Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #436
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
rally navigation experiance event in 6 weeks hosted by Dakar stage winner Jonah Street

Where can I get info on this??????????????????????
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #437
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
rally navigation experience event in 6 weeks hosted by Dakar stage winner Jonah Street

Where can I get info on this??????????????????????
Exactly.

Seems like I always hear about this stuff after the fact or just too late to get organized.

We need a Rally Roadbook Event Calendar
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #438
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
I was one of the winning bidders at a fund raiser event sponsered by Touratech here in Seattle.
http://www.cycoactive.com/Adventure/...h-Jonah-Street

I have no plans to do any rally moto races after this event so buying a $500 road book holder was not going to happen. You guys should have more faith in me though. I have the second mock up set up now with an electric motor hooked up. I'll have it set up to scroll with the horn button.
I used to rally race cars back in the mid ninties so I have a bit of an idea what to expect. I'll do some testing before I turn up at the event in 6 weeks to make sure I don't embarise myself. Thanks for the input though.
Make sure you're carrying a camera. We wouldn't want to miss anything
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #439
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Just a quick tip on where to reinforce the stock KTM navi bracket, which I find to be perfect for a Rally Lite setup.

You need to weld extra material to (A): in my case, square stainless steel rod of 4cm length and 5mm thickness,
and (B) add a bit of material to the little cutoffs that remain after they machine the whole thing at the factory...

they are notorious for starting little cracks there, which from vibration will ultimately snap the two front supports off the tower, and get you into deep trouble

Thought I'd share this today as I picked up a friend's tower from the local welder, hope it helps.
They aren't the prettiest looking welds, but they get the job done

Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #440
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,233
Quote:
I was one of the winning bidders at a fund raiser event sponsered by Touratech here in Seattle.
http://www.cycoactive.com/Adventure/...h-Jonah-Street

I have no plans to do any rally moto races after this event so buying a $500 road book holder was not going to happen. You guys should have more faith in me though. I have the second mock up set up now with an electric motor hooked up. I'll have it set up to scroll with the horn button.
I used to rally race cars back in the mid ninties so I have a bit of an idea what to expect. I'll do some testing before I turn up at the event in 6 weeks to make sure I don't embarise myself. Thanks for the input though.
You can get the first generation F2R roadbook for $265....use it and then sell it used and get all or most of your money back. Getting a good motorized thumb switch activated roadbook will make your training session much better. if you are training in Nevada it will be hot. Now think about how many times you will have to take your hands off the bars to scroll the roadbook....this means you risk a crash while riding or you have to stop every time to advance the roadbook. If your paper tears or binds because the rollers are relying on paper tension to move together then that is another time you will have to stop moving. Wearing full riding gear in the desert sun and having to stop and work on some aspect of your bike will sap energy and liquid out of you. These little things add up and not only ruin the experience but can result in dehydration and heat exhaustion (I sound extreme but it does not take long when there is no shade and direct sun on a 100 deg day).

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 01:34 PM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #441
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,850
x2 on all that below.
I lost power to the F2R before during a past roadbook ride. The F2R knobs make it real easy to just take your left hand and slide up both knobs and advance the roadbook real fast. (and safe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
You can get the first generation F2R roadbook for $265....use it and then sell it used and get all or most of your money back. Getting a good motorized thumb switch activated roadbook will make your training session much better. if you are training in Nevada it will be hot. Now think about how many times you will have to take your hands off the bars to scroll the roadbook....this means you risk a crash while riding or you have to stop every time to advance the roadbook. If your paper tears or binds because the rollers are relying on paper tension to move together then that is another time you will have to stop moving. Wearing full riding gear in the desert sun and having to stop and work on some aspect of your bike will sap energy and liquid out of you. These little things add up and not only ruin the experience but can result in dehydration and heat exhaustion (I sound extreme but it does not take long when there is no shade and direct sun on a 100 deg day).
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #442
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,850
Paul,
I really like the direction you are heading with this one. On thing that sticks out relates to my recent post on the F2R. Your bracket around it will not allow for easy manual rotation of the knobs. I feel it is important to be able to easily rotate them if something comes up.
Again, did not skip a beat when I lost power to the F2R in a roadbook ride once. Just took my left hand and slid it over the top of the 2 knobs. Real fast and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post

Let me know what you think and as always be brutal.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #443
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
I replaced the crap plastic axels with aluminum shafts then fabbed up a little internal pully system. It's working pretty well now. I'll get it mounted on the bike with the electric drive a little closer to my event next month.

This thing would never have worked for me in it's stock set up, oh well, now I know :)

now be sure to test it with 100mm width paper

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #444
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
now be sure to test it with 100mm width paper
You mean the standard 6" (150mm) roadbook size right? Ya, the internal belt system gets in the way.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #445
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
You mean the standard 6" (150mm) roadbook size right? Ya, the internal belt system gets in the way.

yes, that is what I meant...just check my australian road book...was thinking it looked smaller than 6"

Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #446
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Here is my new weekend racer set-up

Scored a used TT RB holder on ebay, got the regular DS version of the ICO and used a HDPE cutting-board as the base.

Used two steel brackets mounted to the hand-guard mounts to support the RB holder. With the BRP dog bones there is no way to use a handlbar mounted system like the one Rally Management Services provides.

Lexan rally fairing mock up

Finished Lexan rally fairing.

The whole setup is on/off in 20 minutes

Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #447
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Here is my new weekend racer set-up

Looks really nice, YP! Shows that you don't need to spend much to put together a workable setup. A few comments: Most people like the roadbook further forward and pointing more upward so that it is easier to read while standing. The ICO DS can't read in KM like the VRL can.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #448
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Thanks for the pointers Charlie.

I can easily adjust the angle by bending the brackets, just need to do a test ride to figure out the optimal angle.

Yes the ICO DS only does miles, but it's 1/2+ less than the VR Rallye.

When I end up doing an actual rally I'll fork out for the Km version.

When you guys do your training runs are the RBs set up in Km or Miles or both?

Thanks, Dan
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #449
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
the ktm stock ODO that was used in 03 pn 58314069300 I used in the Mex 1 K has two trip meters, the trip 2 is adjustable and has MI and Km capability.. it also has a clock, av speeds, lap timers, max speeds and if a certain wire is cut can countdown as well...
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #450
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
When you guys do your training runs are the RBs set up in Km or Miles or both?
We start people in miles, because we don't know what ODO capability they have. But we encourage anyone seriously considering rally to switch to KM for training so that they can develop the feel of timing how long KM distances are covered.

HogWild's fancy roadbook-a-majig can print any route in either format.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote