Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #586
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Racing by a roadbook ( roll chart ) is a lot of FUN!!!!
And most here would argue skill and adventure too!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #587
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
What skill do you need to follow a GPS arrow?????? and a route line on your screen ????
You're in the wrong thread. The real point here is, what skill is needed in buying a RAM mount for your GPS????? Much more fun and challenging to design and build your own compete rally navigation bracket!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #588
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
you're in the wrong thread. The real point here is, what skill is needed in buying a ram mount for your gps????? Much more fun and challenging to design and build your own compete rally navigation bracket!
+1.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #589
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,297
Enduro Computers

Quote:
What skill do you need to follow a GPS arrow?????? and a route line on your screen ????
ZERO ________________________________!!!!
Racing by a roadbook ( roll chart ) is a lot of FUN!!!!

JMO!!!
I know what your saying and I agree, enduro computers take the thinking out of those events too, my checkmate tells me if I'm late , on time or early with a quick glance. But go to an enduro these days and no one is using the old school timekeeping equipment.

My point was, that if you allow GPS's into the event, the roadbook becomes less important, or not necessary.

BTW, here's my roadbook setup. I'm not against a roadbook event, but I think it has to be roadbook only to be challenging.

Another setup on my 650

I've entered many enduros with these setups to test them for reliablity.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 04:32 AM
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #590
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash View Post

My point was, that if you allow GPS's into the event, the roadbook becomes less important, or not necessary.

BTW, here's my roadbook setup. I'm not against a roadbook event, but I think it has to be roadbook only to be challenging.

Hey Jack, at the MX1K this they ran both and in my experience, the RB was the better choice for navigation and information about the route. The GPS just offered a line on a flat surface but the RB offered clues to the terrain and landmarks for navigation. At times, the RB didn't offer information and the GPS would fill in the gaps but the RB was the best option.

Having never even looked at a RB before starting the race, it took me a few days to get accustomed to it and to trust it, but I did. On Day 2 my GPS was in my pocket I guess I'm agreeing with but only if the RB is good.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #591
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Hey Jack,

Where is your switch to scroll the roadbook. I'm not seeing it.

At first i thought you had ingeniously wired your TT roadbook to the turnsignal switch, but then I saw you had turn signals.

Thanks, Dan
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #592
jack splash
Two Sheds

GPS Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey Jack, at the MX1K this they ran both and in my experience, the RB was the better choice for navigation and information about the route. The GPS just offered a line on a flat surface but the RB offered clues to the terrain and landmarks for navigation. At times, the RB didn't offer information and the GPS would fill in the gaps but the RB was the best option.

Having never even looked at a RB before starting the race, it took me a few days to get accustomed to it and to trust it, but I did. On Day 2 my GPS was in my pocket I guess I'm agreeing with but only if the RB is good.
Crank: The GPS info used at the M1K was most likely just a "track", a line of a previously traveled path. At the PB300 we use a "route" a waypoint by waypoint giudance system. Theres an arrow also called a "pointer" that tells when to turn. And as Hogwild mentioned in his posts about making the tulips, the placement of the waypoints for the route are the important detail, if you put the waypoint to close to the turn, riders blow by it. If it's to far from the turn, they get confused. We preride the "route" many times, to make sure the pointer turns at the right time. Just like hogwild prerides his tulips. We also get riders with no local knowledge, who never rode the course to see how someone can follow the route for prerides.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org

jack splash screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 09:47 AM
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #593
jack splash
Two Sheds

Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Hey Jack,

Where is your switch to scroll the roadbook. I'm not seeing it.

Thanks, Dan
Dan: I broke it. if I ever need the roadbook, I'll buy another.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #594
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Hey Jack,
What faring is this? I like the look of this. More pics PLEASE!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #595
jack splash
Two Sheds

One more point.

Hey: Just to be clear, I'd love to do a roadbook event. I'd also like the enduros to go back to real timekeeping, but thats not going to happen.

Keeping time in an enduro was what made it fun and challenging. I started riding enduros in the mid 70's, before electronic watches and timers. Over the years, enduro computers evolved into devices that tell you when your hot, possible check placements and everything else you might want to know, except wheres the taco stand.

Now, the national "enduro" series got rid of the timekeeping altogether, because the new riders don't to buy the timekeeping equipment or learn how to use it. A national enduro now is just a bunch of "start controls" and a series of sprints. No fun at all, you might as welll enter a hare scramble or MX. The old school enduro is dead on the US national circuit.

If the plight of enduro timekeeping tells us anything, it won't be long before the old school roadbook goes the way of the wrist watch and route sheet. I can hear it now, the official reason will be something like, "in order to get more and younger riders, the Rally committe has decided that any smart phone will be accepted as a navigation device"

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #596
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Crank: The GPS info used at the M1K was most likely just a "track", a line of a previously traveled path. At the PB300 we use a "route" a waypoint by waypoint giudance system. Theres an arrow also called a "pointer" that tells when to turn. And as Hogwild mentioned in his posts about making the tulips, the placement of the waypoints for the route are the important detail, if you put the waypoint to close to the turn, riders blow by it. If it's to far from the turn, they get confused. We preride the "route" many times, to make sure the pointer turns at the right time. Just like hogwild prerides his tulips. We also get riders with no local knowledge, who never rode the course to see how someone can follow the route for prerides.

Jack
oh yea, Connex style. The MX1k did have just a line, you're right. Having ridden the Paris to Dacre using that format, I blew past a few turns
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #597
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866
Touratech fairing with a BD light below.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-for-BMW-G450X

Quote:
Hey Jack,
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #598
jack splash
Two Sheds

Fairing

Quote:
Hey Jack,

Bajadad: Thanks, it's a touratech item for the HP2, it came with HID lights to. I'm not sure if it's still available and most likely you can't purchase just the fairing, but that would be a great idea.

I'll put more pics up later today.

jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
Old 06-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #599
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
If the plight of enduro timekeeping tells us anything, it won't be long before the old school roadbook goes the way of the wrist watch and route sheet.
Since another thread was created to discuss the roadbooks (the paper part) as opposed to the brackets, I've responded over there (post 15) ...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801843
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #600
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Received the 690 version of the HDB rally lite mount on Friday. As usual, the quality is amazing and the entire mount is very light and strong.

First, the base plate/damper mount....

Then the lower bar clamps....

Then the top bar clamp goes on....

After the bars clamp is done, it's time to mount the lower nav tower bracket on the lower triple clamp.....

Upper tower bolts on base plate...

Everything is kept loose until all the bolts are installed then everything gets tightened up. I'm waiting for the headlights, so I'll finish the install next week. Looking forward to testing it out!