Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #616
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
Really like the looks of the HDB kit - looking forward to more pics/info & bike model support (hint 450X)
More pics.....

Head lights mounted up and ready for wiring

Next step is mounting the ODO....

still playing with the headlight options for mounting. Might flip the top light (Spot) upside down to get the pair closer together but need to fire the lights up first to see the patterns. The Baja designs lights are very rugged, should survive just about anything you can dish out.

As you can see, the latest revision of the side plates allows for some adjustment. The idea is that the mount can be used on many different bikes, not just a 690 or a XCF-W. Once I get my new F2R, I'll be able to play with the orientation of the RB bracket. More pics coming soon.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #617
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
still playing with the headlight options for mounting. Might flip the top light (Spot) upside down to get the pair closer together but need to fire the lights up first to see the patterns. The Baja designs lights are very rugged, should survive just about anything you can dish out..
I have my top unit upside down as the light's cooling fins then left more room for me to mount my ram ball/gps.

Went for a test ride last night... only had one light hooked up; the light was impressive!

Uli had 2 rigid 4 led lights.... daniel had 1 rigid 6 led light... my single squadron was brighter and threw light further down the trail than both of their lights together.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #618
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I have my top unit upside down as the light's cooling fins then left more room for me to mount my ram ball/gps.

Went for a test ride last night... only had one light hooked up; the light was impressive!

Uli had 2 rigid 4 led lights.... daniel had 1 rigid 6 led light... my single squadron was brighter and threw light further down the trail than both of their lights together.

That is good to know, thanks! The 690 is going to be my ice bike this winter,and I like to bang laps on my track at night after work (5 pm)

Nice van, I have the same one
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #619
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:

On paper the BD has more lumens. I am still curious if Uli or Daniel had the flood or the spot/driving pattern. Rigid flood pattern does not have as much reach as the Rigid spot/driving pattern. (4 or 6LED)

I would like to get with you to do a apples/apples comparison this summer. I would love to see Paul's setup in person. It is looking good.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #620
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
More pics ... The Baja designs lights are very rugged, should survive just about anything you can dish out.
I was arrested in northern New York state 4 or 5 years ago. I had PIAA Ultra Bright Light Halogen bulbs into my R1200GS.

The officer was writing the ticket for illegal lightning. Whatever I was trying to explain to him. This ignorant bastard would listen only so much to whatever argument. I had kept the original PIAA plastic box clearly showing him that these were halogen. That was the only argument that save my day.

That police officer had no idea what D.O.T. stamped in the optic could mean.
This police officer didn't have a clue what an Halogen bulb could look like. For him, everything blue was an HID retrofit.

So, I'm wondering what will happen if you meet the same AssHat with those non D.O.T. leds ??? He will shoot you down on sight !!!

Paul Jr
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #621
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
On paper the BD has more lumens. I am still curious if Uli or Daniel had the flood or the spot/driving pattern. Rigid flood pattern does not have as much reach as the Rigid spot/driving pattern. (4 or 6LED)

I would like to get with you to do a apples/apples comparison this summer. I would love to see Paul's setup in person. It is looking good.
From everything I've read, lumens claims are all over the map. Just like any advertising, manufacturers to tend to embellish when it suits them. From the reviews I've seen, the BD products have been pretty true to all the claims, so a back to back is the only real way to know for sure.

I have a Stryker headlamp for Rallymoto night stages and it's amazing how much light the little LED throws out. I borrowed a Rigid light from a friend to mess around with and the light it put out was impressive.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #622
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,859
No gray area on this. BD & Rigid clearly advertise these as Off Road Lights.
I assume if a person was to get pulled over and the officer does not see D.O.T on the light lens, it would result in ticket, fine, impound whatever the officer decides to do.

What you described is different. (Having D.O.T. aux lights and still getting ticket.)
Is that what you were written up for? "Illegal lighting" or some other infraction.

FYI for all reading this. (I am not implying in any way what Gros Buck was doing) Even if riding with all D.O.T lights. (primary and aux.) You can still get pulled over and maybe a ticket if you are still not aiming or using them properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
I was arrested in northern New York state 4 or 5 years ago. I had PIAA Ultra Bright Light Halogen bulbs into my R1200GS.

The officer was writing the ticket for illegal lightning. Whatever I was trying to explain to him. This ignorant bastard would listen only so much to whatever argument. I had kept the original PIAA plastic box clearly showing him that these were halogen. That was the only argument that save my day.

That police officer had no idea what D.O.T. stamped in the optic could mean.
This police officer didn't have a clue what an Halogen bulb could look like. For him, everything blue was an HID retrofit.

So, I'm wondering what will happen if you meet the same AssHat with those non D.O.T. leds ??? He will shoot you down on sight !!!

Paul Jr
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #623
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
I have a Stryker headlamp for Rallymoto night stages and it's amazing how much light the little LED throws out. I borrowed a Rigid light from a friend to mess around with and the light it put out was impressive.
The Rigid's put out a good amount of light and it does look like the Baja Designs squadron light might put out a but more than the Rigid. Both are massive improvements over any stock halogen.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #624
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The Rigid's put out a good amount of light and it does look like the Baja Designs squadron light might put out a but more than the Rigid. Both are massive improvements over any stock halogen.
I'm ditching the HID actually, really liking the compact LED's
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #625
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
FYI for all reading this. (I am not implying in any way what Gros Buck was doing) Even if riding with all D.O.T lights. (primary and aux.) You can still get pulled over and maybe a ticket if you are still not aiming or using them properly.
From what I know, you're right. If I had put 100 watts halogene into a 55 watts optic. But PIAA were 55 watts exactly like the OEM. They are just more efficient at producing light. They are also a bit more "blueish". I did not get the ticket. I avoid it by showing the original packaging. A plastic box with PIAA logo and info on it. Hopefully I was carrying it.

BUt the point here is that if you have the autority to arrest someone, you should have a minimum knowledge at it. It is very easy to differentiate halogen with HID ...

That said, is it that common in New England to get arrested for that ???

Paul Jr
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #626
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
I'm thinking that if anybody is arrested for a headlight issue, there is more to the story than bulb wattage and DOT markings...

Ticketed? It's pretty easy for a cop to find a reason to issue you a citation if that's what he is looking to do.

pfb screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:36 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #627
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

But back on topic, it would be interesting to see more comparisons on Rigid vs. Baja Designs compact LED's. But in addition to looking at total light output, beam pattern, perceived 'brightness', it is probably worth looking at light output per $ as the pricing varies wildly.
  • Squadron's are an uber-pricey $330 EACH, street price around $300.
  • Rigid Dually's are $100 each list, with an $85-$90 street price, less than 1/3 of the Squadrons.
  • Ridid Dually D2's (same size as a dually, but almost twice the output) are $200 each, with similar street price discounts.

Dually.

D2:

Squadron:

Paul, any idea if the Rigid LED's will mount up to your brackets? It would be nice to have the option of using either light (especially, cough cough, if you already have rigid dually's!)

pfb screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:46 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #628
Geek
oot & aboot

Paul: fwiw... last Saturday night Uli had two rigid 2x2's turned on and Daniel had a Rigid 2x8 turned on (as well as their stock 950SE rally headlight (useless) and 950ADV (hid+euro lense))...

I rolled in between them and turned on a single Squadron. We were all shocked at how much stuff I lit up that all of their lights combined didn't reach. I'm not trying to justify my purchase; if it wasn't better I'd send mine back and save the money and buy the other... but the difference was substantial.

The squadron threw light remarkably further down the trail. I wish I had had my second one wired up (although I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to need it for).

Daniel's response: "well that's depressing..."

Geek screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:50 PM
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #629
Geek
oot & aboot

Paul: do you have some rigids? Lets get together.. I'll bring a good camera that we can lock all the settings on and we can take a bunch of comparison photos?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #630
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Paul: fwiw... last Saturday night Uli had two rigid 2x2's turned on and Daniel had a Rigid 2x8 turned on (as well as their stock 950SE rally headlight (useless) and 950ADV (hid+euro lense))...

I rolled in between them and turned on a single Squadron. We were all shocked at how much stuff I lit up that all of their lights combined didn't reach.

The squadron threw light remarkably further down the trail. I wish I had had my second one wired up (although I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to need it for).l
Exactly. How much light is enough? For a non-competitive roadbook ride that runs long and puts you in the dark? Or full-on balls-out nighttime desert racing? And can you have too much light? One problem with hyper-bright forward facing lights is you pretty much destroy any peripheral vision to unlit or dimly lit areas...

And if $160 worth of LED lighting is 'enough', am I getting any value in a super-bright $300+ light?

Not drawing any conclusions, just throwing out some thoughts.