Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #721
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
You guys blow me away with all your technical 3D drawings etc! All I have is a measuring tape, a square and a pencil!!

Here is the story of my backyard bodgyness:

The scary drilling holes part in the headstem:

The mounting block:

Which was all wrong so had to be cut off because the nylock nuts seized on the bolts!

Re-working:

The finished product:

Using a hole through the steering lock tab at the top where the lock parts won't hit:

From the inside:

Making the "Nav" tower now which will mount my lights, front fairing mounts, factory instrument cluster, switches, 12v outlets and GPS mount.
Joe Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #722
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,965
I have thought about the high density polyethylene, usually it copes ok with uv, they use it in pipes, flanges etc. Now to make just the main skeleton out of hdpe, this is sth that did not cross my mind... as the only problem I see the bending. You have to warm it in order to bend it and you may end up destroying the thing but then again it is so chep so who cares . I like the idea of the carbon outer shell. Soft core with hard shell . we have an hdpe supplier so I will make an enquiry about the main plates.
Fiberglass would be another idea but I know the people who do CF so I think we will give the HDPE-CF combination a go!!

My concern are the vibrations and if they will affect the reading of the roadbook. The plan is to use rubber washers with nord locks to dampen the vibs and make sure. It stays in place. Using HDPE you get the dampening for free.
Plus it comes in colors . My supplier will only have black but I am sure I can trace an online store with thick HDPE in stock.

Creative thinking.. This is what I love shout this thread!!

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 02:04 AM Reason: spelling
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #723
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
You guys blow me away with all your technical 3D drawings etc! All I have is a measuring tape, a square and a pencil!
I have the same as the above plus a pc with the right software
Nice plate, keep it coming!
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #724
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 603
Thanks for showing that stoneage engineering still works!!!
That's how I build most of my projects.
TravelGuy

Quote:
You guys blow me away with all your technical 3D drawings etc! All I have is a measuring tape, a square and a pencil!!

Here is the story of my backyard bodgyness:

The scary drilling holes part in the headstem:

The mounting block:

Which was all wrong so had to be cut off because the nylock nuts seized on the bolts!

Re-working:

The finished product:

Using a hole through the steering lock tab at the top where the lock parts won't hit:

From the inside:

Making the "Nav" tower now which will mount my lights, front fairing mounts, factory instrument cluster, switches, 12v outlets and GPS mount.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #725
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Nice work Joe Watson. Keeping it simple is good.

One small tip. You won't be able to tighten the nuts without spinning the bolts in the steering tube, which means removing the stem to fit tools, and you hardly want to do that in the field. They do tend to work loose in this configuration.

If you simply weld a small plate between the two left-side bolts and another between the two right-side bolts, you'll prevent the bolts from spinning. And you should still be able to remove them.

Another option is to have a backing plate inside the stem, tapped for your bolts, then just have 4 bolts and no nuts. Still all serviceable from the outside. Slightly harder to fab since you have to curve the plate.

Cheers,
Dave
DaveRMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #726
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
Nice work Joe Watson. Keeping it simple is good.

One small tip. You won't be able to tighten the nuts without spinning the bolts in the steering tube, which means removing the stem to fit tools, and you hardly want to do that in the field. They do tend to work loose in this configuration.

If you simply weld a small plate between the two left-side bolts and another between the two right-side bolts, you'll prevent the bolts from spinning. And you should still be able to remove them.

Another option is to have a backing plate inside the stem, tapped for your bolts, then just have 4 bolts and no nuts. Still all serviceable from the outside. Slightly harder to fab since you have to curve the plate.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the tip! I used nylock nuts, spring washers and cranked them pretty tight, so fingers crossed they stay put for while. I will check on them every now and then though now that you have said that, thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #727
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Yeah Joe that was my first concern when i saw the pics. If i was you i'd weld a vertical plate between the bolts left and bolts right as they will have the same taper inside the tube. Similar to JVO but 2 vertical plates instead of one diagonal:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345456397.352196.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  58.7 KB
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #728
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Also, any trouble with the steering stops and steering lock with that lower bolt?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #729
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Nah, the steering lock is at the top of the headstem and I have made it clear the steering stops at the bottom by about 2mm.

Here is my progress from tonight:

The lights will be hung underneath:

Basically finished making the hanging brackets:

Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #730
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
That's how they think Fabrizio Meoni died in the 2005 Dakar, RIP. Probably hit in the neck by his navigation equipment. I saw the bike and nav tower a little while after he fell and it was not pretty. Keep it as low and flat as you can and minimize sharp edges.

Check out Jonah Street's bike from the last Dakar. He made the navigation tower and fairing himself. It is much lower and further forward than most of the others out there and I think that this makes it safer, more aerodynamic, and easier to read when standing (when your chin should be out over the handlebars.) Nobody said it was pretty, though:

http://pilbara.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...akar-009-M.jpg

fun fun
Charlie
I think that looks rad!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #731
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I used nylock nuts, spring washers and cranked them pretty tight, so fingers crossed they stay put for while. I will check on them every now and then though now that you have said that, thanks!

Red Loctite?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #732
Joe Watson
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Red Loctite?

No, I didn't use loctite as it eats the nylon locking section of the nylock nuts. I have the same nylock nuts used in a number of places on my bike which have been on there for well over 5000kms and many many hours of riding, so I know they will be fine. Like I said, I will keep an eye on them and make sure they stay tight.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #733
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Tileman a thought HDPE with a carbon wrap .this would strengthen and make it more rigid (and look sexy ) in the advent of a crash the carbon should just crack leaving the HDPE to flex this would also block UV .

It would also mean the HDPE could be thinner . Just a thought to be proven
Since you've sold some of the parts from your previous build (I think), when is the new thread starting and therefore you can trial this idea first (challenge time).........
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #734
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post

Another option is to have a backing plate inside the stem, tapped for your bolts, then just have 4 bolts and no nuts. Still all serviceable from the outside.

Cheers,
Dave
Since I think you can weld, therefore just weld nuts on the inside. Or as stated above tap a plate on the inside, I did this on mine and had no problems.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #735
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Since you've sold some of the parts from your previous build (I think), when is the new thread starting and therefore you can trial this idea first (challenge time).........

Nope have not sold any thing yet as i don't know what i will need for next build
apart from $$$$$$$. my nav tower is staying the same might change out the lights to the BD squadron LED type as it will clear up some room be removing the ballasts from the 90mm HID Hella's.
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote