Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #886
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Well, I had a guy crash in front of me and I hit the ground pretty hard and the mount didn't budge. Tangled with another guy trying to pass on a hill climb and dumped it with no problems. Watch the video and see the crash and how nasty the terrain was....I'm the guy on the left at the start by the way, not the rider
Aaron, the only thing missing from that video are flying monkeys picking off riders as they went by!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #887
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Aaron, the only thing missing from that video are flying monkeys picking off riders as they went by!
You didn't see them in the video?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #888
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post

The weight saving is not much but because you are taking the weight out of the handlebars the more weight you can save, the better will be for the rider in the longer riding periods (multi day rallies etc).

As far as the Roadbook cage is concerned, I now (after crankshaft's post about the bended RB frame) think that this may be a good idea . A way to protect the MD motor as well would be popular since a lot of people seem to use MD Roadbooks as well. An addon cage for the MD Roadbook would not be difficult to fabricate and bolt it on the main roadbook holder... Anyways, food for thought...
I on the other hand, am working on a new roadbook, as a whole unit, but due to being away from home during the week things are progressing slow, since during the weekend I have to do other things as well ... I will post pics this weekend with the basics of the thing, but I am trying to get away from the conventional setups at the moment. The idea is to built one which will have a cartridge that you take out, you put the paper, you mark the paper roll on the cartridge outside of the RB and then you put it as a whole into the unit. Multiple cartidges means that you will just swap the things in the Bivouac as either you or somebody from you team will have the cartridge ready beforehand ... Let me know your thoughts on this, and if anybody else wants something from a roadbook that there is not there today and I will upload some pics on Saturday to discuss it in more detail

-o0-
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #889
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post

The weight saving is not much but because you are taking the weight out of the handlebars the more weight you can save, the better will be for the rider in the longer riding periods (multi day rallies etc).

As far as the Roadbook cage is concerned, I now (after crankshaft's post about the bended RB frame) think that this may be a good idea . A way to protect the MD motor as well would be popular since a lot of people seem to use MD Roadbooks as well. An addon cage for the MD Roadbook would not be difficult to fabricate and bolt it on the main roadbook holder... Anyways, food for thought...
I on the other hand, am working on a new roadbook, as a whole unit, but due to being away from home during the week things are progressing slow, since during the weekend I have to do other things as well ... I will post pics this weekend with the basics of the thing, but I am trying to get away from the conventional setups at the moment. The idea is to built one which will have a cartridge that you take out, you put the paper, you mark the paper roll on the cartridge outside of the RB and then you put it as a whole into the unit. Multiple cartidges means that you will just swap the things in the Bivouac as either you or somebody from you team will have the cartridge ready beforehand ... Let me know your thoughts on this, and if anybody else wants something from a roadbook that there is not there today and I will upload some pics on Saturday to discuss it in more detail

-o0-
Sound GOOD !!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #890
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:

-o0-

The cartridge idea is great, makes good sense to do it that way.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #891
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Sound GOOD !!!!
What RB did you run last year Mark? What did you think?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #892
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
What RB did you run last year Mark? What did you think?
I ran a 5 year old MD.
I love the MD Road book and I will keep using it until somthing better comes out.
But I think I will be installing F2R's on the 5 bikes that I am preping for a few guys.
Just do to the fact they are almost half the price of the MD.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #893
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
The idea is to built one which will have a cartridge that you take out, you put the paper, you mark the paper roll on the cartridge outside of the RB and then you put it as a whole into the unit.
What if instead of a cartridge, the whole roadbook holder removed from the bike with some type of quick disconnect fasteners and electrical connector? Then you can use any type of existing roadbook holder.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #894
Tomaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
I'm hoping someone in the US will start making roadbooks.
I bent the frame of my F2R and it would be nice to be able to order just the frame. Unfortunately, they don't offer frames as repair parts.
Hi Crankshaft, please check your PM.
Tomaz Pessanha
F2R
Tomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #895
640 Armageddon
-oo-

I dont know but does anybody except Tony's friend have used these? At least the price is good ...

http://www.migtecmotos.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
What if instead of a cartridge, the whole roadbook holder removed from the bike with some type of quick disconnect fasteners and electrical connector? Then you can use any type of existing roadbook holder.
While this may work, as a racer I want to avoid (if possible) the process of putting the paper on the Roadbook in the bivouacs. While it may work for some people, it is a tedious process and personally I tend to tear the paper most of the time . I repair it without problems and it is a part of the rally spirit but I find it difficult to put my fingers inside the thing, put tape on the axles and have to roll it all the way in. I also tend to need time to do other things (mainly the bike that is ... damn Europeans ) so if I have something that I change like a tape in a tape recorder that would help me a lot. No worries, I stop, take it out, put the next in and off I go. I can have somebody else to that for me in some cases where with the roadbook I prefer to do it my way in the bivouacs so as not to blame anybody when I have a paper jam on the road ...
The other problem that I see is that most people mark the papers using their own system (left/right turns, long straights, danger etc) and in order to do that you have to have something like a ''fake'' unit to use outside of the Roadbook. Touratech has solved this in their step motor version (you can mark with the paper inside the roadbook) but, boy, I have read the manual and it is freaking unbeleivable ... You need a Master's degree to program that thing .. You have probably seen units like these either made from HDPE or from wood.. ... Although you can go to the extremes and put electronics there to make it a cassette player (without the record button of course ) I want to keep it simple so if it fails (1) you can repair it on the spot and (2) you will be able to find everything as a separate part. There were two options here that I was looking. One would be to side load the thing, much like the cassette type gearboxes on the racing bikes. This creates more problems than it solves (at least in my mind ) so the idea did not move forward... The other is to top load the unit which is what I put thought on and I am almost there ... The pulley system needs some though but I will get there

-o0-
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #896
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
I dont know but does anybody except Tony's friend have used these? At least the price is good ...

http://www.migtecmotos.com/

While this may work, as a racer I want to avoid (if possible) the process of putting the paper on the Roadbook in the bivouacs. While it may work for some people, it is a tedious process and personally I tend to tear the paper most of the time . I repair it without problems and it is a part of the rally spirit but I find it difficult to put my fingers inside the thing, put tape on the axles and have to roll it all the way in. I also tend to need time to do other things (mainly the bike that is ... damn Europeans ) so if I have something that I change like a tape in a tape recorder that would help me a lot. No worries, I stop, take it out, put the next in and off I go. I can have somebody else to that for me in some cases where with the roadbook I prefer to do it my way in the bivouacs so as not to blame anybody when I have a paper jam on the road ...
The other problem that I see is that most people mark the papers using their own system (left/right turns, long straights, danger etc) and in order to do that you have to have something like a ''fake'' unit to use outside of the Roadbook. Touratech has solved this in their step motor version (you can mark with the paper inside the roadbook) but, boy, I have read the manual and it is freaking unbeleivable ... You need a Master's degree to program that thing .. You have probably seen units like these either made from HDPE or from wood.. ... Although you can go to the extremes and put electronics there to make it a cassette player (without the record button of course ) I want to keep it simple so if it fails (1) you can repair it on the spot and (2) you will be able to find everything as a separate part. There were two options here that I was looking. One would be to side load the thing, much like the cassette type gearboxes on the racing bikes. This creates more problems than it solves (at least in my mind ) so the idea did not move forward... The other is to top load the unit which is what I put thought on and I am almost there ... The pulley system needs some though but I will get there

-o0-
My enduro roll chart holder is a cartridge system, which makes rolling it on easy. I can sit in the dry van and listen to the radio while I roll the course on
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #897
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
My enduro roll chart holder is a cartridge system, which makes rolling it on easy. I can sit in the dry van and listen to the radio while I roll the course on
Now if only I can find a way to fit a folding umbrela and an ipod dock ... Now that would be something
Old 09-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #898
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Now if only I can find a way to fit a folding umbrela and an ipod dock ... Now that would be something

I'll do you one better.... Digital screen with an iPod dock and all the roadbook files are on a zip drive, that you simply plug in every morning. Lightweight, cheap and no paper to roll on or print. Add Bluetooth and the organizers can load your RB as you roll through tech. Highlighting would be easy. When you're riding the long liasons, choose some music or even a movie

buggy whip defenders in 5.....4......3......2.....1.....
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #899
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
I'll do you one better.... Digital screen with an iPod dock and all the roadbook files are on a zip drive, that you simply plug in every morning. Lightweight, cheap and no paper to roll on or print. Add Bluetooth and the organizers can load your RB as you roll through tech. Highlighting would be easy. When you're riding the long liasons, choose some music or even a movie

buggy whip defenders in 5.....4......3......2.....1.....
a movie ... add to that android system and if the worst happens at least you can wait for the organizers to arrive while playing angrybirds

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 01:19 PM Reason: spelling ...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #900
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
a movie ... add to that android system and if the worst happens at least you can wait for the organizers to arrive while playins angrybirds
I prefer Bike Baron but yea, plenty of opportunities for entertainment while you wait