Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Joel,

Besides the issue with the "Motorrad Online Service System", do you have any idea if I would get the bike to fire and run if I just swap in a BMS-K/DME from a F800GS with a different VIN? Does it need to match the key or is that only the central computer of the bike?

Just want to make sure that I don't screw up the de-mobilizer or something like that permanently....

Yes, it will fire on a similar DME, even from most different models. It will post a mileage code, and if the DME mileage is higher, will post that to the display.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,417
I know this is an older thread and people have moved on, but I want to record my findings with my recent rebuilds in case someone wants to try to convert a 650 to an 800.

First off, the heads ARE different. Besides cams, the 650 head is not machined for the SLS passages but inmates have disabled that system without harm. The 650 wiring harness is the same as the 800 so the SLS connector is there but not enabled in a 650 programming. May throw a code if you install an 800 ECU but you could simply plug in a solenoid if it affected the operation.

The BMS-K is the "Master" which has the electronic identity of the bike. If you replace it, you also need the key that is coded to it and hopefully the IGN switch in order to start the bike. Then match all locks or deal with 2 keys. So you could put an 800 ECU on a 650 as long as you have the key. I have yet to try this theory. If you buy an ECU from a wrecked bike you can assume it's identity and MOSS won't care or say "already in use".

On the 800GS ABS retrofit I did, I ADDED an ABS computer and the bike didn't care, no fault codes using GS911. The red ABS light wouldn't flash on the instrument panel tho. I then replaced the ZFE with one that read "ABS Equipped". That made no difference and no codes either. I then installed a Kombi instrument cluster from an 800 with ABS programming and everything worked like a factory install. Except the mileage was wrong. The Kombi will display whatever is on it, whether higher or lower than the correct. I verified that.. On 2007 and earlier Kombi's you can delete the incorrect mileage code and carry on with whatever it has on it. On the newer units, it will continue to flash so you have to put it on "Trip 1" or just ignore it. You can't reprogram the original gauges for ABS because that VIN never came with it. Not allowed. I don't know if you could just reset the mileage on the ABS programmed set without re-reprogramming it which would delete ABS and get you nowhere. So I rode the bike with no ABS warning light and correct mileage. I tested the ABS each ride to be sure. So the point is, all the computers EXCEPT the BMS-K were changed on the bike with no effect on the running part. I don't see why you can't change the BMS-K (with the key) and maintain your old computers.

If you are changing just your Kombi gauges, you will need a set from the same model (650 for 650 etc) if you have ABS. My 800 GS or ST gauges on my 650 disable the ABS due to an "incorrect variant" code. Everything works normally except the ABS and TPMS because there was no programming for the TPMS. So I'm riding the 650 without ABS, TPMS and the mileage flashes constantly. Whatever. I can't find a correct 650 set and am currently waiting for my Dealer appt with no guarantees on the reprogramming.

If you smoke your ABS computer while welding or something (seems to happen a lot!) you will need a replacement from the SAME MODEL. I.E. a 650 for a 650, an 800GS for an 800GS and an 800ST,S or R from the same. I know for a fact you can't put an 800ST ABS unit on an 800GS and have it work. The units are stamped for EXACTLY what they're for. My retrofit unit was stamped K72 800 which is code for F800GS. A 650 (K72 650) has one disc and an 800 has two so the GS's can't be swapped amongst themselves. The 700 with an 800? Who knows.

I'll update the info should I get around to installing my 800R engine into the 650GS.

Reaver screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 08:13 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #18
belinassu
n00b

Oddometer: 4
i installed F800R camshafts on my f650gs and reprogrammed BMSK ecu

engine revs better and with much power.
only bmsk reprogramming gave me +5HP maximum and +8HP at max torque rev
with different cams engine perform better in high rev, but weaker in low rev
650 original cams are the best for low revs...
belinassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #19
Reaver
Outta Here

Excellent. That's what Erling was going to do before leaving us on a 1200.

Can you give us more details on the programming please? Who did it and what program? F800GS BMSK on a 650?

The results are much like a road bike then.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 365
throttle bodies

I think the throttle bodies on the 650/700 are smaller than the 800
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Tinkerer View Post
I think the throttle bodies on the 650/700 are smaller than the 800
No.

I had a 650, 800GS and a 800R side by each.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Excellent. That's what Erling was going to do before leaving us on a 1200.

Can you give us more details on the programming please? Who did it and what program? F800GS BMSK on a 650?

The results are much like a road bike then.
... Havent done it yet....
Pfsstttttt.... ask me again tomorrow.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote