Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Wicked F800gs long distance and slow speed question??

I was wondering how the f800gs is on long days 400 miles, not planning on changing the seat and also how is it on slow speed trails, first gear??? I test rode one and it was great but it was only a 40 minute ride so not sure how it will be on longer rides and didn't get a chance to mess around with first gear in the parking lot. Any thoughts would be great, also looking at the 1200 gs but if the 800 works I think I'd rather get that.
Thanks
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,056
Lots of info here on this - spend some time reading if you have not already. If you don't want to change the seat plan for lots of short breaks . many people go for a 15 tooth in the front to improve low speed riding.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Change the seat and be prepared to stand a lot if you are going that slow for that long. The 800 over the 1200 all day long if you are using the machine at slower speeds. Going to highway cruise then the 1200 is probably a better choice.

Test ride it again its a big purchase. For the record I'm really loving my 800. It's really quite a good compromise between a ride that can roll the asphalt and still explore the backwoods.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
You're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions about the seat. I have no problem with it, 600-mile days are the norm for me, and I've done a Saddle-Sore (1,000-mi/24 hrs.) and a Bun Burner (1,500 mi./36 hrs.) on the stock seat. But others say it just kills them. Go figure.

The high 1st gear can be a problem until you get used to it, and learn how to feather the clutch a lot, especially in rock gardens. But eventually it becomes the "new normal."

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,314
I think, in my opinion, it depends on what your previous experience is. If you are used to small bikes on single track, you're probably going to be unhappy. If you are used to comfy road bikes on long days, you might be unhappy. I had no dirt experience, and mostly sportbike experience. She's been a great bike, but not without her flaws. I've done 600 mile days and single track/snowmobile trails. I like the versatiliy, but it could have a better seat and be about 80lbs lighter. Again, just my opinion. I am satisfied and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Read up, there are some good write ups here. Also, go visit the KTM threads, the thumpers, etc and get a balanced perspective. Just take all that you read with a grain of salt, like most internet postings there is usually some wisdom mixed in with the idiocracy.
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
You're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions about the seat. I have no problem with it, 600-mile days are the norm for me, and I've done a Saddle-Sore (1,000-mi/24 hrs.) and a Bun Burner (1,500 mi./36 hrs.) on the stock seat. But others say it just kills them. Go figure.

The high 1st gear can be a problem until you get used to it, and learn how to feather the clutch a lot, especially in rock gardens. But eventually it becomes the "new normal."
+ 1 I have not taken to many long long journey (4 hours max) but on the interstate you will have to stop for gas. So that gives you some stoppage time. As for the off road I stand alot more then I sit. The throttle just take time to get use too. No mods or gear adjustments here- riding stock.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
IMO the stock seat sucks at first. It hurt a lot.

But after you put on a few thousand miles, it actually starts to break in, and it isn't nearly as bad. I still prefer my Sargent Enduro, but the stock is livable. YMMV, but I will say give it a chance to break in before even thinking about changing it.

I've had no problems with the gearing; as Woodworks said above, it takes a bit of getting used to, but then it's "the new normal."
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
+ 1 I have not taken to many long long journey (4 hours max) but on the interstate you will have to stop for gas. So that gives you some stoppage time. As for the off road I stand alot more then I sit. The throttle just take time to get use too. No mods or gear adjustments here- riding stock.
If you're doing BOTH slab and off road, the stock gearing is a pretty good compromise. In a perfect world it would have a higher top gear and a lower first gear, but it's really not terrible as is IMO.

I have the low seat, and it's just "ok" on the highway, for long trips I use an Airhawk and that really helps. FWIW I'm going to dish the seat a little in the next few days or weeks. I suspect that will make a huge difference.

Mine has about 11000km now, and it's been really good so far (it's a 2010).
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647

Get the stock seat redone by XPC and you will be very happy. I dropped a tooth in front for better trail riding. It lets me get into second gear at a lower speed which works well for the kind of trails I ride. Little more RPM on the highway but this Rotax loves to rev so I it doesn't bother me.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
+1 on that. My main dirt weapon last year was a CRF450 and getting used to the long first gear on the GS was a little worrying. I thought I would burn the clutch out. But it's actually very effective. I am running stock gearing, and with a light touch on the clutch I can creep over some pretty gnarly stuff without incident.

As for the seat: If you sit in the same position long enough your ass should go numb.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote