User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Mavman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Long distance riding advice needed, F800GS

Within the next couple of months I will head up from Southern Ontario to Montreal for work (and likely stay there for a while). During those months I will probably take a couple of trips between Montreal and Toronto on the bike. I currently own a '10 F800GS with the stock seat/shield and have found that this bike:

a) Has the most horrid seat ever put on a motorbike. Two hours is as long as I can tolerate without
b) The stock windshield is essentially useless (I am around 6ft) and one can argue that the bike is borderline dangerous with even a little crosswind.

So without breaking the bank, what do you guys recommend? I can always get my doc to inject my butt with pain numbing medication for the ride up there

New shield (?), New seat, hand guards? Man, for a $15k bike, one would never imagine they screwed up the ergonomics
Mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
Man, for a $15k bike, one would never imagine they screwed up the ergonomics
I would offer advise... but the stock screen and the low seat (which is the stock with padding removed) work just great for me on the several 600 mile days I've done. People are so quick to assume engineers ignore user needs when something doesn't work for them specifically (this applies to most all products).

That being said... there is a whole thread on windscreens here, I think the TT is a favorite of some people. Also plenty of available seats such as Corbin (expensive), Seat Concepts (a do it yourself foam replacement which is reasonably prices), or an additional pad such as an "air hawk" which is surprisingly expensive but seemingly effective.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderthex View Post
i would offer advise... But the stock screen and the low seat (which is the stock with padding removed) work just great for me on the several 600 mile days i've done. People are so quick to assume engineers ignore user needs when something doesn't work for them specifically (this applies to most all products).
+1
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,766
Bead rider for the seat in summer , Alaska leathers sheep skin for cooler months. 35 mil bar risers ( TT risers for the r1200gs work) you might need longer brake lines 70 bucks. TT wind screen spoiler 120$ . That is as cheap as you can go I think. Maybe a sweet cheeks seat. That is 30 $ I think.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Narrdo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
+ 1 Air Hawk
Rox risers 3/4" low pro
Tall screen, (cal Sci, Ztechnick, Bailey)
Pivit pegs
Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I've yet to find a bike that is 100% perfect in ergonomics (so the GL1800 was close, as is the RT).

I agree that the seat leaves room for improvement but it is designed for on and off road adventures. I found the stock one miserable, just like you, and went with Sargent with great success. Plus wearing the right underwear improves comfort significantly. When I had the ST1300 I managed 200 miles before pain settled in. With LDComfort underwear I was able to tripple that distance on the stock seat.

Using the BMW touring windshield has solved the problem for me as the wind now hits my helmet (which is what I want) and doesn't obscure the view. But windshields are a very personal preference and what works for one doesn't work for somebody else.

Handgards make traveling a bit more comfortable and have actually improved the wind flow overall as well. I'm not receiving wind on the body - just the helmet.

But this is all personal preference and there will be tons of options available to you that might work better (and cheaper - except LDComfort).

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
I ordered a Sargent seat on Sunday and got it today! 4 days, not bad. the seat looks great, put it on during my lunch break, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Alaska leather buttpad for me. I use it on the Sargent enduro and can ride all day; my record is 30 hours. Works well with the stock seat too, if you're going cheap.

Try taking the windscreen off! It doesn't do much at speed anyway, but I've found that I'm perfectly happy without it until I get above 70. Not to mention the bike looks a lot cooler without it.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,718
Anyone had experience with the Seat Concepts seat?... I am thinking of ordering one for my WR250R and would like any feedback, I know they make one for the F800GS too!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
I currently have the "touring" windscreen, and like you I find it a bit lacking on the highway. This subject goes on ad-nauseum here but I'm saving my pennies for one of the Brittania Composites "Mirage 2" fairings. I do quite a bit of highway travel, and most people report it's a major improvement in wind management, with the ability to quickly get the screen down for off road work.

The seat (I have a low) is not great, but +1 on the Airhawk, then it's quite tolerable. I am going to dish mine a bit, stay tuned.

For a lot of highway work I think a bigger c-shaft sprocket is a good idea, although I haven't tried this yet. At 75mph mine is turning at about 5000 rpm. I'd really like to see more like 4000. Easy to swap back, too.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
As far as windscreens go check out these guys, less money that the TT and great customer service:

Britannia Composites Ltd. Mirage2

For seats, try to find a local custom seat company. For $300.00 you should be able to get something far superior to third party seats for less.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 172
I love my XPC racing seat. Very comfortable. Went with suede top and vinyl sides.

Your height might allow you to go with the Wunderlich Wind Deflector, which is easily removeable for dirt. I am 6'3" and am resorting to the F658GS stock screen for some quiet. Tried OEM touring which was okay until I raised my seat height with the XPC racing seat.

I have the BMW small handguards and have worked great for trails. However, they are useless for weather protection. The OEM bar with Wunderlich Hand Guards have gotten good reviews.

Kyle
formerly from Grimsby, ON
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Just after I got my F800GS I had to ride it almost standard for about 10 hours on the highway ... this wasn't all that pleasant!

I got a used BMW Rallye seat, which I found much more comfortable, but at 5'11" I am just too short for it. A local upholsterer modified the Rallye seat by making it a bit, lower, and wider, with another layer of foam over the top. I now like it. I also prefer the Rallye seat cover as its not as abrassive on your thighs as the standard seat. So ... suggestion ... find someone who knows what they are doing and change your seat just a bit.

I have one of the Brittanica Composites windscreens. It's excellent ... I ride with it fully up on the road, and fully down off road, it's really great to have the adjustability.

Two other really cheap fixes that help a lot are the famous Caterpillar "O" ring fix as a throttle lock ... part number 8M4991, and some form of cover for the grips that protect them, reduce vibration, and make the grips a bit bigger ... I use cricket bat grips, but there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses this.

If I was going to travel a long way on the bitumen I would probably gear it up by using a 17 tooth front sprocket instead of 16.

With these mods I think the 800 would be considerably better on road than my old 1100GS was, but I guess its never going to be quite as good as a 1200RT!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #14
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
Here's a related thread on "touring" screens:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post15842088
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,920
I will trow out my 2-cents.

BEADRIDER makes a world of difference.
My bike has hand-guards. I think those are beneficial on the F8GS.
And I'd like something smoother (airflow) than the stock screen. But I have ridden all day with it, so I suppose it 's tolerable.
If you have shoes/boots that fir, I have the rubbers in the pegs for long journey's. (Take them out for the DS-stuff.)
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote