ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
max1138 OP
unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer: 104
Reno Nevada questions

Im contemplating a long term project in the reno area, I know nothing about the place.

how is the weather in winter? places to go to/stay away from?

its seems to be in reach of lots of stuff for a weekender so the concours14 and the klr650 will be making the trip.

housing, are apartment rentals reasonable? Im assuming that the winters will be a bit to cold for RV living and I will be pleased to never spend another night in a motel/hotel. I would like to bring the RV, its home away from home while im out on the road working but never having done a winter there I have concerns.

I usually dont take long term projects that far north, being from mississippi the white fluffy stuff is not fun for me but its an opportunity to spend an extended time in the west that I dont usually get. and never one with enough time to look around and play.
In short is it a cool place to spend a couple of years for someone who rides and hates living in major metro areas?
max1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,342
Yes! to all questions.

If you are bringing a job with you, it will be great.
Outdoorsman paradise.

We have seasons, it's quite nice.

I've know people to spend a lot of time parked here:
http://partners.visitrenotahoe.com/g...raresortrvpark

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Many people live in RVs year round in Reno. That is not to say it won't go below freezing. Just make sure you prep your RV for a freeze. It could be as simple as putting a skirt around and a little heater. Once you experience the riding possibilities you won't want to go back.
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Desert to the east, woods to the west. Lots of lakes and rivers nearby.
Usually cold and dry in winter. Snow in town is mild.
All kinds of riding available.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
211john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
If it snows in Reno it will sit around for 2 or 3 days and melt off.It really only might rain/snow in the winter over a 4 month time span.Many people living in rv's in Nevada due to the jobs in mining.Mucho dual sport riding or pavement riding in the sierras.San Francisco is about 5 hours west.Yosemite is close.Its a very free feeling place.If you get really bored there is always the brothels.The people are laid back.No state income taxes if you establish a residence there.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
bdesj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Winter temps can get to about zero F, rarely much below, and rarely stay there long. Since it`s weather, exceptions have been known to occur. Lately we`ve been getting cold early, like Nov, then warming up for some beautiful Dec and Jan days- ya never can tell. Snow has been MIA for three or four years, and we`re all hoping desperately that it comes back next year for the sake of our dwindling water supply. In an extremely heavy snow year, you might see 4 feet accumulated, depending on elevation. Otherwise, a few good storms dropping around 6 inches and many smaller dumps is pretty much par for the course. Summers usually give us three weeks or so of 100+, but not the "fry an egg" temps like Vegas and Phoenix get. Also very dry, for better or for worse. Very low humidity almost always, and isn`t uncommon to have months in a row with zero precip.

There`s a ton of outdoor adventuring to be had in the area. Neither your Connie or KLR will likely get bored out here. Nor will your hiking boots, fishing rod, hunting stick of choice, road or mountain bikes, climbing gear, or what-ever. As noted above, we`re smack on the edge of the great basin with the Sierra Nevada out one door and high desert (including a different kind of mountains) out the other door. The elevation difference between Reno, the mountain passes just west of here, and the Sac Valley beyond those passes gives you a chance to weekend in a totally different climate if you get fed up with the one you`re hanging your hat in.

Metro area- hmmm... Well, it`s bigger now than I prefer, but it`s home and it`s where my job is, so I stay. Somebody please correct me if my guess is off, but I have to think the population of the Truckee Mdws is around 300-350K now. It sounds like you`re going to be bouncing around the whole region if you come out this way? If so, and if you prefer a smaller town to base yourself out of, Fernley, Carson, Fallon, and Minden/Gardnerville will all have RV parks, hotels, and apartments. Maybe Yerington too, not sure.

It`s been so long since I`ve been on either end of a rental contract the only insight I can offer there is the same you`d find by scanning Craigslist.
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
max1138 OP
unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer: 104
thanks guys it sounds like a good place, some cold temps I can tolerate in the rv just not months of sub freezing temps( got stuck in bismarck ND one winter, never again) no state taxes? I may become a nevada resident before this is over and the possibility of hunting/fishing had never occurred to me, out of state fees usually preclude any hunting/fishing while traveling for the limited amount
of opportunities work allows me but its a long term deal so I may move my residence out there
max1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
bdesj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
No state INCOME tax. Sales tax on just about everything but groceries varies by county- currently 7-point-something in Washoe County (Reno). There is some fishing in NV, but much more in neighboring CA, and you ain`t lying about nonresident license fees there. Hunting in both states for large or small critters.
bdesj is offline   Reply With Quote