ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Trialsbikeadam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Gravel routes around the "wheels through time museum?

Anyone have any gravel routes/tracks around the wheels through time museum?/Maggie Valley, NC? Especially to the south? We've ridden the max patch area a few times. Love riding this area!!! :) Thanks
Trialsbikeadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 277
Balsam Mtn and Heintooga roads make a nice loop to the north. Sure looks like there's plenty of stuff to the southwest, in the vicinity of Slyva and Franklin. I haven't ventured that far south.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 794
US74 Near Topton pich up Wayah Rd (1310) and follow it to US64 by Franklin. If it's open, you can turn left onto Winding Stairs Rd from Wayah and it eventually turn into FS roads. Eat at either the Hot Rod diner for typical stuff or at Cafe Rel for French cuisine...no shit, real French food behind a gas station in NC.

Take NC28 north out of Franklin and turn right onto Cowee Creek Road in Cowee. It can be a pain sometimes and easy to pass up. Make a left onto Leather Gap Rd. That road becomes Huckleberry and eventually Forest Service Rd and goes through Leather Gap. That turns into Government road and then a few more things until you come out in civilization on US441 south of Dillsboro.

Not everything is dirt, in fact much of it isn't but it's ancient tarmac and might as well be dirt. It's a nice day but won't leave you beat up.

This is all off the top of my head, so please check a map.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Trialsbikeadam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys!! That's just the kinda stuff we're looking for
Old 04-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
+1 on Heintooga Rd. When that loop ends, get on Bunches Creek back towards the Parkway, then Jenkins Creek to 19. If you want to ride Winding Stairs, it's open. Very scenic 3 miles of gravel. Tellico Rd is not far from where Winding Stairs turns to pavement. Rainbow Springs, off of Wayah Rd is fun. Closer to Maggie is the Cataloochie area. Worth the drive if you've not been. Get up early if you plan on Cade's Cove/Parsons Branch. FS 81 near the Cherohala Skyway was closed when we left MMM but N River Rd was all good. Have fun.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,489
Maggie Valley is one of my favorite places to base out of for Dual Sport Riding. I've done a few ride reports of my rides in that area. These are a few years old and some of the roads we did at the time have been closed but here's the links. No GPS track but it will give you an idea of what's in the area. There is good dual sport riding in every direction from Maggie Valley.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512682

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630570

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589110

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Trialsbikeadam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great info!!! almost all of these suggestions have been added to the GPS in some form or another!! Can't wait to ride them Thanks again