User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
bahnzii OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Heated gloves help...

I have a pair of Warm-n-Safe gloves currently but I just don't like the fit.
Though they work super well with my heated grips, the fingers are very boxy and I don't like the "bulk" between the fingers.

I'm looking for another pair of heated gloves with a thinner (between the fingers), perhaps more sport oriented fit.
Does anyone have any experience with the Alpinestars Tech Heated gloves?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-heated-gloves

I searched advrider and Google, but I only found the usual suspects, Gerbings, Warm-n-Safe, Tour Master...

Any other recommendations?
bahnzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,885
I'm really interested in those too. I asked in the Revzilla thread in vendors and didn't get much of a response. I think they're too new for anyone to know anything about them. I don't want to be the $200 guinea pig though
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
Alpinestars makes a lot of gear for Triumph and the sport gloves they sell fit well. However, you'll never know untill you try 'em. I know that doesn't help but my 15 odd pair of Triumph gloves do not have baggie fingers at all.
I've had a 50% ave. with A-stars "Dry-Tec". Fully half leaked right out of the bag. If you get them do a bucket test right away.

RevZilla is good on returns but I'm sure you know already.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
I can only comment on the Gerbing T5's. They fit one size larger than normal, so if you are a L normally try the M. Very warm and provide even heat but a little short on protection, at least compared to more sports oriented gloves. No reinforcements on the outside of hand, hard knuckle or sliders on back of fingers. Huge gauntlets work well.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 825
Why not just switch to the WnS glove liners? That's what I'm planning to do. I see 2 advantages. One, I can wear whatever gloves I want over them. No compromises in comfort or safety. And, two, when the gloves need to be replaced, I can do so without having to spend big bucks for another heated set. I.e. If I crash in them, there's a good chance I won't damage the heated liner.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Why not just switch to the WnS glove liners? That's what I'm planning to do. I see 2 advantages. One, I can wear whatever gloves I want over them. No compromises in comfort or safety. And, two, when the gloves need to be replaced, I can do so without having to spend big bucks for another heated set. I.e. If I crash in them, there's a good chance I won't damage the heated liner.
In my experience, they'll be too tight under a proper fitting glove. YMMV.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

My plan is to get the liners and then buy gloves that fit well over them. And have the advantages I mentioned above.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
My plan is to get the liners and then buy gloves that fit well over them. And have the advantages I mentioned above.
I've thought of doing the same, only then the gloves will be too big without the liners
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I've thought of doing the same, only then the gloves will be too big without the liners
Possibly. I don't know, as I haven't done it yet. But, I got the WnS socks. I wear them under my track boots (Sidi Vortice Air) which are good, snug-fitting boots. I wear the WnS socks and still wear the same socks I normally would over the WnS liners. The boots do feel a little bit more snug with the socks in there, but only slightly. Definitely not enough to make them uncomfortable. I think the glove liners are made the same way as the socks, so I'm thinking that gloves that are nice and snug with the liners in will still be just fine with the liners out.

Especially if I get the Motoport Winter gloves, which are stretch kevlar... My normal riding gloves are the Motoport Kevlar Racing glove and they fit great and are nice and stretchy, too.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Picked up those Alpine Stars about a week ago, and finally got a chance to use them tonight. I still need some more testing with them, but I'm kinda on the fence. Up to now, I've only been using liners, so this is my first full on heated glove.

Firstly, they have the best protection bar none for heated gloves. Hard knuckle protectors, padded secondary knuckle protectors, joined ring and pinky fingers, dedicated palm skid pad that goes *over* the wrist strap to keep the strap from catching in a slide, reinforced thumb joint, and leather reinforcement around the cuff.

The dual cuff system does work. I had no air leaks in the least. Though it gets in the way of the plugs if you're using a heated full liner. I had my full heated liner in (but only the glove leads plugged to the controller), and if the inner cuff went over my jacket liner sleeve it'd bunch up due to pushing the wire askew. But the inner cuff wouldn't fit under my jacket sleeves anyway, so the problem was made even worse by having to put both the inner and outer cuffs over my jacket. No air leakage, as I mentioned, but the glove wanted to ride forward on my hand.

Speaking of sizing, they run on the small size: order one size up if you're on the line. I almost had to get a large and I wear mediums and sometimes smalls in other sizes. The wrist and palm area seem unusually snug compared to finger length, but this was done on purpose as you need some air pockets to help with insulation. Once you actually grip the handlebars, it works out fine.

The gloves are only heated on the outside -- the plam and inside of the fingers are unheated. There's a tiny bit of insulation. It was 44F when I left tonight and I was riding my CBR250 without any hand wind protection. Since the gloves do a great job at blocking the wind, I didn't feel like I *needed* extra heat. But I was running the heat troller at 75% and it was only taking the chill off, and as I didn't have any heated grips I could see my plams getting a bit cold as the temps drop. By contrast, running thin summer gloves plus liners, I'd only use 25-40% heat in the same conditions. So for me (with naturally cold hands), it might be dubious if these gloves would last to freezing temps.

On the flip side, due to the lack of heating elements on the plam and inner fingers plus only minimal insulation, they provide very good feedback on the handlebars. They're still a little stiff, but they are brand new and mostly leather, so do need a little breaking in. After that smidgen of breaking in, they'll have about the same dexterity as my Spidi insulated gloves. Compared to a heated liner plus normal gloves, it's a huge improvement in terms of dexterity. I still would like oversized grips, though. Standard 7/8" grips seem to stress my throttle hand in thicker gloves.

No comments on their waterproof liner yet, but I use overgloves in rain anyway.

Overall, I really love them for their protection. Fit is fine if you realize they run small, and I like how much dexterity I have on the controls compared to a liner + normal glove. The double cuff system does block out any simblance of a draft. But that same double cuff can get in the way of power plugs, and the fact that there's only marginal heat on one side of the glove makes me wonder if they'll hold up in full-on winter.

I'm going to futz around with my gear setup a bit and see if I can get a better fit with the jacket, but I might have to send them back and go with some W&S or Gerbings if they can't keep up the heat. It'd be a shame since cuff leakage and dexterity are two big issues with other gloves.

Edit: in case it wasn't fully noticable in the mini-review, these do have standard 12V DC coax connectors, and work with W&S heated gear and heat trollers.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote