User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,950
Well, I tried to get into the mountains--Cinco de Mayo '11

Cinco de Mayo 2011 began as a pretty decent day in Hamilton MT, forecasted to hit 67 which would be our warmest day of the year so far in our new ice age. I am ready to get out of the office after a very stressful week that left me with an involuntary eyelid twitch. After lunch I put on the gear and fled south.

Stopped at the West Fest site, it's dried out now and looking green. Now just add a bunch of yahoos and stir.

I figure I'll try to get over Gibbons pass road up to the Big Hole, and see how the ground squirrels are looking. South of Sula I turn east.

The DR is okay on the highway, even on a windy day such as this (which didn't turn out nearly as nice as they'd predicted). But when you hit the dirt road, it is perfectly in its element.

A little ways up the hill I stop for a picture in one of the many burned draws. The fires of 2000 did all this, 300,000 acres burned in Ravalli County, and now many dead snags are falling across the road and need cleared.

Well pretty much as I suspected, it wasn't far up before I'm hitting snow. The drifts grow larger, and it is soon obvious there's no way I'm getting through once I get to the top. I turn back, a little miffed that in May you still can't go anywhere around here yet.

So I stop by the little corner where the burned draw was for a break.

I hang out with a little squirrel friend who decided to coexist with me and not attack. I name him Jeff.

I hang for a while, drink my diet coke, and toast the rest of the world who's stuck in an office in Illinois or Kansas or somewhere.

I have other company on the mountain; a couple of blue grouse

Quite a few different muleys

And some elk

I putt my way back down the hill into the valley, and stop in Darby to see the in-laws before heading back home. I guess even though the snow made a ridus interruptus, it still was a welcome break.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 438
Thanks for sharing Shady. Sure hope the snow disappears before MT1000. This has been the coldest winter and spring I can remember in a very long time here in the NW. We're still getting snow on the passes and this will be the latest opening for the North Cascade highway in 20 years.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Lonewolf97

Here's to you, Cheers, from NC, stuck in the yard doing honey-do's all afternoon.
lonewolf97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,280
I have no idea where that is in Montana but it looks stunning! What gps and mount setup are you running?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
I have no idea where that is in Montana but it looks stunning! What gps and mount setup are you running?
Bitterroot Valley in Montana, just south of Missoula.

Running a cheapo TomTom XS315 or 325 or something like that. The mount is from Ram and I really like it, the GPS unit snaps in smartly and it ball/socket adjustable. This unit which you can pick up for around a hunner bucks, does all I really need--it's not all topo and trip details and all that stuff like the thousand dollar ones, but then it's not a thousand dollars.

It came from the factory knowing all the fire roads and shit that I ride right here in these mountains. I plot a route on google earth at home and print out lat/long coordinates for many reference points with a note or two (intersection by Hidden Lakes is xxx latitude by xxx longitude, turn left there to head back towards Buck creek) and I can accomplish pretty much anything. I punch in the coordinates to my next reference point and follow the arrow.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 747
Cinco De Mayo

Nice shots of the wildlife up there! Interesting to see the burned out forest, along with the snow. We just had a major set of wildfires in Texas....just now starting to get put out. One of them in West Tx was 300,000 acres also.