be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
subscribed.
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,159
I've owned about 30 cars and trucks in my life, and my '78 F-150 was probably my favorite one. Mine was just like yours except it had power steering, and I eventually relented and installed a radio.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,069
LMC Truck- good stuff, thats where I got the floors for my truck.

Clifford- I'd love to have some of their stuff, but its pretty $pendy.

Service body- kickin myself because at the last auction I went to, they sold TWO of them- one for $60 and one for $130. The $120 bed even had a crane / hoist thingy. The local junkyard has one they want $300 for. Not sure my 150 would be able to handle a heavy bed loaded with tools. Have considered building a flatbed, but I've got a line on a supposedly rust free bed (is that even possible?!) and if it works out thats the route I'll go for now.

And its not going to be *SHINY*, just... shiny-er.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,454
The power of gumption.

Love it.

Rock on, brother.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,069
Few more pics from yesterday. Took quite a few, just in case I cant remember where stuff goes. Dont think thatll be a problem with this engine...

Dont go around corners to fast, or oil will slosh out. If you look really close, you can see the big gap around the dipstick tube as well... Sad part is I had really cleaned the engine off good about 400 miles before this...

Oil leaking out the front. I love the fact that it only has one belt. No power steering, remember?

Oil leaking out the back. Quite a bit of oil in there, which is probably why my clutch shudders so bad. See them two wires on the left side? Those two wires, the alternator, and the battery cables are IT.

Manifold side, yes there are ONLY TWO vacuum lines. One for the vacuum advance on the dizzy and one for the brakes.

Other side.

You might notice a brand new dizzy if you look close. Funny story- I had done a basic tune up when I got it. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, carb rebuild, air filter, everything but change the oil since this motor was self-changing. Drove it all winter. One beautifull spring afternoon on the way home from school I thought to myself, "man, this truck has been pretty dang reliable". Not 30 seconds later- BANG spluttter pop pop chuuuuuuuuugggggg fart. Dead as a doornail. Turns out the wieghts for the advance in the distributor let go and blew it up. Towed it 1/2 a mile home. Thats what I get for thinking...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
i have an old '86 toyota with the old, carb'ed, indestructable 22R engine. i used to own a chevy 3/4 ton diesel, which was expensive in most ways and finicky. while i loved aspects of that truck, the reality was that it was a POS.

i love not worrying too much about the paint/body when throwing things like concrete chunks or old railroad ties in the back. i never worry about overloading the *crap* out of it (once hauled ~1500lbs of retaining wall block)... she just goes slow but never stops.

after owning that chevy, i now value owning inexpensive vehicles that are undersized and mechanically sound, where i take them to their limits without hesitation as opposed to expensive vehicles that'll won't ever break a sweat but still break cuz they're so high strung.

with my toyota and my HF trailer, i can do ANYTHING!

don't make it too pretty or work on it too hard... it's got better things to do!

ps - straight 6's of any brand usually seem f'ing bulletproof. underappreciated in our horsepower enslaved world imho.
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
My first vehicle was an 82 F150 300 i6...

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Service body- kickin myself because at the last auction I went to, they sold TWO of them- one for $60 and one for $130. The $120 bed even had a crane / hoist thingy. The local junkyard has one they want $300 for. Not sure my 150 would be able to handle a heavy bed loaded with tools. Have considered building a flatbed, but I've got a line on a supposedly rust free bed (is that even possible?!) and if it works out thats the route I'll go for now.

I gave one away a few years ago.

I like the extra weight since it makes it ride better, it's awesome for camping with all of the compartments. I've been tempted to convert it to four wheel drive.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #25
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
LMC Truck- good stuff, thats where I got the floors for my truck.
LMC=meh. Nice catalog, but some of the stuff isn't the greatest (their door seals are complete crap). They make NOTHING themselves, just resell what others manufacture. Dennis Carpenter makes 80% of the good stuff out there. I either buy direct or from helpful, personal vendors like Carolina Classics and Flashback F100s. The latter guy is your source for used, NLA parts.

Utility bodies generally aren't worth much, at least around here. Our PA DoT trucks now run some sort of fiberglass hybrid beds that are really slick. Local salvage yard has sold a few, I think he gets $300 for 'em. Flatbeds really aren't that useful unless you create some kind of sides, and not having a tailgate is a big negative. Another thing to consider, if you don't care about matching the body lines, is just get another bed from a different year truck. If the wheelbase from the back of the cab to the axle center is the same, you should be golden. Most beds were dimensionally the same on the longbeds up through the 1980s.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,092
IMO, that 300 I6 doesn't need any performance parts. It is pretty much perfect exactly like it is. When I worked for a county DPW we had a fleet of early 80's 4x4 heavy equipment oilers running that motor with the granny low five speed. They held up better than any truck before or since.

The operators hated giving them up for newer trucks and would run them until they were complete junk. The "I ain't givin' this truck up factor" alone saved the county tons of money. Even without A/C or automatics the heavy equipment operators simply would not give them up.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,390
This should be interesting!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #28
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
I was 4 when my dad bought a used, year-old '73 F-100 long bed in Ranger trim from a local used-car lot. It was a two-wheel-drive model. Dark blue. 302 V8.

I grew up in that truck.

We hauled/towed our campers with it. We overloaded it with wood for the wood stove we heated with. Dad used it to haul stuff -- and us, his young helpers -- for a painting/sheetrock finishing business he had. We took it to the beach. We took it to the mountains. I helped dad re-install the engine he rebuilt when I was 12 or 13. We rode in it to church and to the lake. Sometimes in the back. I drove it some in high school and some in college. I took girlfriends out in it at times.

Yeah, I'll be watchin' this thread.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
subscribed
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
RLK

Oddometer: 6,335
Dear Ranger Diary,

I rode in a baby seat in a 69 2wd F-100 w/a Tilton Hilton camper from CSprings to Gorham NH and back summer of 1975. That truck had a 360 2bbl and got about 8mpg w/ the camper. Mom stratled the stack 'o pancakes shifter with the truckseat by the passenger window. I taught myself to drive after hours of practice shifting that thing, then I found a key and copied it when I was about 8. I still have that key but the truck went away in about 2002.

Amen.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: