User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
I have never heard ANYONE who had one that didn't think the 300 I6 was the best motor ever built. I can say it is one of the tourquiest motors ever from what I gather.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #32
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,133
Progress today... Not much. Spent some time with the fam, drug home a new project, cleaned up the garage a bit cause the scouts are coming over to learn about "farm mechanics".

Bell housing and clutch off.

Pretty glazed, with a light coat of oil all over...

Other side:

K guys, question... See the teeth? Should I worry about replacing the flywheel? It has never ground or skipped on me the entire time I've had it. This section is the worst, there are three spots like this evenly spaced around the flywheel.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
RLK

Oddometer: 6,382
Yes, if you have gone this far, replace. Don't half ass the important parts. There's a lot of metal missing that went to bad places. Its not a KLR. What do the starter teeth look like?

:edit, more... Especially if this is a work truck advertising professional engine repair and welding. That flywheel has served its duty. Send it to the wall of shame or give it to the boyscouts with words of "any job worth doing is worth doing right." Never have that little thought in the back if your mind when you crank the starter after a job next winter and have that be the time teeth break.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 11:14 PM
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #34
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,468
That ring gear is hurting. Ring gears are easy to change, but sourcing a used flywheel might be easier/cheaper. Re-facing a flyheel is only around $35 - but I'm thinking if you really want to impress them boy scouts, you need to teach them how to change a ring gear on the flywheel using the kitchen oven and the freezer.

Call around to salvage yards, I bet you can get a whole flywheel for $25 or so. Should not be that hard to find.

That kind of damage is usually caused by a sticky starter pinion. Not unusual for a truck that old.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #35
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 534
My first vehicle was an '80 F100 with the 300. I couldn't kill that thing, and I tried. Sold it for more than I bought it for 4 years after getting it.

Man, I miss that truck.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #36
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,113
re: pilot bushings. Be sure to read and find out what kind you get or it's supposed to have. I didn't know it, but most are supposed to be installed 'dry' with no oil or grease. Which, naturally, I found out after I'd lubed mine up...

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #37
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
One of my previous employees was a bit rough around the edges. Truth be told, he was a real knuckle dragger, who barely functioned. Anyhow, he paid a few hundred bucks for a 2wd 150 with a 300 six. Nice old truck, 175K miles with all the usual local touches like a simple aluminum cap, NRA stickers, blanket seat cover, rear window gun rack, etc...He then proceeds to do about a year of hard commuting, putting 25K on the old beast. The only problem is that skanky women and coke are taking up a lot of his time, and brain cells. He did NOTHING to this truck (except put gas in) for 25K miles, or more. Eventually it starts to sputter, as the oil is no longer pumping. He opens up the drain plug and starts digging sludge out with a screwdriver. His colorful description was, "just like diggin' shit out of a dog". He then runs several cycles of a kerosene/motor oil mix through, starting with straight kero, eventually switching over to 100% oil once the pressure comes up. After five or six flushes it's running great. Several years later, when I heard the tale, he had put an additional 75K miles on it, and had yet to put a dime into engine repairs. I'm sure there are tougher motors somewhere, but if this idiot couldn't kill a 300, it might not be possible?
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #38
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

[QUOTE=RLK;15873665]Yes, if you have gone this far, replace. Don't half ass the important parts. There's a lot of metal missing that went to bad places. Its not a KLR. What do the starter teeth look like?

I agree, that would be like not replacing the throw out bearing only to do it in a week.....replace that flywheel!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #39
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrdr View Post
My first vehicle was an '80 F100 with the 300. I couldn't kill that thing, and I tried. Sold it for more than I bought it for 4 years after getting it. That is great!

Man, I miss that truck. Yeah, that is the bummer of selling a true friend. We think we want something else till we can not replace what we had.

-darrell
I toyed with selling one of my vehicles and knew I would hate myself for it so kept it. I am damn glad I did, it has been my most reliable car I ever owned. And No it aint no honda! old ass BMW 535i Dinan.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #40
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
And unless it's cracked already, don't EVER take the exhaust manifold off that thing.

You'll never get it back on, and you will be cursed to roam wreckers yards for remainder of your living years.

I sometimes wonder if that 300-six wasn't the sole reason that Offenhauser was able to stay in business.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #41
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
And unless it's cracked already, don't EVER take the exhaust manifold off that thing.

You'll never get it back on, and you will be cursed to roam wreckers yards for remainder of your living years.

I sometimes wonder if that 300-six wasn't the sole reason that Offenhauser was able to stay in business.
I would header it if I had one anyway.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #42
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post

Not that big a deal to re-surface the mating surfaces. I used to do it fairly frequently when I worked in an auto machine shop. The 300 six used to be quite popular here in Hawaii.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #43
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,133
For now, I think they will stay on, but I still havent decided if I'm going to pop the head off and have it cleaned up. Dont think I need to, but while its out... I am planning on eventually converting the single downdraft carb to SIX side draft carbs, but I dont think I've got the time or $$$ for it right now. Maybe this summer.

Didnt make any progress today other than sourcing a re-man flywheel. Cheaper than having the current flywheel resurface and a new ring gear installed...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #44
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I worked on trucks in the 70's and 80's . We ran a fleet of bobtails with 300 's . In 72 they came with a carter YF carb , they were good but the 68's all had a holly carb and would blow the doors off the YF's . We never failed to get a 100, 000 miles from any of them until stupid truck drivers started taking over the industry in the late 70's . By then I had moved on to something better any way .The only thing better than fords 300 is a gm 292 , that was a torque monster . And by all means replace the starter ring , surface the flywheel and buy a new clutch plate and disc .They are cheaper than reman's these days and much better and dont buy from an oil change store , find a professional truck parts store to deal with . You will be much happier with the results . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #45
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
True about finding a truck parts dealer. When I dropped a 5.0 in my CJ5 it immediately twisted off the stock u-joints. Nothing from a Remans-R-Us parts store would hold up. I finally drove over to the "big" city to a truck parts dealer, bought their u-joints and they were under it years later when I sold the thing. Amazing difference in quality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: