Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #61
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Long story short- We had just moved and I needed a second set of wheels. Auction was almost over, I had told myself I wouldnt go any more than $150 on this truck but the bidding bug got the better of me. Took it home, tinkered, replaced the floors (can I say "replace" if the floors werent there in the first place?!), and drove it all winter.

The floor:

After a winter of driving it every day:

Fast forward to now. I *love* this truck. Its a beast- Inline 6 300, no power steering, absolute base model real mans tough truck. 4 mismatched tires, a bed that looks like it got ran over by a bulldozer, no radio, the list goes on. I'd like to fix it up, but I have no money (school teacher). I need a summer job. I'm good at fixing things. Hmmm... Hows about I fix things, locally, and use the truck to do it? Tax return!
That 300-6 Ford engine will run,,,,,till the next ice age.
I bought an '85 F150 4x4 new, put 600,000kms on it, traded it in at the Ford dealer. The truck is still used by a local farmer, loads the thing up with crap, tough old things!!! Miss that truck.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #62
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,979
Laugh

Steve, do you ever wonder how many times that farmer and his best friend have said out loud, " some damn fool, traded this truck in before it was even close to wore out ! " D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
That 300-6 Ford engine will run,,,,,till the next ice age. I bought an '85 F150 4x4 new, put 600,000kms on it, traded it in at the Ford dealer. The truck is still used by a local farmer, loads the thing up with crap, tough old things!!! Miss that truck.
Steve
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #63
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
If you wasn't so far away, I have a nice straight LWB Bed for it.
Good thing about Arkansas they don't salt the roads so not a lot of rust to deal with.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #64
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
What year F150 is this project? What years was the straight 6 available?

Thanks,
Jack
jgrady1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #65
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Steve, do you ever wonder how many times that farmer and his best friend have said out loud, " some damn fool, traded this truck in before it was even close to wore out ! " D

Yup!
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #66
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
What year F150 is this project? What years was the straight 6 available?

Thanks,
Jack

My truck is a '76. The 300 was available for a LOOONNNGG time, eventually it ended up fuel injected and with a few more ponies. Seems like you could get a 300 up through the late '90s. Not sure when exactly they came into being, but I think they were based on older tractor motors and are related to the smaller 240 and other smaller Sixxes. Ironically- the 300 is considered the "Big Block". I have to give my brother a hard time because his '97 F150 has a 4.7 V8. I've got a 4.9 I6.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #67
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
The 240 cu in (3.9 L) six for 1965 1970 full sized cars (continued to 74 in fleet models) and 63-77 trucks produced 150 hp (112 kW). In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled by LPG or natural gas, this is known as the CSG-639. The 240 had a bore of 4" and a stroke of 3.18".

The 300 cu in (4.9 L) six was added for the F-series in 1965. It was essentially a 240 cu in (3.9 L) with a longer stroke. The two engines are nearly identical; the differences are in block dimensions, combustion chamber size, and the rotating assembly. It produced 170 hp (127 kW) (gross). The 300 became the base F-series engine in 1978 at 114 hp (85 kW) (hp number changes due to Ford switching to net power ratings in 1971). Power outputs were increased to roughly 122 hp (91 kW) during the early 1980s, before fuel injection was introduced. This became the primary engine of the line, eclipsing the 240. Unlike the Falcon engine, it featured separate intake and exhaust manifolds, which could be easily replaced with aftermarket manifolds offering the promise of even more power, through the installation of larger carburetors and a higher flowing exhaust system.
Also during the late sixties and early seventies, the 300 was used in larger vehicles such as dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,00020,000 pound (7,0009,000 kg) range. These 300s were equipped with a higher flow HD (Heavy Duty) exhaust manifold, since the engines were going to be constantly working in the 30004000 rpm range. These rare, yet effective manifolds had higher flow than the electronic fuel injection 4.9 (300) manifolds and some headers.
Engine sizes were converted to metric for 1983, causing the 300 to become the "4.9". Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 165 hp (123 kW) with 8.8:1 compression. This engine was gradually phased out, ending production in 1996, and was replaced by the Essex V6 in the F-series trucks with their 1997 redesign. However, it was renowned for its durability, low end torque, and ease of service. The 300 4.9 came with the Ford C6, E4OD, ZF S5-42 and S5-47 transmissions, as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5 speed manual transmission, and the Borg-Warner T18 and New Process NP435 4 speed manual transmissions. The 4.9 liter 6 cylinder was built in the Cleveland, Ohio engine plant.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #68
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Awesome write up! Thanks!
jgrady1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #69
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

LOTS of info on the Ford sixers here: http://www.fordsix.com/

-Charles De Mar.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #70
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

QUESTION for the wheel experts...

Found a good deal on some decent rims/tires... I know the folks so they let me borrow one to try it on.

Before:

After:

I *really* like it. The rims arent spectacular- chromes peeling on the back side pretty badly, but I was thinking of spraying them black anyways. Tires arent in very good shape- 20-30% left.

THE PROBLEM...

One tire kind of fell off while they were driving. The bolt holes are wallowed out a bit, but I didnt think they were that bad. Theres some scratches on the back side. Should I be worried about metal fatigue and the tire eventually breaking completely? The cones on my lugnuts sucked the tire in tight and it doesnt appear to my calibrated eye to be out of round at all when spinning it (referencing to a stationary object).

What say ye? Pics of the carnage-

-Charles De Mar.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #71
Firestorm

Oddometer: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
QUESTION for the wheel experts...

Found a good deal on some decent rims/tires... I know the folks so they let me borrow one to try it on.

Before:

After:

I *really* like it. The rims arent spectacular- chromes peeling on the back side pretty badly, but I was thinking of spraying them black anyways. Tires arent in very good shape- 20-30% left.

THE PROBLEM...

One tire kind of fell off while they were driving. The bolt holes are wallowed out a bit, but I didnt think they were that bad. Theres some scratches on the back side. Should I be worried about metal fatigue and the tire eventually breaking completely? The cones on my lugnuts sucked the tire in tight and it doesnt appear to my calibrated eye to be out of round at all when spinning it (referencing to a stationary object).

What say ye? Pics of the carnage-

To Gangsta/ghetto..... Get some classic 4x4 wheels and put some BFG Off-Roads/All-Terrain's on it.

Sorta like:
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #72
Firestorm

Something along these lines..
Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #73
Firestorm

I had something like this on my old 4x4 I got from discount tire, was one of the cheapest rims they had, worked great with giant BFG All-Terrain...
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #74
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,115
Those rims suck. Stock rims or "wagon wheels".
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #75
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 526
Those rims look way outta place on that truck.

Gotta agree on the wagon wheels.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: