Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #31
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,211
Next time try 60 through the salt river canyon to Showlow & check out 180 from Alpine to Silver City, NM
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #32
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
That is a crazy 600 mile day!

Cheers
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #33
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,751
I want your camera and a day to do the same route! outstanding!
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,089
awesome pics and RR!!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #35
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,835
Route

So did you do that actual route? I don;t see any of the piece from Carefree on north? Am I not seeing that right? Or is it just you went 101 around and the map is tricking me? Great pics what camera's?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #36
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,841
Thanks Guys!

Reidy008, The route map on page 1 is accurate. I didn't get many photos on the return trip. I was running hard on very familiar roads and into the sun, which usually is not a combination that works for getting decent pics. What area specifically were you asking about? I Started near Cave Creek Road, but didn't go through the town of Cave Creek. The closest I got to that area on this trip was on the Beeline Highway (87) between Payson and Fountain Hills. The last 10 photos (except for the final dash photo) were taken on that route. The largest gaps in the photos occurred on the US 70 across the San Carlos Apache Reservation and on the US 260 from Alpine to the lake.

A Panasonic Lumix ZS5 Point-n-Shoot was used while on the bike. A Pentax K7 DSLR with 3 different lenses were used off the bike. Like an idiot, I forgot to load a memory card in the DSLR, so I had to use one card for both cameras. Pain in the Ass!

More info about photos and such are in this thread over in Trip Planning: The Art of the Ride Report...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #37
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Next time try 60 through the salt river canyon to Showlow & check out 180 from Alpine to Silver City, NM
Yep. The Salt River Canyon is pretty cool also.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #38
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,181
Hey Dave... GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY! I found this thread from your posts over on the "Long Lonely Highways" thread and thought I'd pop over and check it out.

I'm riding from Denver to White Sands... leaving early Friday morning and camping KOA-style in Alamogordo, hitting White Sands in the morning. I WAS planning on just reversing my route (meeting up with my wife and dog in Central Colorado Saturday evening for another camp night), but I just may have to do a "loop" through Silver City,NM to Clifton, and up 191 and back to 180 east towards I-25 before heading back north. Kinda hard to pass up good road when I'm gonna be so (relatively) close to it.

It's amazing how we motorcyclists can so easily justify a 300 mile detour, huh?
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:34 AM   #39
zedx9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Great report, photos and route. I've done that route and variations of it a number of times and love it. The contrast in landscape during a day trip is incredible. The only part I don't care for is the section between Globe and Safford on 70 though it's bearable knowing that it's a means to an end. That area has been part of my "escape the NW weather" spring rides for a number of years. Missed the last couple of years and this is motivating me to get down there again.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #40
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 295
Dave,
We did our annual Rt.666(191) last weekend, and over to Silver City, while the Coronado is my Favorite road anywhere in the world (525 switchbacks in 100 miles), the road from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is 45 miles each way, and just as enteraining! We had never done Rt. 15, and it makes for a fabulous weekend! Great job expressing the experience, but why not a shot of how your moto won't come up to the axle of the big truck!!! Ha.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #41
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Thanks Guys!

Reidy008, The route map on page 1 is accurate. I didn't get many photos on the return trip. I was running hard on very familiar roads and into the sun, which usually is not a combination that works for getting decent pics. What area specifically were you asking about? I Started near Cave Creek Road, but didn't go through the town of Cave Creek. The closest I got to that area on this trip was on the Beeline Highway (87) between Payson and Fountain Hills. The last 10 photos (except for the final dash photo) were taken on that route. The largest gaps in the photos occurred on the US 70 across the San Carlos Apache Reservation and on the US 260 from Alpine to the lake.

A Panasonic Lumix ZS5 Point-n-Shoot was used while on the bike. A Pentax K7 DSLR with 3 different lenses were used off the bike. Like an idiot, I forgot to load a memory card in the DSLR, so I had to use one card for both cameras. Pain in the Ass!

More info about photos and such are in this thread over in Trip Planning: The Art of the Ride Report...
No worreis mate I got it figured out. I was not seeing the map correctly at first. Cheers
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #42
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,071
Dave, your photography is awesome, the pics and colors really pop. I would ask what kind of camera you use but I dont know jack crap about them, except yours is great...
Any more pics?
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #43
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
Dave,
We did our annual Rt.666(191) last weekend, and over to Silver City, while the Coronado is my Favorite road anywhere in the world (525 switchbacks in 100 miles), the road from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is 45 miles each way, and just as enteraining! We had never done Rt. 15, and it makes for a fabulous weekend! Great job expressing the experience, but why not a shot of how your moto won't come up to the axle of the big truck!!! Ha.
Allen.
Thanks Allen. I do need to check out the roads on the New Mexico side. As for the photo with my bike next to a big truck, I've been wanting to get that photo for years. I have never had a chance to get my bike that close. Shortly after leaving the mine overlook I wished I had asked the nice mine supervisor I had been chatting with. I'll bet she couldv'e arranged it.

Favorite Road in the World? It's a really nice road and worth the over 500 miles to get there in a day, but it's not even my favorite asphalt in Arizona. The ~14 miles of curves between Prescott and Wilhoit are more fun for me. The best sections of twisty asphalt I've ever ridden are all in California. While there are probably 1000s of miles of asphalt in Cali better than the Coronado Trail, My #1 Favorite is the 190 The Great Western Divide Highway around Camp Nelson. #2 is Hwy 1 Between Leggett and San Fran. #1 has less traffic. #2 is more scenic. Both are insanely twisty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
No worreis mate I got it figured out. I was not seeing the map correctly at first. Cheers
Whew! Good. I was afraid I was getting called out for not taking ENOUGH pics. Imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man View Post
Dave, your photography is awesome, the pics and colors really pop. I would ask what kind of camera you use but I dont know jack crap about them, except yours is great...
Any more pics?
Thanks E-man! Yeah, I've got lotsa pics. You can find more in my other Ride Reports by following the link in my signature line or head on over to my Smugmug page to browse my featured galleries including non-moto stuff. http://dave6253.smugmug.com/
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #44
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
I'm glad I found this awesome thread while grave-digging!
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Nice camera work Dave
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote