User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
SnoozeRat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Hit from behind today - seeking bike repair advice

thanx all. decided to delete details/photo on advice until accident is resolved. thanks again!!!!

SnoozeRat screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 12:51 PM
SnoozeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Bump for the cause.
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663
Well the good news is that you're OK.

You say front and rear damage. Did you get sandwiched between vehicles?

I assume the other party(s) had insurance? If so you'll probably need some sort of "offical" damage estimate, so take it to the dealer. Even if the dealer isn't interested in working on it, they should at least be able to point out the damaged/questionable areas.

If it's severe, I'd start shopping for a replacement.

Again, sorry for the loss. But it's better that I'm saying sorry to you, then to your family.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
so if it's anything like automotive, replacing the plastic probably totals the bike... the important thing is whether the frame is bent. forks shouldn't be too big a worry... a clever guy can graft on some bitchin USDs or something.

actually, the important part is you're OK.

ping AKTobias... he has a few bits & maybe a source or two
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
flybynitetours
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Hit from behind

I got hit in the school zone in front of Romig middle school, I slowed down for the school zone, the woman on the cell phone behind me did not. Local dealers only want to work on the new bike they just sold you. rw
Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,407
Yep, glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse.

From past experience I now recommend you get an attorney. Even if the driver that hit you got cited, their insurance will probably try to find a way out of it. DAMHIK

Wishing you the best with the healing and repairs, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
SnoozeRat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks AK Duc. yes, they were cited but I keep hearing stories that I should get attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yep, glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse.

From past experience I now recommend you get an attorney. Even if the driver that hit you got cited, their insurance will probably try to find a way out of it. DAMHIK

Wishing you the best with the healing and repairs, Mark H.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 796
Sorry to hear you got hit and glad you're okay. PM me if you want to talk about your options. I don't take cases (my employment prohibits it) and can't give you legal advice (official disclaimer) but I am a lawyer, know most of the lawyers in town, and might be able to help you sort through your situation. If I can help, let me know.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozeRat View Post
thanks AK Duc. yes, they were cited but I keep hearing stories that I should get attorney.
If your insurance company is worth their salt, they will provide a lawyer to help you out. I had Liberty Mutual while I was in Tulsa, OK and one was provided for me even though I wasn't at fault.

Here is the closest Transalp for sale that I found....Looks pretty clean with 42k miles - Honda You will need some current market values on that old of a bike to help with the insurance battle. Don't let them go strictly by KBB or NADA or you may owe THEM money.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
If your insurance company is worth their salt, they will provide a lawyer to help you out.

Don't let them go strictly by KBB or NADA or you may owe THEM money.
The insurance company is obligated to provide an attorney if the insured is sued. Otherwise, the insurance company will pay up to policy limits for actual damages. A person could hire a lawyer to sue their own company if the insurance company did not fulfill its contractual obligation, or go after the other person's insurance if they were not offering satisfactory reimbursement. What folks should know is that most attorneys won't touch a case that is under significant damages - 50 or 100 grand. Plaintiff's lawyers work on a contingency of 30-40 percent of the recoverable damages. And that means if you hire one you're going to give up a bunch of money just to get some money. Yes, there are lawyers who might take any case, but I don't know them and wouldn't want to. And forget pain and suffering. Without actual significant medical injury you won't recover anything for it.

If there is only damage to the bike, the fairness is all dependent on your insurance company. I've had damage to my car on two occasions where the insurance company cut me a check for more than the cost of repair. But when I insured my 12GS they said they would only cover the NADA value of the bike and a rider to cover more was not available. I kept the receipts of all the accessories just in case I had to argue with them at some point. If my bike was totaled I'd search all the usual sites to find comparables to up the ridiculously low NADA values and try to get them to bump the settlement up a little. Seems to be a sad fact that insurance companies undervalue bikes. I'd be pleased to hear better news if anyone has a good experience with a particular insurance company. FWIW I have State Farm.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
SnoozeRat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

AKMud thanks for heads up on the Transalp 4 sale. Also thanks ADVBMR for your thoughts.

Once the dust has settled I'll post pic and details again for anyone interested. As I mentioned before it happened AFTER I got the bike blessing, so one way to look at it is "coulda been worse."

Oh yes, THANK YOU to bystanders who helped!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 914
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/2417046737.html

Local TransAlp....
Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
I can vouch for it, good bike when I had it and the current owner really went all out on making it even better.

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
SnoozeRat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I finally sold her... Sad day to watch her go, but she went to someone who cares (guide over at Motoquest)... Engine was still strong, much better than the other TA I bought, but without a garage and living out of a storage unit for now, I realized I wasn't going to get to work on it.

Happy Riding to the new owner!