Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Excite-Bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Bluhduh Dad asked how much "safety" given up on TKC80s. Was unimpressed with my lack of stats

"You mean you don't actually know exactly how much more risk you've taken on using those on the street?!"

Are there even any stats out there as far as such dual sport tires vs. street tires?

I guess he means like stopping distance measurements and what not.

He sees riding as reckless no matter what but I suppose he's probably right that the risk of a fatal accident is likely much higher on the street than the dirt and then further compounded by using dual purpose semi-knobby tires like the TKC-80s I have on right now.

Excite-Bike screwed with this post 01-27-2015 at 05:58 PM
Excite-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,199
If they're DOT approved they have to meet certain specs as far as I know.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506262
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,360
Who does he expect to quantify this?

He does realize there are many, many different types of road surfaces.

I guess you could pick one test surface and then compare all tires, but what about other factors? Weight transfer, tire pressure and such.

It could be done, but a pair of TKCs would suddenly cost $1,000.

No offense, but it sounds to me like your father is a bit idealistic & naïve as a consumer.

My mom thought I was messing around with a dangerous woman one time....she was right, but it did not make it any less fun.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,859
They will be safer on pavement than street tires on dirt.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
flei
cycletherapist

Oddometer: 845
Tell him you are less likely to crash if you hit a patch of sand, etc., or in rain, than if you were using pure street tires. Since most fatal MC accidents involving cars occur at intersections (where cars turn in front of bikes they "don't see), I'm not sure what difference tire type would make in the overall safety stats.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

Oddometer: 144
Lol statistics.

Let's see, the TKC80's are 40% on-road and 60% off-road.

The stock Battlewings are supposedly 80% on-road and 20% off-road.

Give him approximate distances that you travel on-road and off-road.

Give him statistics on motorcycle accidents.

Give him the statistics on local weather events.

Give him a summary of your driving record.

Then tell him to do the math.

:)
Touratech Lower/Upper Crashbars, Skidplate, Adj. /Folding Clutch and Brake Levers (black) - Barkbusters VPS Handguards - SW Motech Rear Frame Sliders and Chain Guard - Pivot Pegs - Bestrest Shock Bolt Support with Upper Bolt - Accelerator Module - Nautilus Air Horn - 12VDC Display
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:08 AM   #7
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,539
Why bother trying to find him an answer, not his bike or his life and it is unlikely he'll be satisfied with any answer you provide, which doesn't have any bearing on the decisions you make on the matter.

If he really needs an answer let him know that after researching and considering the statistical and anecdotal evidence available across the globe of adv riders it is your informed and considered opinion that the TKC tire works well for your needs.

Another tactic "your right pop, please buy me a sumo set up so that when I am riding on teh road I am safer".
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 980
" Dad, TKC 80's have approximately 58% of the amount of tread on the pavement at any given time versus a full street tire. Me; I only brake when the rubber actually meets the road which equates to...yep, you guessed it, only 58% of the time. The other 42%, I full throttle it past the cages and take my chances". Any questions?
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500,2012 BMW GTL1600, 2015 BMW F800 GS Adventure, , 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 528
The knobbys look cooler

Safety Third
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Another tactic "your right pop, please buy me a sumo set up so that when I am riding on teh road I am safer".
I vote that's the best answer, unless your last name is Rockefeller or the like, when he sees the price of a sumo setup for the GS it'll shut him up!!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Tell him you are less likely to crash if you hit a patch of sand, etc., or in rain, than if you were using pure street tires. Since most fatal MC accidents involving cars occur at intersections (where cars turn in front of bikes they "don't see), I'm not sure what difference tire type would make in the overall safety stats.
Having used all manner of tires in all kinds of conditions, I'd personally prefer to be riding with Anakee 3's or their ilk in rain (on pavement). TKC's can't compete with a good street tire in the wet, IMHO. They are, by definition, a compromise tire.

I do prefer them in snow, however.

+2 on the sumo setup. Best idea ever.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Excite-Bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
Having used all manner of tires in all kinds of conditions, I'd personally prefer to be riding with Anakee 3's or their ilk in rain (on pavement). TKC's can't compete with a good street tire in the wet, IMHO. They are, by definition, a compromise tire.

I do prefer them in snow, however.

+2 on the sumo setup. Best idea ever.
Right so how much less safe would you say TKCs are on pavement, wet & dry, compared to Anakees?

And where would you say Heidenau K60s stand?

Also forgive my ignorance but what is a Sumo Setup?
Excite-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
GPHusky250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
My father used to send me links to stories about motorcycle crashing, riders killed or maimed whenever he could.

To combat this, I started sending links to every story I could find about private airplanes crashing (He's a pilot). Wasn't long after I started that he started telling me that all in all, airplane crashes are rare events.

I replied back that all in all, motorcycle crashes are rare events, considering how many are on the road at any one time.

The e-mails stopped.

Obviously my father doesn't like me riding motorcycles..thinks they are dangerous and is worried that I will get killed at some point in the future. I suspect your father has similar concerns. That's his job...he's a father.

While TKC-80s aren't designed as a street tire...I've ridden them in nasty rain storms in Colorado and felt as safe as if I was in my car. Of course, you don't start dragging knees in corners when it's raining, but you can safely operate in the realm of more street oriented tires if you use your head. Try taking a pair of Anakee 3s into conditions where TKC-80s work well...like in muddy uphills and muddy water crossings. You'll see how ill suited they are.

TKCs are a compromise...but they are a good compromise and seem to stick pretty well in all reasonable conditions...providing you use a little common sense. I've used them in rain, mud, sand, silt, graded roads, pavement, asphalt, rocky uphills, washed out downhills and they work well...not perfect...in almost every condition. They don't work well in ice.

Lest we forget...our F800s are a compromise as well. They do things pretty good in many conditions, but my F8 doesn't perform as well as my RT when I'm rolling down the highway heading for points unknown.

Tell you dad that TKCs are fine and you'll be extra careful anytime you're on your bike.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excite-Bike View Post
"You mean you don't actually know exactly how much more risk you've taken on using those on the street?!"

Are there even any stats out there as far as such dual sport tires vs. street tires?

I guess he means like stopping distance measurements and what not.

He sees riding as reckless no matter what but I suppose he's probably right that the risk of a fatal accident is likely much higher on the street than the dirt and then further compounded by using dual purpose semi-knobby tires like the TKC-80s I have on right now.
Ask him to petition BMW and KTM to stop putting such dangerous tires on their bikes from the factory.

"TKC80's are the preferred tire for many motorcycle manufacturers such as BMW and KTM. They are fitted as OEM tires on bikes such as the R1200GS Adventure and KTM 690."
Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
1or2Cylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
My bike came with Anakee 2's. When I changed them to TKC-80's I was pleasantly surprised how good they were on the road and rain. Compared to a small dual sport knobby the TKC-80's are like road tires in the rain to me.