User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Excite-Bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
How do you choose a wind screen height?

I am generally satisfied with my $125 18" GIVI screen but I can't help noticing that when I hunch over a little and scrunch my neck down a bit that the freeway wind noise that is always there suddenly vanishes. I am 5' 10" so an 18" screen seems to be the norm for my height but I'd think many other factors are involved too.

18" Givi:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...FYVqfgodGFYAcw

I've been looking at the similarly designed Cee Baileys screens in 20" and 22". They are super pricey at close to $300 but if I could get the wind noise to nearly vanish like it does when I squat down a bit it would be worth it.

Cee Baileys
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmw_f800gstwinenh_ws.htm

I'm curious though if 20" would be enough of a change and if the 22" would be ridiculously tall and perhaps a liability off-road.

It's also hard to measure just how far down I am scrunching my head to get the wind noise to disappear like that.
Excite-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Tnwineseller
Glug Glug Glug

Oddometer: 455
Don't go too tall either. My 1200rt had the electric windscreen which was great. But, if you elevated all the way up, it would create a pressure on the backside of my helmet that felt like someone pushing my head forward. This was of course on the road at highway speeds. The dealer warned me of this when I picked the bike up so I was expecting it.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Vampir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
As everyone's helmet, body, and personal preferences are different and every manufacturer's windshield design moves the air in distinct ways, you aren't left with a clear rule. It will also depend on the speed and type of riding you are doing.

The unfortunate thing is that most people solve it through trial and error. Most of the manufacturers have guidelines and suggestions, but those only get you in the ballpark.
Vampir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,396
I have found that tilting the screen with spacers makes as much a difference as height does, sometimes more.

As well, turbulent air often finds it way from around the sides of the screen, and winglets are a huge help if you get them dialed in right.

It's a real labour of love to get it sorted, and a huge pain in the ass more often than not.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 981
That's easy, buy a Madstad system. They are fully adjustable
for height and rake. I have a Madstad on three bikes, best
I had, and I've many shields on many different bikes....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Go adjustable

For me the right screen has been expensive trial and error.
I once ordered a tall screen and cut it down a little at a time and it was good but not perfect. I had a madstadt on a Ulysses and it made my neck sore. For that bike a Calsci was the answer. Another madstadt on a vstrom and it was the best, maybe too good as it felt more like I was "in" the bike and not on it but several hundred mile days were a enjoyable. On my current GS for me the adjustable Givi is as good as it gets. When its hot I like it all the way down almost naked. For long days Ill go up. I vote for adjustable.
Also for me the air conditions when riding even the same road can be different.
Theres a section on Hyway 17 thats almost like a tunnel with redwoods. For about a mile its turbulent like pushing extra air.
It so personal and depends on your size and shape and mood too. Sorta like Ginger or Marianne.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Wanted to mention you can try extending your 18 inch a few inches with duck tape and plexiglass to get a feel for taller. Jus tape it on, try it then lower it a little. This method dialed in a Honda PC and it cost only pennies to try. But don't over do it with the tape
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
(I^2)R/746
Rider

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleDoc59 View Post
That's easy, buy a Madstad system. They are fully adjustable
for height and rake. I have a Madstad on three bikes, best
I had, and I've many shields on many different bikes....
Wow. Thanks for that. That totally looks like the ticket!
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
northern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
I have found that tilting the screen with spacers makes as much a difference as height does, sometimes more.

As well, turbulent air often finds it way from around the sides of the screen, and winglets are a huge help if you get them dialed in right.

It's a real labour of love to get it sorted, and a huge pain in the ass more often than not.
So what have you experienced with spacers? Are you laying it back or pushing it forward?
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern View Post
So what have you experienced with spacers? Are you laying it back or pushing it forward?
Tilting it back made a significant difference, seems to cause less rotation behind the trailing edge. Of course, then it's more likely to knock your teeth out .

I didn't get into the Madstad brackets at the time, would have made life a lot easier I guess. Ended up with a Mirage II, height adjustable only, but better than anything else I tried. 3 years and counting, I still like it.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
f800kris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I've had lots of bikes and windshield setups. By putting the windshield top in between my nose and chin height I have had the best results. Low buffeting wind noise etc. I like a adjustable windscreen on my f800 so when I go off road I can move it down.
f800kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excite-Bike View Post
I can't help noticing that when I hunch over a little and scrunch my neck down a bit that the freeway wind noise that is always there suddenly vanishes.
I have found that to be the case with every bike and screen I have ever had. Even the wife's sport bike is like that if you bend over a little more than normal and lean forward a little. Finding that particular sweet spot you are referring to in the normal riding position seems to be damn near impossible. As chorizo posted, it can be a expensive trail and error.

I had the Madstad brackets on a V-Strom and played with them until it was pretty darn good but even with that if you hunch over a little and scrunch your neck as you posted there was that "even better sweet spot" again.

-
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
SpottheDogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Perhaps it is the forward lean angle that smooths the airflow down your back and not the windshield height at all. Hard to say exactly.

I got a tall touring screen with my bike that the PO had made, it was on the bike when I set out from his place. By the time I got to stop for the first night I was hating the ride, my head was bouncing and bobbling like crazy. The stock screen went on on I sent the tall screen home.

When fall came I thought I would like a taller screen for the cold and figured since I hated that screen I'd experiment with some mods. The first thing I did was drill two 1-3/4" holes just above the instrument cluster to try and equalize pressure behind the screen. BAM! Worked perfectly, no more buffeting at all. Of course it does let some cold air through but that's acceptable.

Here is the bike the day I picked it up.

1990 Honda VTR250 race bike
1974 Honda CB360 Café Racer
SpottheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote