Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #106
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I think I have a dying but not quite dead stator. A resting battery charge of 12.6. It will slowly get up past 13v, but only if the engine revved past 4,000 rpm. Below 12v with high beam and heated grips on high with the engine running.

The bike will fire up even with a battery voltage less than 12v

Here are the stator readings:

Resistance is .5 across the board.

At idle I am getting 28 volts on all 3 prongs

At 3,000 rpm 1-2 is 28
1-3 is 40
2-3 is 52v

Sorry the computer seems to want to put my values where it wants. I have done a test 2 and 3 with a warm engine and at idle the voltage drops for all 3 connections from 15 to 24v. At 3,500rpm 1-2 remains 15v and the others range from 47 to 59v

prongs to ground are all 0.00

Before I order up, is there something else I should be looking at?
As Woody mentioned by having zero ohm to chassis, means a shorted stator. When you measured the ac.... you had the r&r disconnected...yes.... If yes, then your output is too low. My vote is bad stator.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #107
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks screwy to me too, that why I posted. With 2 test with a hot engine. 1-2 stayed at 15v no matter the revs. 1-3 started at 18v at idle, then 47 on the first hot test and 24v on the second at 3,500rpm. 2-4 is now 24v at idle then 54 and 58v at 3,500rpm.

I don't know if it is normal for the voltage to change, but the same thing happened when taking readings at the battery. Different day, different charge rate, none of it good.
Could be the short is somewhat varying with the vibrations....who knows.

Erling
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #108
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
As Woody mentioned by having zero ohm to chassis, means a shorted stator. When you measured the ac.... you had the r&r disconnected...yes.... If yes, then your output is too low. My vote is bad stator.
Yeah, what he said...

If you did NOT have stator disconnected I'm not sure what readings "should" look like ....

R/R could be clouding the picture ....

but with stator disconnected there should absolutely be very high / infinite resistance to ground from all three pins on the stator harness.

So if you are showing "zero" or close hot or cold that's "end of life" for stator.... unless the harness has shorted to ground somewhere along the line....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #109
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I feel like an idiot. Yes the RR has been disconnected. I have some real numbers that I can trust. First it is not shorted. The bolt I was grounding on was encapsulated. The readings are .4, .4, and .5

Idle Voltage is 15v, 20v, 25v. At 3,000rpm they are 28v, 43v, 55v the highest readings I can get are 30v, 55v and 68v.

Obviously I have a phase going south that allows the bike to charge the battery, but hi beams and max grip heat are questionable.

I may be able to nurse this stator along for a while, but I am going to replace it while still in the comfort of my garage.

How do you convert the voltage numbers to total wattage?

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 11:17 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #110
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I feel like an idiot. Yes the RR has been disconnected. I have some real numbers that I can trust. First it is not shorted. The bolt I was grounding on was encapsulated. The readings are .4, .4, and .5

Idle Voltage is 15v, 20v, 25v. At 3,000rpm they are 28v, 43v, 55v the highest readings I can get are 30v, 55v and 68v.

Obviously I have a phase going south that allows the bike to charge the battery, but hi beams and max grip heat are questionable.

I may be able to nurse this stator along for a while, but I am going to replace it while still in the comfort of my garage.

You simply multiply the volts with the amperage draw. But you have to know two of the three. You can measure the amperage draw by putting your meter in line with the item. Like break the circuit on the positive, and insert your meter. What you then read, multiply it with the voltage, and you have watts.

Erling
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #111
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Gary:
It looks like perhaps you have two phases headed south,
one is just closer to being there ....

In practical terms if you are going to nurse it I think you can just monitor voltage while riding and so long as you don't get much below 13V you should be OK but likely stator will continue to get worse so you'd want to have a "Plan B" ... for getting back home if you are far away...

I've seen both Rick's and ElectroSport's stators on eBay at pretty good prices .... personally I'd go with the ElectroSport...
Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #112
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Plan B is in effect. Electro sport has been ordered. I have lousy phone service where I live. I would rather change it now.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #113
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

good plan .... that's what I'd do
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #114
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:

Easy: Watts = Volts x Amps
You are measuring 'open-circuit' voltage, ie No-Load.
zero amps ( multiplied by ) open-circuit voltage (equals ) ZERO watts.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #115
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

It was a theoretical question. Stator is capable of 400 watts, which should be 28 amps? Bike uses around 200 watts to run and keep the lights on. Curious to see what the wattage my dying stator can produce based on the AC voltage numbers I have at 3,000rpm, if the bike was using 200 of them.

I am coming up with 249 watts at 3,000 rpm and 292 at max. Math is hard for me, obviously what ever it is, it is not quite enough.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 02:09 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #116
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
That's the way mine went south.
I limped it back into BC from central Oregon by unplugging the headlights and shutting down everything I could that used power. Once I had done that I could even use the starter rather than having to push start it...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #117
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Ordered my stator Tues, got it Thurs. and installed it this AM. Electro Sport doesn't fool around with delivery. All OK now.

Picked a gasket up at the dealer, making sure they knew it was for the stator side. I was told this is the first F800gs stator that they have ever heard of needing replacement.

You guys need to quit blowing this out of proportion.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #118
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ordered my stator Tues, got it Thurs. and installed it this AM. Electro Sport doesn't fool around with delivery. All OK now.

Picked a gasket up at the dealer, making sure they knew it was for the stator side. I was told this is the first F800gs stator that they have ever heard of needing replacement.

Erling
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #119
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:

Then your bike must be the only one they ever serviced. I replaced 3 K7x staters in the same week the last week I was with BMW.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #120
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

It is probably just me. I had the first cracked fuel tank the dealer had ever seen too. The 2nd one was the new bike on his show room floor.