Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #31
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
You sure about that? I thought all the new K60's had the center stripe.

Edit: You're wrong Griz. The new 140 Scout has the center stripe as seen on Apostolos' bike: HERE
The Scout 140 center stripe is nothing compared to the Scout 150 center stripe. I fact, I wouldn't even call it a center stripe IMO:

New 140/80-17 K60 Scout:

New 150/70-17 K60 Scout:

The two center stripes GREATLY different. The center stripe on the new 140 Scout is not going to make it handle any different than the old 140.

Whereas, the huge center stripe on the 150 does make large difference.

Let's not make this another Heidenau thread. There's already one.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
150/70-17 Heinenau K60?
is the tire - I don't yet have my hands on it but with some confidence expecting next week - maybe two. Unable to share source at his request, short supply.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #33
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
The two center stripes GREATLY different. The center stripe on the new 140 Scout is not going to make it handle any different than the old 140.
Actually, it will have noticeably less movement in the knobs because of the center bar, which will translate into better handling and longer wear.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #34
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Actually, it will have noticeably less movement in the knobs because of the center bar, which will translate into better handling and longer wear.
Possibly, but at the cost of dirt/gravel performance.

Anyway, back to the Scorpion Rally.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
That front scorpion rally looks nice.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #36
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
That front scorpion rally looks nice.
I know, right?

Hell yeah.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #37
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
The center stripe on the new 140 Scout is not going to make it handle any different than the old 140.

What are you basing that statement on? Do you have experience with both tires or are you just basing it on your perception of pictures that you've seen on the internet?

I've owned both tires (6000+ on the original K60, 2000 on the new scout) and I've noticed a difference in on-road performance. There is a smoother and more stable ride with the new center band scout.

Quote:
Possibly, but at the cost of dirt/gravel performance

Another definitive statement that without qualification (which I'm sure you'll provide), contradicts your earlier statement. The center band is either "not going to make it handle any different" or it will handle better on-road "at the cost of dirt/gravel performance." So which is it?

Have you ridden the two tires off-road? I have and in my experience there is no diminishment in off-road performance with the new center band scout.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 11:51 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #38
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #39
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Aren't these the same pirelli's Marc Coma had issues with in the Dakar 2010?
He ended up moving to Michelin Desert Race in 2011 I believe..
Not that this would apply to most or any of us though..

I have used the Michelin Desert Race on the F800GS and I am quite happy with it, I replaced them a few weeks ago to do a road trip (they had very little life left though.. ) but I will probably buy it again next time I fit dirt tires on. They do lose a bit of angle on the side knobs due to the width of the front rim.. but with the weight of this bike you don't end up leaning that much on dirt any way

The knobs in the middle are very hard and outlast the side knows by a lot.. good for those highway miles :)

TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #40
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos View Post
[COLOR=#cdcdcd]There is a smoother and more stable ride with the new center band scout.

and in my experience there is no diminishment in off-road performance with the new center band scout.
David
Encouraging perspective. Hoping for the same experience though I never got a set of predecessor

Back to Scorpion's - Hawt looking tire!
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #41
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
I'm about ready to go for my first set of dirt tires on my 800. I was kinda liking the feedback from the k60 rear, tkc80 front. How does the perelli stack against the tkc front. I mainly use my bike for highway and around town, however I ride dirt a few times a week, and I am really feeling the lack of offroad performance that the stock tires offer.

Ryan
Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #42
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
I'm about ready to go for my first set of dirt tires on my 800. I was kinda liking the feedback from the k60 rear, tkc80 front. How does the perelli stack against the tkc front. I mainly use my bike for highway and around town, however I ride dirt a few times a week, and I am really feeling the lack of offroad performance that the stock tires offer.

Ryan
The Pirelli Scorpion Rally 90/90-21 front has a considerably more aggressive tread pattern than a TKC80 90/90-21 front. This will equate to better handling in the dirt and gravel, at the cost of decreased road performance.

Scorpion Rally 90/90-21:

TKC80 90/90-21:

The Griz screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 11:04 AM
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #43
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Ryan
The TKC's would serve you well. I run them quite agressively Offroad in rough conditions, and they've performed great.....while still being nice on pavement. They just wear fast.....as most "available" tires seem to do.

Wish I could get a Mefo in 140-150 x 17.

The Rally looks promising, but no reason to put off and wait for it. Spoon on some TKC's now and go get dirty!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Wikipedia: Heidenau, an insidious Internet virus posing as a tire advertisement. Often using pictures of a non existent tire and reference to a source where they can be purchased. If left unchecked it will migrate to legitimate tire threads and cause confusion among potential buyers.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
I have had a combination of a front TKC80 and a rear K60 140/80/17 for over 4,000 kilometres now and to be honest its the best combination I have had on the bike. Also had 150 K60, 150 TKC80, front K60 (don't like it!) and front Dunlop 606 (bit noisy on the road ... overall the TKC is better).

I like the all round abilities of the bike with this combo ... really good on gravel, pretty good off road. On bitumen the rear does feel a bit funny, but nothing to get too worried about. The best bit is that so far I have never had a moment where something scary has happened for no apparent reason ... I have had sudden tank slappers on clay from the front K60 and the 150 rear would suddenly let go big time off road without warning every now and then. So far the front TKC has been great and the rear 140 K60 only lets go when you want or expect it to.

Of course this is a personal choice and preference and your individual conditions and riding style may cause differences in perceived performance! ie - YMMV !