User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #121
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Anyone see any thing different.

I was a bit concerned about this tire on wet pavement and light gravel on hardpack. They just did not look like they would get a good "bite"

A 35mile test seemed to confirm the latter, so I siped the middle blocks with my Harbor freight grinder and an abrasive disc.

Seems to work. Less rear end swapping under power and no ill effects yet.

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 12:57 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #122
PatoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Interesting! How many miles have you been riding with them?
PatoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #123
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Not enough to recommend someone else do it.(300 mi.) but it shows promise. Not bagging the tire, just a potential solution to 2 problem areas I imagined. Besides I thought the tire was ugly.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #124
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
I got that email today too, but I was tired of waiting. Still running a KBB front and a 140 E-09 Dakar rear, which I really like. I'll put a scorpion rally on my front this summer when the Big Block is gone.
SportFaller what do you think of the front KBB? Gone to the Rally yet?

I'm thinking of going to Rally in the front but the KBB is in the mix too. Everyone seems to be really happy with the Rally up front. I'm going E-09 in the back.

itsatdm nice work on the tire!

I started cutting out the centre strip on my 140 K60 a while ago.

Thanks,

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #125
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
My Big Block front is still 50% after 4000 miles, so I've yet to switch it out. I did just upgrade to hyperpro fork internals though, and will give it a thorough thrashing tomorrow. Tire pressure seems to make a BIG difference, and I've been runing 28 offroad to balance rim protection and traction. I'd say the BB is a 50/50 tire, and the rally seems more 60/40 or 70/30 offroad. The big blocks aren't as deep as some of the others

I've been kicking around the idea of either a michelin Desert or metzeler unicross fronts too.... since my riding lately has been 75/25

still loving the E09 rear!
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #126
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,315
Where are you guys getting your Mitas tires?
I wouldn't mind trying one on the husky but last I checked it was cost prohibitive to get one from Canada.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #127
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

I got mine before mitas usa went tits-up... I won't be ordering one from canada, shipping is way too high.

Sent from my smarter-than-I-am phone using tapatalk 2
Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #128
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
My Big Block front is still 50% after 4000 miles, so I've yet to switch it out. I did just upgrade to hyperpro fork internals though, and will give it a thorough thrashing tomorrow. Tire pressure seems to make a BIG difference, and I've been runing 28 offroad to balance rim protection and traction. I'd say the BB is a 50/50 tire, and the rally seems more 60/40 or 70/30 offroad. The big blocks aren't as deep as some of the others

I've been kicking around the idea of either a michelin Desert or metzeler unicross fronts too.... since my riding lately has been 75/25

still loving the E09 rear!
So how are you liking the front Big Block? Gravel, dirt, rocks, mud, street? I know it's just a bit more aggressive than the TKC (and stiffer in the sidewall ) and similar to the Karoo 2 in style.
That's kind of what I want because as you say the Rally is 70/30 and I may need a bit more street, wet street (PNW after all ) and long distance. Although the reports say good longevity for the front Rally so far and I try to be easier on the front brake on the road with a knobby up front to help it's lifespan.

On the Mitas note MX1 Canada which lucky for me is local. I saw the new E10 Dakar 150-17 at there today. It's huge since Mitas measure casing width not knob width like most. Dakars are heavy duty casing AND harder rubber I was told. Looks like good a option for something a little less aggressive than a E09, but still longer lasting than a TKC or KBB. No 21" fronts yet though. It looks like one I'd like to try.

Thanks,

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #129
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

The big blocks are good, real good in the rain, in my 4000 miles I rode 700 miles in the pouring rain/ snow, and they were never slick. I'd put them right on even with tkc's. While in moab we rode slickrock, rocks, and sand. They handled very well but the tread is a touch shallow for the deep sand, I overcame that with speed.

Here in the black hills we ride hardpack dirt and lots and lots of rock, no complaints there either. In mud they tend to push and slip mostly because of the tread depth, but my Scotts really helps there.

I only have the tkc's to compare too, and like I said, I'd put the BB's on par, other than cost and lifespan. Gut feeling is that you couldnt push the bb's quite as hard as the tkc's on the road. I did crazy stupid hard and fast road runs on tkc's on my gsa, i wouldn't try that on the BB's.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #130
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
I know it's just a bit more aggressive than the TKC (and stiffer in the sidewall ) and similar to the Karoo 2 in style.

Dave

Think you mean Karoo 'T' as the Karoo 2 is a pretty unusual tread pattern...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #131
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Think you mean Karoo 'T' as the Karoo 2 is a pretty unusual tread pattern...
Hey Bayner!

I did mean the Karoo 2 but the Karro T was sort of in there as well, except it's big $$.

I wanted something slightly more open than the TKC with a stiffer casing. There were a few that fit the bill but none that had really great reviews all 'round esp. for a big bike. So due to the positive reviews of the front Scorp Rally (thanks for yours and everybody's too ) here and in the OC, I'm going that way!

Reports to come...

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #132
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Bayner!

I did mean the Karoo 2 but the Karro T was sort of in there as well, except it's big $$.

I wanted something slightly more open than the TKC with a stiffer casing. There were a few that fit the bill but none that had really great reviews all 'round esp. for a big bike. So due to the positive reviews of the front Scorp Rally (thanks for yours and everybody's too ) here and in the OC, I'm going that way!

Reports to come...

Thanks!

Dave
The rally front is really good offroad. I wouldn't want it on a big bike for hiway, although it will mostly likely do the job as long as you don't need freeway speeds out of it. Over 70 my husky starts the hunt, over 75 it's just scary. Though on the last trip with a good load of camping gear 78-80 was just fine with it. Run about 20-22lbs in it all the time. It needs a few hundred miles on it before it feels planted on the pavement. Frankly I think it's the rubber needs a few heat cyles to harden up a bit.

The Karoo (T) is a complete shit tire. The husky came with them, the front came off at 200 miles, it was like riding on marbles offroad. The rear was fine on road but complete shit off, and was hosed at 750 miles. And those stupid things are way expensive. Definitely not worth it. I have a Karoo II front leftover I may try, unless I just opt for another scorpion rally. They are so good offroad and no bad habits on. I'm not mild on road either, carve canyons with the best of them.

Metzler used to be the schiznit for tires, but I wouldn't run any of their styles on any of my bikes. Same for the chinese crap, kenda, shinko, duro, etc.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #133
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The rally front is really good offroad. I wouldn't want it on a big bike for hiway, although it will mostly likely do the job as long as you don't need freeway speeds out of it. Over 70 my husky starts the hunt, over 75 it's just scary. Though on the last trip with a good load of camping gear 78-80 was just fine with it. Run about 20-22lbs in it all the time. It needs a few hundred miles on it before it feels planted on the pavement. Frankly I think it's the rubber needs a few heat cyles to harden up a bit.

The Karoo (T) is a complete shit tire. The husky came with them, the front came off at 200 miles, it was like riding on marbles offroad. The rear was fine on road but complete shit off, and was hosed at 750 miles. And those stupid things are way expensive. Definitely not worth it. I have a Karoo II front leftover I may try, unless I just opt for another scorpion rally. They are so good offroad and no bad habits on. I'm not mild on road either, carve canyons with the best of them.

Metzler used to be the schiznit for tires, but I wouldn't run any of their styles on any of my bikes. Same for the chinese crap, kenda, shinko, duro, etc.
I don't like karoo T much but I love Karoo without T. That seems to result, for the f800gs, in Karoo 2 for the front and Karoo in the rear (140 width) - both without T.

I think the TKC80 front-tire is total crap but the rear is ok but not as good as karoo without T once you leave the pavement.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #134
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

I'm trying to decide on a tire for the back of my TE630. So many choices, so many drawbacks.

Here's what I posted in the owners thread. Any input from here is appreciated.
I'm wondering if anyone has run this tire and what they thought of it. As you all know I've been a proponent for the T63, it's a great little tire, works stellar on road and really well off. Need something for 50/50 to 75/25 offroad bias. At $68 it's a helluva value.

I've burned two of the T63's now, the last one in two rides. Albiet they were longish rides...400 miles in Death Valley and then 800 miles to Grand Canyon and SW Utah, but still...
So 1200 miles, and it would probly go a couple hundred more but the knob height is getting to less than I like to see for any off pavement work. It's really looking worn out and cracks are starting at the knob base.

And it's a smallish tire, only available in 130/80 size. Hasn't posed a problem, but a little more tread width couldn't hurt, so I'd like to see a 140/80 on there.

The TKC80 seems like it would still have good road manners while providing enough bite for offroad. If I could get a couple of thousand miles out of one it would be worth the extra cost over the T63.

Other tires and what I don't like about them...
D606 - gives up too much on road
K60 - gives up too much off road
MT21 - too short of life
K270 - too squirelly on road, too mild for off
Motoz Tractionator Desert HT - pavement said to shred them and poor traction. Great off road though.
Michelin Desert/Baja - another consideration but said to give some up for pavement.
Pirelli Scorpion Rally - great on the front, I have about 2500 miles on it and 60% worn, but said to evaporate on the rear.
Mitas EO9 - Would try one of these if I could get one. Availability here in the US seems sporadic at best. Last I heard they were shipping out of Canada for stupid shipping costs.
Metzler Karoo series - the Traveler that came on it was shiite and evaporated in 750 miles. Sold off the Karoo2 I had so not bothering with it.
D908 - too big and heavy, poor life

Whatcha'all think?????
TKC80 is $132. Worth a try?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #135
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'm trying to decide on a tire for the back of my TE630. So many choices, so many drawbacks.

Here's what I posted in the owners thread. Any input from here is appreciated.
I'm wondering if anyone has run this tire and what they thought of it. As you all know I've been a proponent for the T63, it's a great little tire, works stellar on road and really well off. Need something for 50/50 to 75/25 offroad bias. At $68 it's a helluva value.

I've burned two of the T63's now, the last one in two rides. Albiet they were longish rides...400 miles in Death Valley and then 800 miles to Grand Canyon and SW Utah, but still...
So 1200 miles, and it would probly go a couple hundred more but the knob height is getting to less than I like to see for any off pavement work. It's really looking worn out and cracks are starting at the knob base.

And it's a smallish tire, only available in 130/80 size. Hasn't posed a problem, but a little more tread width couldn't hurt, so I'd like to see a 140/80 on there.

The TKC80 seems like it would still have good road manners while providing enough bite for offroad. If I could get a couple of thousand miles out of one it would be worth the extra cost over the T63.

Other tires and what I don't like about them...
D606 - gives up too much on road
K60 - gives up too much off road
MT21 - too short of life
K270 - too squirelly on road, too mild for off
Motoz Tractionator Desert HT - pavement said to shred them and poor traction. Great off road though.
Michelin Desert/Baja - another consideration but said to give some up for pavement.
Pirelli Scorpion Rally - great on the front, I have about 2500 miles on it and 60% worn, but said to evaporate on the rear.
Mitas EO9 - Would try one of these if I could get one. Availability here in the US seems sporadic at best. Last I heard they were shipping out of Canada for stupid shipping costs.
Metzler Karoo series - the Traveler that came on it was shiite and evaporated in 750 miles. Sold off the Karoo2 I had so not bothering with it.
D908 - too big and heavy, poor life

Whatcha'all think?????
TKC80 is $132. Worth a try?

Scorpion Rally front and TKC 80 rear maybe?
(but you didn't like the karoo T in the rear so I don't know what you expect from TKC since they are pretty similar).

From what you describe I would vote for E09 in the rear and rally or karoo 2 (without T) in front.