ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...or Waco...hint Avitar
Oddometer: 2,462
TEXAS BACKROADS - CONDITION UPDATES!!....post your latest ride findings

EVERYONE...PLEASE POST YOUR ROAD CONDITION UPDATES TO LET OTHER RIDERS KNOW WHICH COUNTY,FM,RM & RR ROADS HAVE POTENTIAL PROBLEM SPOTS OR CONSTRUCTION

USE THE GOOGLE MAP LISTED IN THIS THREAD FOR LOCATION INFO...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537485

>>>>>>>This thread is intended to provide much needed info on current conditions of our Texas backroads. Whether State Hwy (TX), Farm to Market (FM), Ranch to Market (RM), Ranch Road (RR) or County Roads (CR).<<<<<<<<

I'll begin with this.....

While riding today on a favorite stretch of Bosque County backroad (CR4145...Rock Church Rd) between Cranfils Gap & The Crossroads (FM219 & FM182) I came across several pavement patches with very heavy loose pea gravel. One patch in particular was sneaky bad....cresting a hill between CR4180 & the Rock Church,the patch started at the crest & extended down the hill about 50-60 feet or so.

Had I not encountered previous patches of loose pea gravel,I might have plowed into that loose stuff with predictable results on a street bike! (Dual Sports wouldn't have quite as hard a time with the loose stuff depending on the rider)

BOSQUE CR4145 (ROCK CHURCH RD)
...SO....AS OF SUNDAY 5-8-2011 BE CAREFUL OF THE LOOSE STUFF...It'll blend in with time since this road gets a good bit of traffic regularly......
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie

Mr2mch screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 01:51 PM
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 6,719
I rode several of the CRs last week in Bosque and they are already dusty again
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider), G650 X/Challenge
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,475
I've been noticing a lot of the CR's in the Lufkin area, specifically between Lufkin and Huntington, are paved on each end but towards the middle you round a curve and WAM BAM SAND for about a mile. Some are just gravel in the middle but until you know the road expect sand. CR234 (aka Cotton Thompson Road) was pretty bad in places but CR233 (aka Pahal Rd) seemed to be the sneakiest about it. It had a nice transition to gravel at the very end of a straight and then a 50ish degree corner to some fairly deep sand. Any way lots of them do it out here watch out for it if you choose to explore this area.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man
 
whittrated03's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Waco,Tx
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
>>>>>>>This thread is intended to provide much needed info on current conditions of our Texas backroads. Whether State Hwy (TX), Farm to Market (FM), Ranch to Market (RM), Ranch Road (RR) or County Roads (CR).<<<<<<<<

I'll begin with this.....

While riding today on a favorite stretch of Bosque County backroad (CR4145...Rock Church Rd) between Cranfils Gap & The Crossroads (FM219 & FM182) I came across several pavement patches with very heavy loose pea gravel. One patch in particular was sneaky bad....cresting a hill between CR4180 & the Rock Church,the patch started at the crest & extended down the hill about 50-60 feet or so.

Had I not encountered previous patches of loose pea gravel,I might have plowed into that loose stuff with predictable results on a street bike! (Dual Sports wouldn't have quite as hard a time with the loose stuff depending on the rider)

BOSQUE CR4145 (ROCK CHURCH RD)
...SO....AS OF SUNDAY 5-8-2011 BE CAREFUL OF THE LOOSE STUFF...It'll blend in with time since this road gets a good bit of traffic regularly......

Thanks Rod.....you're always the pro when it comes to this "Road Warrior" thing.
whittrated03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck
 
ghostrider1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Heart of Texas
Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I've been noticing a lot of the CR's in the Lufkin area, specifically between Lufkin and Huntington, are paved on each end but towards the middle you round a curve and WAM BAM SAND for about a mile. Some are just gravel in the middle but until you know the road expect sand. CR234 (aka Cotton Thompson Road) was pretty bad in places but CR233 (aka Pahal Rd) seemed to be the sneakiest about it. It had a nice transition to gravel at the very end of a straight and then a 50ish degree corner to some fairly deep sand. Any way lots of them do it out here watch out for it if you choose to explore this area.
You will discover alot of the same stuff around Comanche, Deleon, and Dublin...SOG and I found some really knarly sugar sand near Lake Proctor that almost ate my GSA
__________________
2008 R1200 GSA (Ghostrider), G650 X/Challenge
"Fuck'em. I'm a lifer. " SlowOldGuy
"The older I get, the faster I was", HardyBaker
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,472
Sand near Lake Proctor. lol. That was a visual dee-light. ghost was fighting the big pig in that deep shit....and he ultimately won. But I had the sand ahead on my card after the first 10 rounds.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
TXjames
High Sider
 
TXjames's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 1,064
Posted the following in Central Texas ADVers and then saw this thread...

Well, seems like it's been a year in the making with really jacked up riding conditions: half-dirt, half-pavement, occasional construction zone escorts and totally unpredictable road surface but 182 from Gatesville to Turnersville to "The Crossroads" is back in service and better than EVER!

I took the back way home last night and the tarmac was perfect. The center stripes are down, the road is all swept up and it's gorgeous. The new section is only from Turnersville to 36 but this ain't the usual chip-seal crap. Nuh-uh! This is that primo, glass-like, pitch black tarmac. And the 2nd part is as good as it always was.
TXjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...or Waco...hint Avitar
Oddometer: 2,462
Re-post

uh....I AGREE.......FM182 is as nice & curvy as Elly Mae (* *)
....as opposed to say...Hwy22 which ,for the most part compares to Miss Jane [- -]
__________________
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet
 
veriest1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Tejas
Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
You will discover alot of the same stuff around Comanche, Deleon, and Dublin...SOG and I found some really knarly sugar sand near Lake Proctor that almost ate my GSA
I'll keep that in mind!

In the southern part of Johnson County (near Brazos Point) that borders Somerville and Bosque County the CR's are in pretty good condition. Watch for "braking bumps" on the edges though. There's also lots of blind corners but it's not half as dangerous now that the natural gas industry has slowed down.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,251
I saw this thread and thought I might pipe in. About a mile south of Bandera on 173 there is a sign for Medina Lake. I think the roads name is Castroville Road. It was paved so I'm thinking its the back way to Castroville, cool. If you take the main paved route its about thirty to forty miles. I think I went maybe ten miles and it turned into gravel. I was on my road pig so I had to turn around. It was nice and curvy while it lasted. Someone should check this out, it might be a nice ride. I had the same thing happen to me over by Utopia on some roads that went from paved to gravel after ten miles. I need to bring my DR down to Texas somehow and do some exploring.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...or Waco...hint Avitar
Oddometer: 2,462
2 possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I saw this thread and thought I might pipe in. About a mile south of Bandera on 173 there is a sign for Medina Lake. I think the roads name is Castroville Road. It was paved so I'm thinking its the back way to Castroville, cool. If you take the main paved route its about thirty to forty miles. I think I went maybe ten miles and it turned into gravel. I was on my road pig so I had to turn around. It was nice and curvy while it lasted. Someone should check this out, it might be a nice ride. I had the same thing happen to me over by Utopia on some roads that went from paved to gravel after ten miles. I need to bring my DR down to Texas somehow and do some exploring.
Yeah....We've got a bunch o roads here in Texas that might start out paved but will change to gravel/rock/sand...etc
Sometimes has to do with county lines & maint costs/county prosperity....or just the number of homes on that particular road ....
or traffic flow.
Looks like you could have been on either of 2 county roads...1 to the west of Lake Medina/Henderson Hollow & loops back to 173...or 1 to the east which goes to Bandera Falls community & connects to FM1283/FM471 & eventually runs to Castroville on TX90

I've never explored that area myself but ...now that you've got the ol ball rollin......well..looks like some more hill country trips on the Strom are in order
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
eric2
®egister this:
 
eric2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Austin
Oddometer: 3,784
Had a great ride last saturday. Met with the gang at the usual spot and took the long way to marble falls while most of the others went to blanco to drool over the waitress at the chest chess club.

Bee creek road was its usual twisty self, lots of asphalt patches and luckily only one cager to pass. Back to 71 long enough to cross the mostly dry perdenales to paleface ranch road. Saw a fawn right at the edge of the road that stayed put, mama deer led us for a while until she turned and cleared a 3 foot fence by about 8 feet. Damn thing must've been 10 feet in the air. Almost nailed a buzzard before krause springs and continued on cr404 to 2147.

Lots of patches and a few spots of gravel on 404. Ate at atwoods in MF, I like it better than the bluebonnet because they actually know how to make an omelette. Mormon hills road was ok up into burnet where we looped back down 281 to PR4. Liked it so much ran it back down from 29 but one of the crew got a flat. All fixed up, we took backroads into and out of burnet (340 and 330) got another flat, picked up 334 then to oatmeal and then a quick jaunt down 243 to 1174 to one of my favs, cr328 aka cow creek road, which had fresh gravel end to end. Same guy chucked one of his goopy cord patches, fixed again only to lose both on 1431. Used 3 goopy cords and it finally held all the way into austin. Couldn't tell what caused the flats
but appeared to be staples from the looks of the holes.
__________________
Eric
'06 R12GS, '13 s1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Mr2mch OP
Cycledelic Hippie
 
Mr2mch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: where the highway leads ya...or Waco...hint Avitar
Oddometer: 2,462
Flat out frustrating....!!!

All of our really great roads seem to be gettin bombarded by construction debris...AKA NAILS,STAPLES,SCREWS....you name it & it's probably gonna get picked up by a tire.!!!!

I think I'll mount a utility magnet under my engine & see what gets picked up.....

I wish the "enforcers" would take a closer look at all those trailers loaded down with construction/trash/junk bouncin round & fallin off.....
__________________
Rod the Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide...Like my stickers??

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
eric2
®egister this:
 
eric2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Austin
Oddometer: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
All of our really great roads seem to be gettin bombarded by construction debris...AKA NAILS,STAPLES,SCREWS....you name it & it's probably gonna get picked up by a tire.!!!!

I think I'll mount a utility magnet under my engine & see what gets picked up.....

I wish the "enforcers" would take a closer look at all those trailers loaded down with construction/trash/junk bouncin round & fallin off.....
You got that right, couple years back was coming back from lunch on I35 got behind a flatbed looked like water coming off the back. Turned it was nails from an open box of 'em. Could hear them tink when thy hit the road, some bouncing as high as my head. I wanted to catch up and at least see the company logo but my exit came up and i was still dodging nails.
__________________
Eric
'06 R12GS, '13 s1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food
 
exoff-roadgoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: W.Meechigan
Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
All of our really great roads seem to be gettin bombarded by construction debris...AKA NAILS,STAPLES,SCREWS....you name it & it's probably gonna get picked up by a tire.!!!!

I think I'll mount a utility magnet under my engine & see what gets picked up.....

I wish the "enforcers" would take a closer look at all those trailers loaded down with construction/trash/junk bouncin round & fallin off.....
Please don't take this as a slam but.....I just got back from a month in Texas and couldn't believe the trash alongside some of the roads. I think only Georgia is worse, maybe. I did see alot of metal garbage at intersections too. I just got back from my trip and am going to send a Email out to someone in the Don't Mess With Texas department. I can here them now, Its not in the budget. Oklahoma, Ark. and Missouri were pretty well kept up. I love Texas and litter is a pet peave of mine.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 02:32 PM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014