Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
I also find most Asians cannot admit they are wrong.
Stupid thing called "face" and how its not culturally correct to call someone out for F'ing up.
Well I think it's a bunch of BS, if you can't admit being wrong, you're just making a bigger fool of yourself.
Just because you can't see the truth doesn't mean everyone else can't.
I'm wrong all the time, you learn from mistakes and get more respect in admitting it in my opinion.
I feel America's ability to quickly admit and recover from mistakes helped make it the most powerful country today.
Ah.. the eternal headache of dealing with "loosing face" in Asia for us aliens
I'm not from around here neither, and I have to say that loosing face thing is not easy to deal with. I usually just take my time, and absolutely never ever get angry. Smiling, asking, even making some sort of apology, always helps to get around that thing and obtain what I want (i.e the other to recognize somehow they made a mistake and fix it without me having to loose a brain bolt).

@rickypanecatyl, how is the Motoport unit fairing in Malaysia's weather ? I'm an ATGATT freak and I wanted to get it but just couldn't phantom pulling it in the local hot humid weather.
besides the manufacturing errors, how comfortable are you riding in those ?

PS: loved the kids and wife's ATGATT pics
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
That sucks, Rick. Hope you get it sorted out fast with Wayne. I love the gear but certainly would hate to be in your situation.
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
I've had the Kevlar Mesh top and bottom custom made and have used it for about a year through both seasons here in Texas (Hot and Cold).

The jacket, despite several long conversations, measuring my old Roadcrafter, shirts, etc. came out big on me, but the nice aspect of this is that there is plenty of airflow and room for layering. So, it is something I have become used to over time. There is enough adjustment to snug it up, but the arms seem a little long, almost covering my entire hand when not zipped up to keep them up on the wrist.

The only other nag is that the pockets aren't waterproof, though I could probably get Wayne to make liners from the material used in the rain liner. When I get into rain I must remember to stop and remove the wallet, cell phone, leather gloves or anything else that might suffer from exposure to water. On a recent trip I had to create a debris field in my motel room drying out my wallet and it's contents.

Other than those small nags I am overwhelmed by the advantages of the Motoport suit over the Roadcrafter that I owned for twenty years. It is so very much more comfortable in the Texas heat and humidity with just some wicking shorts and shirt underneath in the Summer. Unlike the Roadcrafter where you must wear a cotton layer between the suit and the skin in case of it melting during a slide on pavement.

In the Winter the rain liner does a fine job of blocking the wind. With just an electric vest I can ride on most cold days comfortably.

The knee pads sit properly when I'm on the bike, but do hang low when walking around. I think it is designed this way on purpose. Compared to the Roadcrafter that pressed hard against my kneecap and became uncomfortable (excruciating?) after several hours in the saddle.

The Motoport Kevlar Mesh ain't pretty at all, but the colors came the way I ordered them. It is a very tough and functional suit, and that's what I wanted when I purchased it.

From what I understand, the strength numbers quoted are from actual destructive testing done to compare the material with the leather racing suits. Like you, I hope to never test it myself, but feel pretty good about the technology behind the material.

I'm surprised that Wayne didn't offer to send you the correct color pockets to have a local tailor sew on. He seemed to me to be someone who is proud of his work and sincerely interested in supporting the customer.

I hope you can get it all worked out to your satisfaction.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
Doron
Capt. Grudo

Oddometer: 17
My motoport gear in a crash

Just a personal experience.
I totalled my 2005 R1200RT in Memphis about 8 months ago. I was on my way from Florida back to Tulsa OK.
I broke seven ribs and had some bumps here and there. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the Mesh Kevlar from Motoport saved my life. The suit itself in mostly intact and I use it on my new 2005 R1200GS. Great product.
Now, I also had one shine armour lower than the other and Wayne did not believe it till I sent him the suit. He fixed it.
Are they the best in cut fit and customer service? maybe not.
Did they save my life? they sure did.
Your decision.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Ricky, when I sent the shirt back to be altered, I removed the armor and used rubber bands to bend them to conform better to my body, around my arms and legs, and over my knees (double bend for the shin/knee piece), etc. Leave them bound up for a few days and once reinserted into the suit, the fit was infinitely better-the armor was not trying to lie flat but conformed better to my bod. This may help in you quest to get it to fit reasonably well.

I know many on this forum have had nothing but rave reviews for this product. Maybe they were just lucky and didn't get a "Friday afternoon" or "Monday morning" product.

How is your dialogue with Wayne going??
Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Good protective gear, ugly as hell (I'm 70 so what do I care) and TF BIG!!!!!

A couple of years before I ordered my Kevlar Mesh, I ordered a set of Kevlar jeans, sent a pair of my jeans in, marked, etc. Not even close, I could take over 2" out of the circumference of each thigh. Unfortunately the waist fit perfectly (then).

I flew in to San Diego for a vacation so drove up and got measured at the shop for the mesh suit. TF BIG!!!

Still feel safe in the suit. Bought the liners, wear FrogTogs instead (take up less room) save your $$.

I agree, I'd get the stretch next time. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I tried to talk with Wayne several more times and quickly realized he's a lot of fun to talk to when your telling him about some amazing testimonials you read about his gear on ADVRider but not so fun if your criticizing his work

Let's see the best answers I could get to the mistakes on the order were:

Jacket the wrong color
Waynes answer: "so I made 1 silly mistake."

Knee armor too low
Waynes answer: "sheesh!! In your coutry it'd probably take someone 2 seconds to cut the liner out and resew it in the proper position."

Cargo pocket too small
Waynes anser: (He had told me to mark on the sample jeans I sent in a rough sketch of where I wanted it. I did, but also sent in the exact measurement of the pocket and confirmed it in a email which he told me read and would follow in a phone conversation.) Wayne said, yes I saw the dimensions you wrote on the paper but I instead I followed the drawing on your pants. (Actually truth was the pocket he made was about 1/2 the size of the dimensions I sent in and 3/4 the size of the "rough drawing")

No velcro strap behind the calf to hold the knee armor in place that I paid for:
Waynes answer: "That's right... that's not an option anymore on the pants you ordered."

No strap like he told me there would be on the elbow to hold the armor in place
Waynes answer: we used to do that but found most guys didn't like it.

OK so I realized I'd be on my own for trying to sort this out. One of the funny things Wayne said was he made thousands of custom suits and NONE of them came back!! All his customers were satisified.
I pointed out that just because he wouldn't let any pants come back that didn't necesarily mean he 100% customer satisfaction.

I know tons of guys on this web site have ordered his stuff and absolutely love it! That's why I bought it.
If I had to guess objectively what happened I would guess that he is probably German and that he usually does a good job of making stuff but when he screws up he can't/wont admit it. Being German he probably does work really hard behind the scenes to fix it while all the while insisting he didn't make any mistake.
A case in point I pointed out some claims on his web site that were't true and he argued strongly but a few days later I noticed those claims were no longer there.
After reading the above post, I'm having flashbacks of my experience with Motoport and Wayne last year.

I ordered a Marathon Kevlar Mesh jacket. I spoke with Wayne several times, sent measurements 3 times, etc. I should note that I have an unusual body build (short arms for my chest size). I wear a 48" but need sleeves shortened to 33" dress shirt size. Wayne kept telling me to size my current jacket and send those measurements in. I had to repeat again and again, if my current jacket fit properly, I wouldn't need a new Motoport.

Anyway, after all that I was sent a XXL sized jacket with 37" sleeves. Good thing I live in the same state as Motoport, so return shipping was cheap. Wayne kept telling me it was my fault. The jacket was supposed to be baggy to fit in the 2 liners I didn't order or want, and the sleeves needed to be bunched up. It was very clear to me he sent me an off the rack sized XXL jacket.

After complaining twice and once again measuring and remeasuring, I sent back the XXL jacket. I got an XL jacket back with very short sleeves. Yep, this was the "custom" Motoport I ordered. The sleeves however were about an inch to short. Instead of dealing with the same old BS from Wayne, I started wearing gauntlet style gloves.

It is a great jacket, but it should be for the price I paid. The fit is still baggy, it looks frumpy, sleeves are too short, but it works in the California Summers w/o the liner I didn't need/want. I wanted to order a pair of Kevlar Jeans from Motoport, but after the runaround I got, I went with Aerostich.

TierHawg screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 01:17 PM Reason: speeling
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #23
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?

Oddometer: 263
Yeah but what about that Andrew at Adventurers Workshop!

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_of_the_future View Post
Yeah but what about that Andrew at Adventurers Workshop!

Does he wear Motoport too?
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
bike&run
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Selective Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

One of the funny things Wayne said was he made thousands of custom suits and NONE of them came back!! All his customers were satisified.
False. Well, maybe technically true since I don't have a suit. I ordered a pair of the mesh "police" pants about three years ago and sent them a pair of my own jeans for measurements. I ended up sending them back to have them fixed because they came up too high on my torso. Like "mom jeans" if you will. It was uncomfortable while riding and I was constantly adjusting. What I wanted was for them to leave the total length of the pants the same, but raise the crotch farther toward the waist. This would have made the legs "longer" and the distance from the bottom of the crotch to the top of the belt shorter. Well, he didn't go for this idea and insisted they would have to remove material from the top of the waist, resulting the pants being shorter. I finally gave in after several minutes of attempting to explain what I wanted and getting nowhere. It works out because I have adventure boots that come up almost to my knees but I was unhappy with the entire transaction. Oh, and they charged me $100 for the mod. I still wear the pants but I won't buy anything from them again. When I needed an all-weather jacket I went with Rev'it. I do think they are very well constructed and the airflow is quite good. I put them to use in the BMW 2day offroad class where I fell countless times over the course of two days and wasn't at all sore.
bike&run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
IM 6'9"........not easy to fit. First time I put on my gear I freaked out because I thought it didnt fit. I called Wayne and bitched. He told me to go sit on the bike and that it was madeto fit in the riding position. Also, he siad that the more your ride with it. Your body heat will conform the pads to you. He was right on both. Granted this stuff is made by humans for humans and there are a lot of mistakes along the way that can happen. I have delt with Wayne and he was very profesional with me. Seems very out of character for him.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
To water proof my air mesh pockets I use this amazing new invention called Ziplock sandwich baggies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I've had the Kevlar Mesh top and bottom custom made and have used it for about a year through both seasons here in Texas (Hot and Cold).

The jacket, despite several long conversations, measuring my old Roadcrafter, shirts, etc. came out big on me, but the nice aspect of this is that there is plenty of airflow and room for layering. So, it is something I have become used to over time. There is enough adjustment to snug it up, but the arms seem a little long, almost covering my entire hand when not zipped up to keep them up on the wrist.

The only other nag is that the pockets aren't waterproof, though I could probably get Wayne to make liners from the material used in the rain liner. When I get into rain I must remember to stop and remove the wallet, cell phone, leather gloves or anything else that might suffer from exposure to water. On a recent trip I had to create a debris field in my motel room drying out my wallet and it's contents.

Other than those small nags I am overwhelmed by the advantages of the Motoport suit over the Roadcrafter that I owned for twenty years. It is so very much more comfortable in the Texas heat and humidity with just some wicking shorts and shirt underneath in the Summer. Unlike the Roadcrafter where you must wear a cotton layer between the suit and the skin in case of it melting during a slide on pavement.

In the Winter the rain liner does a fine job of blocking the wind. With just an electric vest I can ride on most cold days comfortably.

The knee pads sit properly when I'm on the bike, but do hang low when walking around. I think it is designed this way on purpose. Compared to the Roadcrafter that pressed hard against my kneecap and became uncomfortable (excruciating?) after several hours in the saddle.

The Motoport Kevlar Mesh ain't pretty at all, but the colors came the way I ordered them. It is a very tough and functional suit, and that's what I wanted when I purchased it.

From what I understand, the strength numbers quoted are from actual destructive testing done to compare the material with the leather racing suits. Like you, I hope to never test it myself, but feel pretty good about the technology behind the material.

I'm surprised that Wayne didn't offer to send you the correct color pockets to have a local tailor sew on. He seemed to me to be someone who is proud of his work and sincerely interested in supporting the customer.

I hope you can get it all worked out to your satisfaction.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I've now worn the pants and jacket about 100 hours total. Asside from mistakes in the order here are some other observations.
My shirt and jacket are so far from what Wayne promised that I have to wonder if there is something sprecifically wrong with my shirt and jacket. Unfortunately Wayne will not look at them. He emailed me that he will not respond to anymore of my emails or calls and that I am the worst customer he has had in 40 years of business.

The following problems are huge to me and my usage though many of you living in colder climates who ride less often might not find these issues a problem.

Both Wayne and his website say:
"The outer Mesh Kevlar does not absorb water and is dry in minutes after the rain stops.
Machine Washable. Will never stretch out or shrink."

This is extremely false and a bummer for my use. The 2nd day I rode with them I was doing some hot and sweaty off road riding and was crossing a creek at the end. I parked the bike and jumped in the river and swam around in them.
I had always envisioned doing this before I bought them because 1.) it feels so good in this heat, and 2.) the claim that it is dry in minutes after the rain stops.
When I got out of the river, I shook them out, had dry underwear on and then road home an hour on the hiway at speeds of about 100 k/hour. The gear was still very wet when I got home.

Almost every day here it rains hard for a short period of time. I’ve been caught in the rain about 6x now. 2 days ago I rode thru a thunderstorm and was soaked to the skin in 30 seconds or so. (He also says the material resists getting wet for about 30 minutes though when I asked him about that he clarified that he meant the stretch Kevlar. It was wrong on his website though but it looks like he fixed it. No matter – rain penetrates both the stretch and the mesh kevlar in moments though of course Malaysia's rains are harder than most.) After the rain stopped I road another 15 minutes to the gym where I work out and hung the pants/jacket over the squat rack. I then worked out for 2 hours, did some paperwork in my workout clothes, showered and put my still wet motoport clothes back on. They weren’t soaked, but wet enough after that time period to soak my new, dry synthetic underwear.
That is consistently the case with the gear. I mention the gym as I expect the gear to dry faster there. The weather outside in the day is usually about 95F with 85% humidity. In the air conditioned gym the temp is about 83F with 45% humidity. All clothes I’ve tested do dry faster in the cooler, but drier conditions.
For anyone else who cares about this issue, coming out of a spin cycle of the washer they dry about 1/3 faster than 501 Levis and 3X as long as synthetic REI type travel pants. Inside our house under the fan, those synthetic pants take about 2 hours to be totally dry, the motoports about 6-7 hours, and Levis about 10 hours.

I should also mention that you have to use a front loading washer with them. No big deal if that is what you have but it really cuts down on the convenience of someone like me who uses them every day when you don’t have a front loader and they take so long to dry.

Let’s see, Wayne also says on his website:
"Breathes better than nylon or leather, the best suit to wear for hot weather."
"Breathes better than Jeans in hot weather yet works better in cold weather."
"Intake zipper vents in the arms with exhaust vents in the back with all the Stretch Kevlar suits. With all the Mesh Kevlar no venting is necessary. The entire suit is a vent. While riding with air circulating Motoport guarantees that you'll be more comfortable in hot weather than if you wore a T-shirt and shorts, even at temperatures of 100F or more."
"Will not conduct cold or heat like leather/nylon or polyester so even the black color works great for hot weather."
This is more subjective but I find it false. I personally have never worn anything that feels as gross next to my skin when I’m sweaty and wet than the motoport gear. I just went for a “bad” ride for the first time in a week last night with just jeans and a t shirt. It felt absolutely glorious next to the motoport gear. I know it’s stupid, unsafe and dangerous but I did want to point out that claim is not close to true.
No material makes me sweat as much as the motoport; and soon I get it on I am flowing like a faucet! I certainly is better when you are moving though I can’t feel air coming thru the mesh. Of course I can see light thru it and no I don’t understand why I can see thru it but not feel air thru it. The air next to my skin does feel trapped. When I open the sleeve vents hot air seems to pour out. It reminds me of getting into a non a/c car on a 100F Phoenix day. Of course it is hot outside but it’s much, much hotter inside and there is a sense of relief as you get moving and the air drops from 150 to 100 J.
As a funny side note just try to take Wayne up on one of his “claims” or “guarantees”. He screams, “How could I make money if I took back every suit built to the custom size/color specs of the customer?
I pointed out 1.) a guarantee isn’t contingent on you making money 2.) they were not built to my size/color specs but to his and 3.) I thought I was the only customer who ever had a complaint anyways? (I think that is what precipitated the “you’re the worst customer I’ve had in 40 years” email. )

In defense of Wayne's product I've wondered if the mesh would breathe in dryer climates. I'm envisioning those little goretex product description cards that come with goretex gear. You've got a picture of a rain droplet bouncing off the outside of the fabric and smaller water vapor permeating thru the fabric. I wonder if humid air is just "bigger" (It sometimes feels that way to my lungs )... I don't know... but my breathes a bit better than a plastic bag and that's about all.

I do also feel the black is hotter than the blue under the sun and I do imagine a light grey/white would feel cooler despite the color not absorbing sunshine claim.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #29
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Good things to say....

The mesh fabric does appear to be very strong... though when I first got it there were lots of loose threads hanging out. Wayne assured me that was ok though I wasn't convinced.
Since then I have ridden thru lots of sharp thorns, bramble etc, and the material seems excellent for that.
Another way to describe it, is this would be what I would wear if I was back in Washington state clearing blackberry bushes by hand. With the right old junker bike, I might try blasting thru 10' deep/thick of blackberry bushes.

I'm constantly riding thru stuff that looks like this:

Makes my bike look like this:

and makes me look like this:

With the motoport gear I charge and attack the unknown brambles with a new fervor!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #30
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 590
I also have a set of Motoport gear. Air mesh pants and air mesh jacket.
The pants fit perfectly, no problems. The jacket arrived too small despite me accurately measuring myself. I even provided more measurements than required on the sizing guide. It was not chronically too small but enough to be annoying.

It came by post to Europe where I live. I thought about it and since I was planning on losing weight anyway, I decided it was easier to lose about 5kg weight than send the jacket back to the US for alteration, so I guess I'm thankful to Wayne for helping me along with my weight loss.

Overall, I'm happy with the gear, including the jacket. I would buy it again and recommend it, with the advisory that the sizing may be a bit out. I feel very well protected and I can't think of anything which offers as much protection in warmer weather.

I find in light rain it is not necessary to use the rain liner.

BTW: I worked for about 6 months in Kuala Lumpur; drove a car while in Malaysia, didn't ride but I really liked it and a bike would really help beating those bad-ass KL traffic jams.

I find the quad armour too bulky.... am thinking of using Wayne's armour replacement program and swapping it for the tri-armor. The other thing is there is about a 4-inch gap in the jacket armour right at the centre of the chest where the zip is. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of protection it would provide if you were to T-bone a car pulling out infront of you. I think a dedicated chest protector would do a better job.
I may even replace the quad with tri armor and get a hit-air CO2 inflatable vest to put on top.
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote