User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #46
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Poll for owners and future owners

As I stated in my original post, one of the things that attracted me to the motoport gear was the claim on the website that it dries in minutes after getting wet.
I just assumed it was true and thought that would be really cool as I could blast thru our many short and hard rainstorms here and be dry in minutes, I could jump in the rivers I crossed while riding in the jungle and then be dry in minutes, heck if I was stinky I could even jump in the shower with all my pants and shirt on at work, soap them down, hang them in front of a fan for 10 minutes or so while I worked in my underwear with the door locked and then have some fresh smelling clothes again.

So here is what I'm curious about:

1.) To other motoport owners how long does it take your gear to dry? Mine dries in about 6 hours hanging, is mostly dry after 2 hours of freeway speed riding (though my butt of course will still be soaked - the part I want to dry the fastest. I suppose I'll have to learn how to ride standing on the pegs backwards ).

2.) To present or future owners, does/did the claim to dry in minutes attract you more to their gear? I'm I the only one whose imagination went wild with the possibilities of what you could do with gear that dried in minutes?

I think comfort is a much more subjective topic than how long it takes to dry. For instance the straps on the Fox elbow/knee gards I show on the first post kind of bother my skin when I get sweaty under them. Riding in this hot humid weather with lots of guys I'd estimate that 1/3 like me have their skin irritated by the straps and sweat combo. That of course leaves 2 in 3 not bothered.
For what its worth I find the feeling of the motoports liner next to my skin very comfortable when it/my skin is dry and probably the nastiest feeling fabric I've worn next to my skin when it is wet.
Hence if it really did what Wayne said and dried in minutes after the rain that would be a huge bonus. If it breathed so I didn't sweat so much that would be great! But... IT DOESN'T!!

As to the mesh not breathing, in a letter Wayne sent me before I ordered he said he had a brand new "hydrophobic" lining he was using. I wonder if the difference between the guys saying the mesh breathes great and mine could be the liner? And as I've already mentioned I wonder if "air molecules" (I know that is not the correct term) are bigger in high humidity areas?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #47
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWBo View Post
They breathe much better than my BMW summer pants and Olympia Airlglide pants.

I like them so much I bought a jacket from another inmate (yet to be received)....and if it does not fit well, I'll order one from Wayne. I get hot easily, and this is the coolest gear I've found. I'm willing to pay for comfort and protection.....will still wear my Stich in the cooler weather....
Your experience sounds so different from mine. It makes me wonder more on the new liner he is using on the inside of the mesh - maybe that is what is not breathing.

I've never thougth of denim jeans as "breathing", but I did an interesting test yesterday. I went for a 1/2GATT ride . I had jeans on the bottom and my mesh shirt on top. Without question, my legs were much, much cooler than my top with the exception of where right above my inside knee where hot exhaust gases were blowing on my leg.*
As I focussed on it, I could sense air coming thru the denim jeans but feel nothing coming thru the shirt. I'll try reversing the test today.

*That reminds me of an important note!! The mesh kevlar seems extremely sensitive to heat! I've got a spot on behind the bend on my exhaust pipe where if I were (hypothitically of course) wearing just shorts it will hurt my leg if I leave it in the same spot for a few minutes. Yes I have ridden in shorts, and this "spot" is something that would seriously hurt if I didn't move my leg though if I am wearing shorts I just subconsciously move my leg every now and then as it get hot. I don't have to move my leg wearing jeans though it is an uncomfortably hot spot.
Point of that is, that spot on my mesh jeans almost appears to be melted. It has a shiny look to it about the size of a silver dollar. Extrapolating from there I'm sure you would burn thru your pants/jacket in a moment if you were to take it off, throw it over the seat and have it touch the exhaust.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #48
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
As to the mesh not breathing, in a letter Wayne sent me before I ordered he said he had a brand new "hydrophobic" lining he was using. I wonder if the difference between the guys saying the mesh breathes great and mine could be the liner
Could a problem be the that the hydrophobic liner doesn't wick moisture away from you at all, leaving your skin wet? Maybe wearing a wicking layer underneath would help? Wearing yet another layer in humid heat doesn't sound really appealing tho...
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #49
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Ricky, for the type of performance you are looking for in riding gear you might check Area 51 for some answers.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #50
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
As I stated in my original post, one of the things that attracted me to the motoport gear was the claim on the website that it dries in minutes after getting wet.
I lived in southern Vietnam for a few years where it buckets down like it does in Malaysia and is also hot... probably more so.

Here's what worked for me:

Waterproof textile pants. Was hotter than I would like but I could cope with a hot lower half.

Alpinestars mesh jacket - totally nonwaterproof. When it started to rain, I'd put on a cheap poncho which was 100% waterproof but not breathable.

This worked for me at Vietnam speeds of about 50km/h. If you plan on blasting up and down the North-South Expressway at 130km/h the cheap poncho would be a no-go.

Easter Mekong Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329194

Streets of Vietnam
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335816

Current bike: 2008 Honda CBF-600
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #51
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,920
Gentleman, Gentlemen,

We are hearing one side of the story. It is too bad that gear doesn't fit, in all the dealing I have had with Wayne he has never been an ass hat.No business person in their right mind will get into an internet forum battle to defend themselves so all we ever hear is one side. As someone else pointed out the OP's dates and time line of events are not perfectly clear so hopefully the OP will make nice nice with Wayne and vice versa and some resolution can occur

I get my suits shirts and dress pants all made by a tailor in Hong Kong, custom fitted clothing take time and there can be fitting problems. That is the nature of the beast

I have the Motoport Stretch Kevlar jacket and pants and now have the AirMesh Stretch jacket and pants on order.

The gear is not beautiful but it is very functional and it fits perfectly.

It takes a long time on the phone to get the gear measured correctly. My wife knows how to sew and we were on the phone for 90 minutes with Wayne. He was very patient and when the jacket and pants arrived they fit perfectly. I feel naked riding in my Darien jacket and pants in comparison and I am too tall to get fitted in BMW or Klim.

I just sent a pal to buy the mesh Kevlar and he rode from Canada to Wayne's shop and had a fitting appointment. I knew the measuring process would be a disaster for him.
There are two sides to every story.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #52
GHanson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
Gentleman, Gentlemen,

...As someone else pointed out the OP's dates and time line of events are not perfectly clear so hopefully the OP will make nice nice with Wayne and vice versa and some resolution can occur
Bill, would you steer me to the post where the statement you reference above was made? I read the thread twice and couldn't find anything other than:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Your first post was 5/9/11. Your last post 5/13/11 and you state you've had the gear for a week. Seems pretty respectful towards Wayne on your part. Clearly, you've given him the opportunity to do the right thing.
The implication in your post is that the original poster is playing fast and loose with dates and timelines, and isn't being fair to Motoport. That would change our understanding of the situation completely, so the clarification is important. Thanks.
GHanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #53
slow24
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thumb

I sorry for those who have problems with Motoport. I had my kit made last year. I live some what close so I was able to go in to be fitted. When I placed my order I brought in my Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants. Between Wayne and Christie they got me fitted right on. I have wide shoulders and no gut. I had my RC jacket altered once, but still was snug. The next size up was like a tent, way to loose in the waist.
Mine is a Marathon stretch kevlar and pants. I have quad armor in both. From the get go they felt great and way more comfortable than my stich. I have to admit the quad armor dose not flow as much air as I would like but boy do I feel safe. Even with the thick armor I am still not as hot as the stitch was. The pants they made me are sort of a hybrid as they have the zippers in the legs and the jean type waist less belt loops. If the funds are there this summer I am going to order a GP2 jacket with tri armor for getting aroud town.

If you are an off the rack size there is a lot of choices depending on your budget. But if you need a custom kit I have only found two and have tried both. And that is why I am sticking with Motoport...Just my two cents!!!
slow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #54
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I have two sets of Motoport gear, both with waist-cut jackets. The mesh pants are meant to be overpants & do fit looser than others I have seen. I have been in rain in AZ, CO & WY, all times in the summer. The clothes I had on underneath dried in a short time, but the humidity there is MUCH less than in tropical climates so no surprise there. One thing I have noticed is that riding in over 100 degree heat, the air flow with mesh gear will pull all of the moisture from your body. You will NOT feel any air movement even at 90mph. IF I wear mesh I wear the inner liner & am comfortable. Again this is in desert air, low humidity, no clue about high humidity situations. Your guess/experience is much better than mine.

I bought the police pants & jacket in stretch kevlar. These pants are not meant to be worn as overpants & the legs tuck into boots. Both pants & jacket do breathe about like denim. I can open the vents on the jacket for more air flow. I haven't had these in rain yet but I imagine they will not dry a quickly as the mesh. Reason is, the mesh doesn't get wet, just the stuff underneath.

Overall, I like the stretch better than the mesh. Seems to fit better & also looks better, I think. I wore the mesh pants & stretch jacket on a trip to Illinois in April. It seemed like the best combo for layering & I was comfortable in most cases in temps from 28(not really comfortable, but bearable) to 80. To be fair, the pants would have been much more comfortable had I worn the inner liner, but I didn't as I knew I would be in warmer temps soon.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #55
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
Ricky, for the type of performance you are looking for in riding gear you might check Area 51 for some answers.
LMAO!

The Final Straw: This amazing suit can " dry out in minutes."

Rick then recounts how he is riding in the heat and humidity and crosses a creek. Rick completely believes in the air mesh kevlars ability to "dry out in minutes." rick then jumped in the creek completely suited up in his full motoport gear and swam around like a fish

He obviously thought it would dry in minutes.... Like water rolling off a ducks back. oh my god, lmao, i would love to see a video tape of him in the water and then the drive home completely soggy, all the while feeling betrayed by Wayne who calls him his worst customer in 40 years...

To make matters worse, Ricky finds "I personally have never worn anything that feels as gross next to my skin when I’m sweaty and wet than the motoport gear."

This is one of my favorite gear reviews ever, very honest opinion of the gear, and I feel like Rick is not even trying to bash motoport, he is just honestly posting his experience as accurately as he can. Personally, I think air mesh kevlar is a god awful material and in no way compares to the stretch kevlar (which is keprotec), but I know people that love it from their posts on advrider. I have the GP2 jacket/pants in stretch kevlar and I am happy with it.

EDIT: Rick - do not interpret my message as being harsh - it sucks to have high expectations and then to be disappointed.. I think motoport should tone down some of the hyperbole in their advertising as it can mislead people on the internet that haven't seen the gear or met anyone with the gear. I particularly love this gem, "With all the Mesh Kevlar no venting is necessary. The entire suit is a vent. While riding with air circulating Motoport guarantees that you'll be more comfortable in hot weather than if you wore a T-shirt and shorts, even at temperatures of 100F or more."

Don't worry, the bitterness will wear off in a few years. However, you will probably have an instant dislike to anyone you meet in the future named "Wayne." :)

muddbutt screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 07:40 PM
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #56
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg_wtf View Post
motoport's quad armor is actually pretty dang good.
I'm not sure how it ranks with aerostitch, knox, etc.
It's definitely better than that crappy ce-1 hard armor that you get with low end gear like joe rocket.
Was it just the comfort factor that you didn't like? Once i broke mine in, it became comfy.

This guy reminds me of tron guy:

Is this the OP? WTF?
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #57
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbutt View Post
Anyway, kevlar is much better than leather for tear resistance, but competition grade leather is better for abrasion resistance. So for sliding down asphalt at 100mph, competition grade leather is better. if you wanted to use your pants to hoist your truck off the ground, kevlar is better.

Intereesting point... I'm sure we can use it for something!

When I read it my mind did a flashback to the Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson movie Shanghai noon. They're in jail and Jackie Chan tells Owen to pee on his shirt cuz when the material becomes wet it's unbreakable.
Jackie wraps it around some of the jail bars, twists it with another bar until the bars bend and says something like, "see! I told you!" and Owen says, "No, you said 'wet shirt don't break' NOT 'piss on shirt get out of jail!'"
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #58
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Hey. Just read your problem with the gear drying out. I do not have the same problem with mine. Maybe faster spin cycle? Or maybe just that my place is rather windy. Anyway, I sure hate to have to order another jacket given your experience. Sigh. And I DO like the gear very much.
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #59
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Are weather is about the same so it makes me wonder again if it could be the new liner.
I just washed the gear and ended the wash cycle with a 3X spin. I hung it up at 2:00 pm under a ceiling fan and now at 8:25 it feels 95% dry.
Does your gear dry as fast as the website claims? IE if you get it totally soaked in one of our downpours and then the rain stops is it dry in a few minutes?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #60
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
We are hearing one side of the story. It is too bad that gear doesn't fit, in all the dealing I have had with Wayne he has never been an ass hat.No business person in their right mind will get into an internet forum battle to defend themselves so all we ever hear is one side.
Bill,

With due respect, your comments are irrelevant. Yes, I'm certain there at least two sides to any story. As to the other side of this story, there are several very long threads by people who are thrilled with Wayne and his products.

I am satsified with the Motoport product. If my gear had arrived as ordered and measured per the website, I would have been thrilled and would have been happy with my interaction (several back and forths via email) with Wayne. It didn't and I wasn't. I am under the delusion that something called "customer satisfaction" shoud be in the toolkit of every retailer.

We all agree that Wayne is great to deal with before and during the sale. The issue under discussion is: How is Wayne to deal with if there's a screw-up and/or an unhappy customer? I counted at least four in this thread alone whose experiences were less-than-satisfctory, especially given the prices we're talking about.

So, count yourself fortunate that your gear arrived as ordered but I don't think it's fair to trivialize the pain or belittle the poor guys whose stuff didn't arrive as ordered.

Phil Y screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 01:32 PM
Phil Y is offline   Reply With Quote