User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
GTC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
R100GS rear spring rate

I have looked all over and have not been able to find a shock spring rate calculator for an R100GS. I really like the ride of the stock shock and want to get close to the same spring rate on the next one I get. I am looking at a YSS shock that is set up for 165 pounds but have not been able to compare the spring rates because I can't seem to find the information. Please Help!

Thanks George
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
etj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Bruno of Bruno's Machine & Repair in Canada (who rebuilds R100GS shocks) tells me the stock rate is 7.5kg per mm which is around 420 lbs/in. Using published formulas and running the numbers, I calculate right about that too.

I recently replaced my stock spring with a 600lb spring.
etj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by etj View Post
Bruno of Bruno's Machine & Repair in Canada (who rebuilds R100GS shocks) tells me the stock rate is 7.5kg per mm which is around 420 lbs/in. Using published formulas and running the numbers, I calculate right about that too.

I recently replaced my stock spring with a 600lb spring.
Interested to know why you went with a 600lb spring and how the performance differs from stock? Thanks. Mark
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
etj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100RT Mark View Post
Interested to know why you went with a 600lb spring and how the performance differs from stock? Thanks. Mark
I'm over 200lbs these days, and I have my 135lb wife on the back 75% of the time, and the stock spring was light to begin with. She and I together would bottom out a lot. Bruno suggested the 600lb and said he'd ridden that setup a lot himself. I bought the spring from him. He also provided a short spacer since the new spring is about 1/4 shorter than the one it replaces.

I've only got a few miles on the new setup, all in the rain, so I've not done extensive testing yet. So far I like it. I need to get out for a few hundred miles and really thrash on it.
etj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by etj View Post
I'm over 200lbs these days, and I have my 135lb wife on the back 75% of the time, and the stock spring was light to begin with. She and I together would bottom out a lot. Bruno suggested the 600lb and said he'd ridden that setup a lot himself. I bought the spring from him. He also provided a short spacer since the new spring is about 1/4 shorter than the one it replaces.

I've only got a few miles on the new setup, all in the rain, so I've not done extensive testing yet. So far I like it. I need to get out for a few hundred miles and really thrash on it.
Thanks for the added info. I'm 155 lbs and run solo, so we are coming at the spring rate from different angles. Mark
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote