ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
MAWee OP
Comfortably Noob

Oddometer: 47
Fort Lauderdale to Boston Routing

I apologize for the cross post but thought I may have better luck here than trip planning
I am flying down to bring my bike backover Mem. day weekend. I have 6 days to ride.
I am thinking of stops in Cape Canaveral FL, Savanna GA, Deals Gap NC, Skyline Drive Shenendoah NHP, Gettysburg PA then home. I am used to 3-400 mi days so I think it is doable. Due to the time/distance I won't be able to do much site seeing off the bike but I believe I am hitting the best riding locations.
I am hoping to camp 3 or 4 nights. Can anyone help with good specific routes to take and places to eat and stay or what to avoid?

Thanks,
MAWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
Sounds very doable to me (I've done most of that route at different times). @ 400 miles a day you'll still have half a day left to do whatever or lots of time to stop, take pictures, etc.

I've done deals gap to naples FL in a pretty relaxed day and I've done DC to boston via the catskills without any significant slab time in a day on the DR250.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
Dont miss out on the Cherohala Skyway. I'd suggest Hwy60 from Dahlonega GA to McCaysville GA /Copper Hill TN then 68 to Tellico Plains. Then take the Cherohala ( Hwy 165/143 ) over to the Robbinsville area. I much prefer the run around the North side of Santeelah ( Santeelah Rd / Joyce Kilmer Rd ) to get over to Deals Gap from the Cherohala. From Deals Gap you could run Foothills Parkway over to 321 and into Townshend then Little River Rd over to 441 and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Have to warn you though 441 can be slow going at times due to RV's and such, but the views are incredible. 441 will take you right to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which runs all the say to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah Valley. There are lots of good roads connecting to the Parkway too... just pull up Google Maps and look for squiggly lines leading to and from the BRP.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
MAWee OP
Comfortably Noob

Thanks Wheedle,
I am looking at maps now and calculating miles. Coming to the conclusion that I may have to skip Cherahoula, the Dragon and southern end of BRP. I know, all the best bits. I fly into Ft Laud. Wed 3pm, load bike and hoof it north as far as I can get before dark (hopefully Daytona area).
Ride to Savannah or Charleston Thursday, hopefully with time to walk around see a few things before dinner. I need to be in Carlysle PA for Sunday night and then north of Boston for monday night.

I can't find a way to do get from Charleston, do all the smokies, BRP, and Skyline Drive in two days. I may have to leave the Southern end for another trip
I am leaning towards riding from Charleston to Willville motorcycle campground via fast roads and take the BRP north from there. camp around Waynesboro saturday night.

Not ideal but after my Gulf Coast trip I learned I do not want to roll into a campground after dark set up, sort food to get up and break down camp at dawn. This is supposed to be a fun trip. If I wanted torture I could ride straight up 95 in 3 days.
If any local gurus have better routing sugesstions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
MAWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
You had to cut a couple of days out of the trip? That makes it kinda hard. Anyway, hope you have a good trip.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
MAWee OP
Comfortably Noob

Decided to tack on an extra day.
Day 1: Fly in, Ride from Ft Lauderdale-Palm Beach area
Day 2: Palm Beach - Savannah
Day 3: Savannah - Maggie Valley, NC