User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Headlight Guard/Mirror Extenders

Probably not the most important decision I will ever make regarding the bike but figured I would solicit feedback.

I am looking at the Holan, Hepco and Altrider (Lexan) guards. I like the look of the Altrider one but the Holan and Hepco's are about 1/2 the price so I could pick up some other farkles! Any feedback on metal grate style vs. Lexan and is the pattern of the metal grate very noticable (and/or annoying) when driving?

Also, any thoughts on the Ztechnik vs. SW Motech Mirror Extenders? Again, I like the styling of the Z better but the SW's seem more substantial.
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,651
Guards

I've been looking at one for roost protection. Some I've seen don't seem to come off easily or flip out of the way which makes me wonder how you clean the headlight when it is covered in tons of dried dead bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
Probably not the most important decision I will ever make regarding the bike but figured I would solicit feedback.

I am looking at the Holan, Hepco and Altrider (Lexan) guards. I like the look of the Altrider one but the Holan and Hepco's are about 1/2 the price so I could pick up some other farkles! Any feedback on metal grate style vs. Lexan and is the pattern of the metal grate very noticable (and/or annoying) when driving?

Also, any thoughts on the Ztechnik vs. SW Motech Mirror Extenders? Again, I like the styling of the Z better but the SW's seem more substantial.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The mounting system for the Altrider Lexan one would definitely address your removal for cleaning concern.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I've been looking at one for roost protection. Some I've seen don't seem to come off easily or flip out of the way which makes me wonder how you clean the headlight when it is covered in tons of dried dead bugs.
I have a grill-style headlight guard (I think it's the HB one). There's ample room to get a cloth behind it. I can't see it being a problem unless you have some major sausage fingers.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can only imagine it must project the grill pattern into the lighting pattern, is it noticable enough to be an issue and/or does it disperse the light pattern enough that is makes it less effective?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
Headlight

here's mine, don't remember the brand... HB?

I find the grill pattern projects onto the road enough to be a distraction, but only when it's really dark. I can easily get behind it for cleaning. I don't like the way mine mounts with the shield into the headlight shell. Funny enough I'm pretty sure I'm changing it out for the Altrider shield with the lexan.

you mentioned mirror extenders, I got a pair from Ztecknic with the shield but I don't like them much either. Sometimes you just gotta try stuff to find out what works.

d
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
Dockstrada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post

I made mine so its quick to remove and clean, it was a bit harder with one hand
http://youtu.be/vtntfKOz7dg

Dockstrada screwed with this post 05-11-2011 at 03:04 AM
Dockstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
I have the Ztechnik - the plate is .25" thick and seems plenty beefy enough. I agree they do look much better, although I probably would have kitted it with black buttonhead cap screws instead of the standard profile chrome fasteners but ... hey I gotta have something to pick about ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwooden View Post
i have the ztechnik - the plate is .25" thick and seems plenty beefy enough. I agree they do look much better, although i probably would have kitted it with black buttonhead cap screws instead of the standard profile chrome fasteners but ... Hey i gotta have something to pick about ...
pics?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
FWIW I had the AltRider lexan set-up but felt the quick release system was a weak point - didn't feel secure when tightening - and worried about a failure (although it never did). Sold it and bought a simpler design - the Tourtech grill - for about two thirds the cost. Yes the TT does obscure the light throw a bit but not enough to fret about. And yes, I can get my fingers behind it to clean the lens. YMMV.
DonHS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I have the alt rider one, actually bought DonHS's, Haha. I like it, quick disconnect to clean. It does seem kind of flemsy how the lens is held on, but it works great. Have beat the hell out of the bike and its never came out and has never needed to be fixed or tightened. It's on the expensive side, but if u get lucky u can find one from a fellow inmate for cheap....

Don, let's go ride man.
xxxshiftxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
I have the alt rider one, actually bought DonHS's, Haha. I like it, quick disconnect to clean. It does seem kind of flemsy how the lens is held on, but it works great. Have beat the hell out of the bike and its never came out and has never needed to be fixed or tightened. It's on the expensive side, but if u get lucky u can find one from a fellow inmate for cheap....

Don, let's go ride man.
Ha! Thought I might hear from you on this thread bro. Glad to hear the guard has not given you any problems - I probably over-thought the perceived issue. I'm up for a ride if you don't mind keepin it mellow for an old fart. Will PM you.
DonHS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
I have the Alt rider I love the fact I can remove to clean the guard and the lens. No issues and not really worried about the mount my KTM has the same mount for the skid plate quarter turn screw seam pretty solid.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
randman59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
No mention of the BMW lexan unit. I just bought it, about $100 and it install really easy. The lexan plate pops off for easy cleaning. Is there something wrong with the BMW unit I am not aware of? Is it going to fly off at 100 and take the top of my helmet off?
randman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #15
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,823
anybody have experience with the cee baileys version?
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/f650_800_gs_grds.htm
The price sure matches my budget.

I was trying to find a better picture. Is it just 2 flat pieces that stick on the glass, or is it a complete unit that wraps around the sides of the headlight?