ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
redneckdan OP
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
Action Needed!! Houghton MI

Heard about a new management plan for McLain State Park. One possible option is an ORV trail head that would connect to the Bill Nichols trail. This proposal would utilize an existing forest road that happens to pass through a mountain bike trail area. This forest road already exists and is permissible to ORVs. This plan would help bring much needed tourism to the UP.

The silents sports complex has come out in force against this proposal. The keweenaw hosts some of the best mountain bike trail systems in the untied states. But unfortunately this does not bring much money into the local economy, outside of a few races a year. These trails are mainly utilized by locals. These trail users are very adverse to anyone coming through 'their ' sandbox. I have personally been assaulted by a mountain biker who hit me with a rock because she thought I was on one of 'her' trails. Anyway.

Snowmobiling and ORVs doing bring lots of money into the economy and do so year around. The UP economy needs our support. I copied and pasted this info from an email I received. Please read through and send comments to the email address. I know many of you enjoy riding in the UP. This is your chance to help expand our opportunities and help the local economy.

BEGIN FWD MSGE:

Hi all nature enthusiasts. (Sorry about double posts)
Did you know McLain State Park and the DNR are developing a strategic plan and are in the final stages of solidifying it? The final public comment meeting has already been held, but the company the DNR has hired to develop the plan will be working on finalizing it the beginning of December.

I spoke with the plan manager this morning and since the meeting was sparsely attended and on a snowy night, they are willing to take additional public comments via e-mail until Tuesday, November 25th ---so now is your last chance to let your thoughts be known. Please-let’s get as many responses as we can!

Here is the plan:

http://www.clearzoning.com/wp-conten...McLain-GMP.pdf

or go to

http://www.clearzoning.com/clearzoni...in-state-park/

scroll down and click on “Draft Documents” then click on

“Draft F.J. McLain General Management Plan (10-15-14)”

Here is the part about the ORV trailhead, quoted from the plan:

Developed Recreation Zone
· Pursue acquisition of Coast Guard property and evaluate suitability of Portage Canal for recreational opportunities
· Evaluate opportunity for ORV trail connection to Hancock/Calumet Trail and support facilities at the park

The plan has many good points, so make sure to comment on at least one thing you like in the plan.

The BIG NASTY is the concept of developing an ORV Trailhead at the Coast Guard area. It would be a place where ORV riders would trailer their ORV’s to, unload them, and then travel designated county and township roads(Not M203) to get to the railroad grade going between Hancock and Calumet. Although no specific route is designated in the plan as of yet, the possible routes could include any of the following roads: Bear Lake Rd, Salo Rd, Waasa Rd, Cloverland Rd, Woodland Rd, South Oikarinen Rd, Oikarinen Rd, Rhode Island Rd, and SWEDETOWN TRAILS MAIN ROAD (up the center of the bike trails).

So PLEASE make your thoughts known!!!! E-mail: jensend1@michigan.gov

Here are the points which make it a huge NO to us:

The ORVs will take away from the peaceful, quiet, tranquil, natural atmosphere of the park and surrounding area.

The ORVs will not just travel on the designated route, they will be on McLain beach and property, surrounding beaches, also on the properties of as many privately owned properties along the route.

The increased ORV traffic on the roads will make them dangerous to drive as they will travel various routes not just the designated route.

If the trail goes through Swedetown the increased traffic will cause us to spend more money on mitigating damage to the trails that will occur. It will also cause a significant safety hazard for the mountain bikers.

Jon and I suggested the plan include a “Non-motorized trail” connecting Swedetown ski and bike trails and potentially Churning Rapids trails to McLain. We emphasized “NON-MOTORIZED”

You can comment on this as well.

Send comments to: jensend1@michigan.gov