Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
00 R1150GS How to remove gear sensor cable when removing a transmission

Hi.
Just about to remove the transmission on my 00 R1150GS. The only thing in my way is how to remove the cable for the gear position indicator. The cable passes through a hold in the transmission housing. Ofcourse the sensor will not fit through the hole. Also, the connector at the other end is too large to thread it back down through the frame.

I have heard some cut and splice the cable. I prefer to not do that.

If I raise the battery and ABS housing I could get the cable through but I am a bit wiped out from the work today and was wondering if anyone has found an alternate solution.

Thanks.

g r a n t
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Gintaronas
hobbyist

Oddometer: 188
I somehow managed to move the connector all the way to and through the hole in gearbox housing... And do not remember having difficulties with that at all... YMMV, of course.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Demoni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
So from my readings before I dug into the back end of my 1150 to do the clutch. It seems some of the bikes have a smaller plug that has no problem getting through the hole the wires go through, others have a big ol plug that will not fit.

As luck would have it mine had the bigger plug so I ended up cutting the wires. They are all well color coded so no worries about putting them back together wrong. When I was all done with the clutch it was pretty easy to re-solder the wires all back together. Still worked too
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Everyone.
I definitely have the "big 'ol plug".
The only way I can see to get it out is to unmount the battery / Abs holder.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804
It is a PITA, but can be done with a lot of careful twisting and prying. Or just cut it and splice it back together (I hate doing that).

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
I feel your pain. Getting that cable out has always been the hardest part of pulling the transmission for me with my '02 R1150GS. And I've done it many, many times. I don't ever end up pulling the ABS unit out, although I do remove all of the mounting screws for it and the battery holder. Then fight, wiggle, cuss, push, pull... Eventually I always get it through the frame and out.
Every time I do it I swear I'm gonna cut the wires and add another connector further back, but I never do. And then when I put it back together I think I should not route it the same way, so it isn't so hard to remove next time, but I never do. Life is hard when you are anal.
I have read on the web somewhere that it is possible to remove the individual pins from the plastic connector, but I tried and it looked like I was just gonna mess them up. Supposedly they just snap in, but I could never figure out how to release them without breaking them. So I fight through it every time. What an idiot.

Terry
Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I unpluged mine at the front connection point and worked it back towards the transmision it was a pain, take your time and you can carefully fish it back and out through the hole it does help to have a second pair of hands to help create space hold wire looms and move the battery box enough to clear everything. On reassembly I ran the connection back through the hole but then to the outside of the battery and ABSframe work and zip tied it to the large wire loom so I would not the same issues again if I had to remove the transmision again.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,553
All 1150 plugs are the same size.

Not a problem - Unplug at the junction and pull it through.
Only one tight part, between the battery box and frame. Lever the battery box up slightly with a pry bar and slide the wiring through, the plug can go over the top and then pulls down
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
g r a n t OP
Studly Adventurer

Roger that. Heading to the garage now.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
All 1150 plugs are the same size.

Not a problem - Unplug at the junction and pull it through.
Only one tight part, between the battery box and frame. Lever the battery box up slightly with a pry bar and slide the wiring through, the plug can go over the top and then pulls down
You make it sound so easy. That's what I do, but you left out the cussing and throwing tools across the garage that I find are required steps.

Terry