Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,265
Nice pictures Elvis, glad you got to make SLAP. My son graduated yesterday and we had a party here so I am just starting to get moving this morning. Ugh!
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I did head down Saturday. I did make it almost to Pettigrew. By then my Shoulder was throbbing. From driving the Deuce.5. We come across washed out bridge and headed back. It was more work on the shoulder than I thought.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Here is photo of bridge.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #19
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Very cool Scotty! At least you tried.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Sorry you guys had a such a wet weekend. I spent 6 days in NWA last week and the weather was perfect. We rode almost 900 miles. Loaded up and headed back to Fort Worth in the the truck on Friday morning. It rained hard all the way home.

We bumped into these guys near Turner Bend last Sunday. When I told the the guy in the red kayak I was riding a WR250R said he knew 10Cup. Small world.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Slap 2011 Day 1

Well I started to head out Thursday after work to head to White Rock, and camp in route.
Well of the best laid plans of mice and men. That didn't happen, I was expecting Kevin to come over from Austin and he thought I meant Friday. Well since that didn't happen, I asked the Oldest son, Rocky, if he wanted to go, I asked him before and he said yes then backed out and said no.
Well he changed him mind and I let him skip school Friday to ride to SLAP with me.
Heres the mileage leaving the house.

Its now 9053 miles on it.
So Rock and I left home about 7am and headed towards Hector for gas.

Then here is our two steeds.
My 86 XT350 Utility Bike, next to his 81 DT125. Thats Rocky in the act too.

He is still not sure this whole trip thing in Hector.

From Hector we picked up the TAT and headed for Oark, and a shot on Granny Gap. One thing when your riding with somone on a 125cc chainsaw engine, you keep your speed down so he can keep up.
That little bike is good for 60 to 65mph.
I also made this trip with a handicap, NO front brake, I'm waiting for a new master cylinder to get here in the mail. That changes your whole riding attitude too on the gravel, you brake early with the back and plan EVERYTHING.

You know they was calling for rain sometime Friday, we did great, I also prayed for a little bit of riding weather and keep the storms at bay so we would be safe. We stayed dry till the last 7 miles.
Off Old Hwy 7 on the TAT.

On up to Pilot Rock Mtn, and Rock had to go, then he started wondering what I was doing with the camera out.

My attempt as timed photography. Camera on the ground, 10 second timer, rush back to get in the picture.

More Views from Pilot Rock, it was thundering around us while we was up there.

On the TAT before the Booze Fighters place is this swinging bridge, it was built for an elderly couple that live on that side of the creek so they can get out when it rains.

Rock was not about to walk out on that bridge, plus it starting to rain a little and we wanted to get back in our helmets to keep our heads dry, but the rain didn't last a few minutes and we was good again.

We took off and made it on to Oark for a dinner stop on the TAT.

Your truly and Rock.

Rocky thought I was crazy for taking pictures of FOOD, mmmmm Chili-Cheese Burger.

Rocky opted for cheese Burger and fries, and of course we had some buttermilk pie.

I opted for 215 on to 23 and then FlyGap Road because I knew I could find White Rock from that way. I stopped and called dad from the top and he jinxed us. He said there was rain coming my way and we better hurry. Well we made it the last 7 miles on the rain, wind, thunder and lightning.
Everyone was glad to see us.
I racked up 155 miles to White Rock from the house.
At the lodge.

Gus graciously offered us a spare room in his Cabin,

We got into dry clothes and came back to watch the BS session going on.

You will be hard pressed to find a better view than from White Rock Mtn.
You know the whole pictures thing or it didn't happen right.

ITs the longest trip the DT125 has made for us, it ran like a top the whole way and Rocky is a real trooper, and the gravel never bothered him once.
Stay tuned for the Riding to come on Saturday.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 03:51 PM
Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #22
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Way cool Fish! Glad to see you have a new ADV'r in the family too. Great pictures as well. Hope to meet up with you two one of these years. Right now I'm home nursing a cold and sore throat, my company are getting ready to head back to Chicago so thought I'd take a quick look on the forum and saw your ride report.

Thanks for sharing see ya on the trail,
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Very cool Terry, looks like Rocky will follow in Dad's footsteps and become an adventure rider. As it turns out I couldn't have ridden at SLAP anyway because my bike is still on the fritz. Oh well, as you said "the best laid plans".
Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,286
Really good pictures Terry. It was a pleasure meeting Rocky as well. He is a gem. Especially liked the swinging bridge photo. Always like to hear the history behind these things as well. Makes it all the more interesting. You will have to share with me the location of that when you have the time.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
SLAP 2011 Day 2

Day 2,

WE only covered about 100 miles the second day.
For a two day total of 257 miles.

There was some interest in my route planning Friday night....
Saturday morning, everyone seemed to have other plans so Rocky and I headed out. We rode down to Turner Bend for Gas and batteries for the Camera.
We went past two land slides and a road barrier, but it didn't say closed on end I was coming from.

Oops forgot some pictures and stuff. So rewind a little.
[imghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_My9av4AqK90/TdldE5UD5DI/AAAAAAAAG0k/oJ9Qb4fqYP4/s800/IMG_0469.JPG[/img]
Chewing the fat around the Lodge Table.

this has to be one of the prettiest places anywhere. I love the view from White Rock Mtn.

Guess who again. Relaxing a little at the lodge.

There was a nice gathering of bikes andthose the chickened out because of the Weather you missed a great day of riding Saturday.

You should've seen this fellow, a real trooper, and he got it stuck too.
Yep I got pictures to prove it too.

Theres just something wrong with you if you can't love a machine like this.

Friday night we had grilled burgers and dogs and it was feast fit for a king.
Everything was great and great friends new and old seeing each other visiting and relaying musings of the last year or two.

Gus shows us the proper way to have a Dog Burger.

Okay fast forward to where I left off.
It was a foggy morning on the mountain but it didn't take long and we was under it making miles.

A little water was leaving the Ozarks as fast as possible.

The batteries was going dead in my camera so I didn't see this shot looked this bad. But there is a water fall in there.

While at Turner Bend the girl says your going to be a Facebook star, so I took her picture too, you all don't care about faces anyway so I got what was important.

Rocky the Trooper always ready to go in a moments notice.

So we rode 23 north to E. FlyGap Road. Travis aka Mossy Creek was leading a group that way to Oark from White rock and he was on a four wheeler.
Remember the land Slide that closed PigTrail here is the view from the repair job the state did.

On E. Fly Gap we found the repair site of an old slide area. Some HUGE rocks up there and Rock had to go climb one.

Trusty Steeds, they both performed flawlessly and did all we asked of them.

Rock and I was stopped looking at side route I have marked on the GPS pondering it going through an old shale pit. When here comes Travis on the quad leading a rag tag fleet of the last survivors.... Oops that not this show.
Mossy did show up leading his group to Oark, So we decided to tag along.

OhOh Houston we have an issue, not a mile later we find this....

LANDSLIDE.....

I detoured back to do a little exploring of the alternate route, it was nasty to say the least, slimy shale, then that road looks like a baby head rock garden.
So I turned around and headed back to report to Travis that it was not going to be pretty with this crew.
They was already going across the slide and the mud.
Then came the Urals turn.

See that gap he straddling, that is deep and part of the slide.

Hmm, lets try backward, but he can't because the exhaust is plugging up. So it has to come forward but how?

Some good folks on quads and a Razor was kind enough to help out.

Stretch the Cable out and hook it up....

People had their doubts the cable was stout enough so they moved to avoid whiplash.

Its moving.....

And its free can you tell he is a happy rider?

About the time I snapped this one, we had a VStrom in our group go down, no that is not what he is happy about, he is happy to get up that blasted rocky worn out hill climb.

Yep he is out there on a Suzuki GS550 and he did a fantastic job. I didn't see him drop it once.
We finally made it to Oark, it was about 50 miles.

The fellow on the left is our V-Strom Rider, he had a tough day on that machine, it was battle scared with signals dangling and various other issues.
Then he took a nose dive in the mud later that bruised his shoulder. Wish I could remember names but get well soon, he said he will return next year on a WE250 or DRZ400.

our lovely waitress with a great personality.

Our rag tag band of misfits.

Then what is a trip to Oark without food.

The Special of the day, pulled pork.

I tried the Mushroom Swiss Chicken it was great too.

I asked Rock what he wanted to do and he was ready to had back to camp.
So I told the other others we was heading back, and I gained a crowd. I expected the GS550 but we ended up being a group all the way back to WR.

I looked in the mirror and it looked like a parade.
Travis on the ATV had to take the dirt roads back, his boy wasn't real happy about that.

At the Pigtrail and 215 I asked what route they wanted, I got they didn't care. So I went north to Fly Gap. No one bothered to tell me there was an issue.

Tree down, seems they went on to explain that they worked 45 minutes to cut away enough to get through here the first time. They was not pleased to see the same tree again.

After some grunting and pulling and rock moving we get the Ural through without as much clutch smell as the landslide. Then we got the V-Strom and the GS550 through too. It was along here that our V-Strom took a shoulder dive. I didn't get pixs because I seen it happen in the mirror and went to help right the machine and make sure he was alright.

Without issue we all made it back to the Lodge and called it a day.
I cheated and opted to ride back this way with Gus instead of riding, I didn't sleep well up there and I was exhausted even this morning from not sleeping good. This made Rocky happy too.

Loaded up and ready to head for the house this morning.....

Many Thanks to everyone that made it possible, and a special thanks to Gus, aka Dragon43 for being such a great friend....
Rock says he is going next year too.

PS I added GPX track of the route we rode the two days, those with limited units will have to hack it down to the 500 point mark.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx SLAP2011Clean.gpx (757.1 KB, 44 views)

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Thank you for running over the tree and squishing enough for my Ranger. My GPS took me down that road in route to Fly Gap I think it was in route to 23. When I got to that tree I was to far along to back all the way to a spot I could turn around, so 4WD low range and I was over the tree and didn't even break a beer bottle in cooler driving that so call road. That is the last time I trust a German GPS in the Ozarks. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks for the great ride O'leary. I had a great time.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,286
SLAP Day 2 Oleary

Saturday morning we gather about 7:30am to ride the route I posted. L to R is me, Drunk Uncle, Bell47pilot, Neonguy95, TheToyman, DRZAddict, Njoytheride, hrdrckcllmr, and Andy (A SAPPER). Two not pictured that were in the original group were NNichols, and his dad, Riderat. I say the original group because we picked up a straggler on the way back to make an even dozen.

It was cool and foggy on the mountain but once we started down it cleared up right away. I commence to take a wrong turn right off the bat, we don't get a couple of miles and I realize I have the wrong route loaded or something and I stop to turn around and Drunk Uncle has a flat. So we stop to fix that. Fixing a flat is not as easy as you would think when you have six people standing over your shoulder telling what you should do next.

Once repaired we are back on the road back to where we should have turned at the road closure. First stop is at Hurricane Creek to take pictures.

We ride on up Hurricane Creek road and thru Frog Bayou to Winslow where we stop at Mikeys One Stop and get fuel as some needed to top off. Then we head on down Bunyard Road across Bobby Hopper tunnel and come up on our first low water bridge of the day at Cove Creek at the end of Pierson Rd. We even had a couple of spotters there to assist us. Water was pretty deep but everyone made it with no problem.

Once we were all across we turn south down Cove Creek Rd. After a couple of miles we realize we are not all there. So we stop and wait for about 20 minutes. Craig goes back to see what the story is. We were missing DRZAddict and Bill who was riding sweep. It seems DRZAddict thought the crossing was so much fun that he went back across it and then missed the turn south and Bill was trying to chase him down. We finally all get hooked back up again and ride on. Cove Creek was running pretty good. Riderat said that he had kayaked this creek on occasion in the past. That is something I would like to try. Riderat was good enough to give me a few pointers.

Then we arrive at Natural Dam for lunch. Burgers were outstanding as usual. After lunch we pop over to the dam for a few pics. Craig and I park on this side and everyone else parks on the other side. I thought you were supposed to follow your leader.

There we are off down Hwy 59 almost to Cedarville where we eventually end up on White Water Road. I had seen this flat rock ledge in the past but never had ridden out on it. Several of us did and took it down a ways and jumped back up on the road from the rock ledge. Andy (A SAPPER) went the farthest down I guess he was about knee deep in water when he finally got back up on the road. I followed hrdrckclmr and took this little cutout next to this corrugated pipe. Man it was slipperyer than snot in here.

Stopped on the Clear Creek bridge at Chester to get a couple of pictures.

We press on but no more pics. We come up to Old Locke Rd on our route and some of the guys see the Warloop Rd sign and say they want to ride that. Bill had a rear sprocket that was about to go so he and I wait there under a shade tree and wait for their return. While we were sitting there a fellow from LR that got separated from his group came along and joined us. Shortly the group returned and off we went. We were only about 2/3's of the way thru our route but it was about 3pm and we would have never have completed the rest of the ride and made it back for supper so we decided to head back to WRM. On the way up the mountain Neonguy blew by me when I stopped to ask a couple of young guys if the road was open then the race was on. I rode hard for several miles trying to catch up to Neonguy then Dan comes blowing by me and then Drunk Uncle does the same with a shower of rocks for good measure. No respect! No respect! We all had a good laugh about it all later. These are the Yahoos commiseratin on how they did me. L to R Neonguy, A SAPPER, Drunk Uncle, and DRZAddict.

When we get back we find out the Elvis is in the area.

It was good to finally meet you Elvis. Good to put a face to your name and posts. Thanks for sharing the pics of your helo and platform with me. Quite a deal.

Doc and his new found friend. Young goat meets old goat.

And goats aplenty.

More pics of the gang and the festivities after supper.

Ms. Paula catered the supper and it was some pretty good stew. After all the door prizes were awarded and all I went back to the campsite to help Neonguy load his bike on his pickup and he was to help me with mine. Once we got the bikes loaded I thought man in a couple of hours I could be home in my own bed so I slipped out in the dark of night. Should have gone back and bid my ado but I hate that part so off I went. See you all next year I hope. Thanks to Doc and Charlie and Gus and Bill and Travis and Tim and all those who helped make this event happen. Thanks to DirtyDog for the tshirts and the design. That is an awesome design. Thats it for me. I'd like to hear everyone elses side of the story so post up with pictures and comments.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 10:11 PM
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
Oleary,

In your RR, Dan is really Andy ( A Sapper ). Other than that RR is right on. Had a blast with you guys and thank you for leading. I am quite positive had it not been for you keeping us under control all day we would have hurt one ourselves. However the last 4 miles was a BLAST. The race back to the lodge was the highlight of the trip for me. Oh and I don't think it was lack of respect as much as it was testosterone overload.
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,826
The picture is a link, just click it to go to the album and look at the pictures you want....

Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
I arrived way too early on Thrusday so I took a solo trip to Mulberry and took in the Boston Mountains.

These two shots are of the Mulberry River, after speaking to a local the river gets it color from the natural feed springs.

Friday was a wet and rainy day and I did not take very many pictures. We left out with a group of riders unsure of where we were going, but with a strong desire to ride. We were on the trai for about 30 minutes before hitting a large thunderstorm full of lightniing and hail. While bad enough on it's own we also found ourselves on a mud trail. The smaller bikes seemed to do ok, but Metal or Leather had some trouble with his V-Strom. Going down several times and breaking every turn signal. Followed by a dead battery in a down pour.

After sending some riders for help we finally got the 650 started off of a Wr250r. We headed to Turners Bend to mend our spirits and fill our tanks. Upon arrival we found part of our rescue part was mending bikes now as well. A KLR650 with loose mounting brackets and a Honda 650 with a hole in the case from a getting off earlier. The gear lever bent and smashed a decent sized hole in the case. Liquid Steel and Locktite to the rescue.

Andy's mud covered gear from a get off that didn't happen

The party split again with four of us making our way to Oark and the others headed to camp. Strom died again and Gus was the hero this time.

Bell47Pilot - Mike, Drunk Uncle ( and I never got your name, ), A Sapper - Andy and myself headed for Oark.

With lunch in our bellies we made our way back to camp. Head of yet another rain storm.

The following morning Oleary offered to lead a ride and I joined his party.

His ride report summed it up so I will leave you with some pictures that I took. Thanks again Tim (Oleary) I had a blast with you and this won't be the last time we ride together. Thanks for keeping Andy and myself under control until we finally broke loose!

Drunk Uncle's flat repair. So many hands in there!

Oh and Doc's (DrLewall) new name Goobersmooch

Thanks for putting this together. I know it is hard work and you did an awesome job!!

Thank you to all that introduced yourselfs and I shortly forgot your names. Did not meet an unfriendly handshake. For those with injuries I hope you heal quickly.

Rusty
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote