Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #76
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,805
There is! In MAR-APR is the Hillbilly run out of Eureka Springs, and then there is the SLAP..so c'mon!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #77
JasonK94Z
Crash Tester

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
There is! In MAR-APR is the Hillbilly run out of Eureka Springs, and then there is the SLAP..so c'mon!
Need a big one in August or September!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #78
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
We will do the Arkansas 500 again next year. www.arkansas500.com
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #79
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK94Z View Post
Need a big one in August or September!
End of SEP..BBBQ
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #80
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
As HB and DRZaddict pointed out, Friday was a rainy ass, painful day. HB and I were soaked to the bone by 8:30am and I didn't get back to my house until 8:30pm. I am just now starting to get the feeling back in my hands and feet. Ouch.

Once HB and I arrived at WR, we hooked up with DRZaddict and a pair of KTM 525s and a Husky from TX. These were some serious dirt bikes with LOTS of expensive farkels. We left the lodge and made it almost 100 feet before one of the KTMs broke a chain. 30 minutes later we were off and made it about 10 miles before the KTMs started to die. We spent several hours trying to get KTMs and the Husly started. The KTMs can't sit and idle, they over heat in about 2 minutes, no lie, 2 minutes tops. They took FOREVER to get started, so it was a HUGE challenge getting all 3 "dirt bikes" running at the same time. There was a suspicion they had all gotten bad gas.

Of course the WR250R never missed a beat. The only problems the WR had were when the rider fell off. This trip was another assurance that I made the right decision when I sold my "Dirt Bike" and bought a "Street Bike". The WR has proven to be the most reliable bike on the trail. it has also proven time and time again that it is more than capable of keeping up with orange dirt bikes that cost twice as much money, and rarely have I found anyone on an orange bike that was capable of keeping up with the mighty "street bike". Even with thousands of dollars in farkles added to the "dirt bikes", they still can't keep the WR in sight. Anyone that would like to prove me wrong is invited to try anytime

(this invitation is NOT open to the 2 guys HF introduced me to on 525s in 2009. Wish I could remember their names.)

The TX guys were serious dirt riders. I have no doubt they could have left me in the dust had they also been riding WR250Rs. Plus they would have saved lots of money, not to mention the amount of energy they spent trying to kick start those orange bikes. The weather was painful enough, I can't imagine spending hours trying to kick start a 500+cc 4-stroke on a day like that....

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #81
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,374
Looks like fun was had in spite of the slop great pics
Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #82
DrLewall OP
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Looks like fun was had in spite of the slop great pics
yeah..the guys renamed SLAP to SLOP
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #83
rjharris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Sweeeeet video Boogn1sh!

I am still having nightmares about potentially never getting out of those woods on Friday I am waking up in the middle of the night and my right leg is kicking, trying to start one of those KTM's One correction, that wasn't a stinking Husky, that was a Huuuuusssssssaaaaberg! I have one just like it but thought I woud leave it at home and ride the WR and simplify things. I think it did okay until it was put into service, trying to jump start those KTM's. By the way, I hope hb was able to recharge his battery on his BMW on the way home
rjharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #84
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to share your experiences and photos of this year's SLAP.

Got a couple of questions:

scotty69:

Is the Arkansas 500 the same as the Hillbilly ride out of ES?

boogn1sh:

I always enjoy your videos. Don't you have some on Vimeo? I recall linking to some from a different forum that were very similar to yours. I'm confident your are one and the same? IF I'm correct, would you mind sharing the link (I can't find it) to your Vimeo vids? I would like to view some of them again.

Also: Your videos have helped to convince me that my next bike should be a WR250R.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #85
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
Thanks Vinduroman! Yes, I do have some vids on vimeo also. I like vimeo's user interface and mellow design better than you tube, but YT has better compatibility...
I'll post a link when I get home...

Sent from my ADR6300

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #86
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Wow I just got caught up with this thread. Quite different than my trip up last year, had to miss this year. But I see some familiar faces here that made it again, good for yall ! Especially riding dirt in all that rain ! Wow!

I sure want to make another trip to ride the hills, will watch for future gatherings. But drier conditions! Lol

Mark
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #87
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK94Z View Post
Thanks to everyone who put on this ride. I really enjoyed it! I wish there was a big event like this twice a year, because I'd definitely be there for both!
Becareful what you wish for.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #88
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,046
Well the low tech XR650R went everywhere it was pointed & did not mind 25 miles of downpour on Friday even tho my shorts felt like a stream was flowing through them.

There is the Fall Color Tour non event at Clarksville in the fall. Ride North to Turner Bend area one day then South to Mt Magazine & the OHV area the next. The rivers are a lot lower in the fall!!
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report

Trl Rdr screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 08:36 PM
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #89
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,380
Slap 2011

Great video Mr. Boog. Looks like that WRR can go anywhere, anytime, all the time. Good for you. I'd like you to take me out on the Bunny Trails some time. That looked like fun. The rock climbing in the creeks not so much. Dry conditions would be better. Oh, I'm such a Wooooosy!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #90
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 856
fall ride

That sounds like fun, I have a thought on location. Lake Ft. Smith park has two lodges and a kitchen/dining area for rent. was like $300.00 per night per lodge that sleeps ?? (20) and has a small kitchen and a hugh central room. A place with full hock ups for RV's. check it out on line under Arkansas State parks. It is isolated and a basketball court. just a few miles to dirt east or west.
Thanks for all the extra pics and video. I really liking the WR's... Njoytheride
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote