User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Best Folding Saw?

In the past, I've hit the backroads with a quad, always took my Stihl 026 with me for clearing downed trees and firewood at camp. Well...this just isn't looking real practical on the DR. What's the best option for a folding saw? I'd like something big enough to handle up to say a 12" dia tree across the trail (yeah, no fun, but that's life in the forest). Also would use it on smaller limbs/trees for firewood. I've used the Wyoming bow saws for hunting, but they are a bit limited in capacity due to the bow for this use. Any recommendations?
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
SpannerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I don't know about folding saws but I've hear good things about these saws
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
CharlieP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Those are pretty sweet !
CharlieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,150
My buddy swears by this http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Gerber

Definitely the Gerber folding saw.

Super light (plastic handle), inexpensive, durable and will cut down a redwood (but please don't).

The one in the photos isn't the one I have (mine is a bit older, and still works great).
Attached Images

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV

Dan Diego screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 12:12 PM
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
My buddy swears by this http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/

Has he actually used it? I bought one based on the rave reviews here and don't remember the last time I was so dissapointed. It doesn't cut worth shit on dry or wet softwood in my yard. The little video on their site looks like a dry rotted punky dead standing tree that by the amount of wiggle could have been pushed over easier.

I second the folding saw type like the gerber shown, I have some offshore $9 rig I've been using for 6 or 7 years and it's awesome. I don't think the brand matters but that style of tooth, whatever it's called works well in this application.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Has he actually used it? I bought one based on the rave reviews here and don't remember the last time I was so dissapointed. It doesn't cut worth shit on dry or wet softwood in my yard. The little video on their site looks like a dry rotted punky dead standing tree that by the amount of wiggle could have been pushed over easier.

I second the folding saw type like the gerber shown, I have some offshore $9 rig I've been using for 6 or 7 years and it's awesome. I don't think the brand matters but that style of tooth, whatever it's called works well in this application.
He loves it, but I have to say I am not sure that this is the brand he uses. I will ask him next time I see him. He is a ranger at Mohonk Preserve and is in the woods a lot and trimming, etc. We both carry a folding saw, but he said for the big stuff his pocket chainsaw rules.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post

+1! Folding saw over pocketchain saw every time for me. The pocket chain saw needs two people to work and even then only works well in some situations. I laughed when I saw that demo vid; the bark was holding that "tree" up.
Some of the folding saws I bought needed to have the "set" of the teeth tuned up a bit otherwise the kerf was too narrow causing the saw to bind.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Definitely the Gerber folding saw.
agreed....up to 4 or maybe 6 inch...but 12"?...find a way around

I have about 6 of these scattered on different vehicles...they have saved the day...use one every year when I am hunting those wiley christmas trees

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I've used the Sven Saw for 30 years camping but I really prefer the buck saw above. The Sven works fine but if you get on bigger wood the back precludes making a one pass cut. The sven works great on 6" diameter wood.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Can't seem find them anymore but I had a Sears one that had thick, broad offset teeth just like a chain saw and a wooden handle. 1 to 2 minute job to go through a christmas tree.

Update: Sears Craftsman 10 in. Folding Pruning Saw
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
If you want to go light and the diameter is 12", maybe a stick of dynamite might work. You can set it off with a long wire and your bike battery.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Sawvivor!

Hey Renegade,

If you click on the link that is on the #2 post, you'll get on a site for Trail Blazer Products. These guys have a product called a "sawvivor". May have to search around their site to find it, because they have all kinds of other products. (Probably should google it anyway just to get to some retailers and some prices.)

Anyway, this thing is a tool, not a toy. It is seriously strong, very light and well engineered. I've got the 18" model and it fits in my panniers, weighs something like 10 ozs., and the sharp-ass little swiss steel blade stows securely in the handle! Once you use it you may start leaving the chainsaw at home. Folds down to 1" x 3" x 18" too. The only limiting factor of this tool is the throat depth -- it is 5", so you'd have to go at that 12" log from both sides ---- and still break it in the middle.

The little pocket saws and folding saws mentioned previously won't hold a candle to this thing. Give it a look. Good luck and hope this helps. I own one so if you have any specific questions, pm me. HAPPY SAWING!!!

Regards, Rob
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,607
I like the one on the victorinox trekker knife. If it can saw through a steel fender that was bashed in my a car it will work great for all your firewood making needs.

Also, sears has a craftsman folding saw for like $5 that looks just like that gerber above.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
If you can't find one here, they don't make it. Great place http://karlkuemmerling.com/store/page20.html

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote