User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Winterizing the Madstad

I've had the Madstad on now for 6 months and 8,000 miles. It's working great and shows no signs of wear. Just returned from a 2,000 mile trip up to Tennessee where the morning temperatures were close to freezing and it it was sure good to have that thing blocking the arctic blast. With the shield set high, my Gerbings liner and gloves, and the engine warming my feet and legs, I was actually quite comfortable.

He is now shipping it with the "winglets", or lower deflectors that extend the shield down and help divert the wind that comes from under the shield and hits you in the chest. I modified mine for the winter by bolting on some clear plastic extender plates so now there is no direct air flow hitting me anywhere except on the legs and exposed arms. I was running at 75 mph for long stretches with one hand on the bars, face shield up and listening to tunes from the ipod.

Next project is some bolt on extenders for the OEM hand guards
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
I'll throw in my vote for the Madstad.

I now know what relative peace and quiet can be like on a motorcycle. I don't think I can ever be without good laminar-effect windscreen going forward. Perhaps it's an over-50, ease-into-the-touring-bike thing , but I'll be choosing sanity over vanity from now on.

Been riding for 35 years and never had a proper windscreen - just small quarter cafes, sport bike, and dual sport postage stamps. All have made me more than happy to revert back naked bikes. I've also had a Laminar Lip on a R1100S and I have the Adjustable Screen Mechanism for the standard T800 screen - both did little to nothing, IMHO.

Giving the huge range of adjustability of this screen, it's really hard to go wrong, except if you can't stomach the price or the looks, I guess.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
did you consider the 3 other shield colors in tint?
all of mark's shields are avail. in all 4 colors.
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.888/.f

are those the optional side wings and how do they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I'll throw in my vote for the Madstad.

I now know what relative peace and quiet can be like on a motorcycle. I don't think I can ever be without good laminar-effect windscreen going forward. Perhaps it's an over-50, ease-into-the-touring-bike thing , but I'll be choosing sanity over vanity from now on.

Been riding for 35 years and never had a proper windscreen - just small quarter cafes, sport bike, and dual sport postage stamps. All have made me more than happy to revert back naked bikes. I've also had a Laminar Lip on a R1100S and I have the Adjustable Screen Mechanism for the standard T800 screen - both did little to nothing, IMHO.

Giving the huge range of adjustability of this screen, it's really hard to go wrong, except if you can't stomach the price or the looks, I guess.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
did you consider the 3 other shield colors in tint?
all of mark's shields are avail. in all 4 colors.
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.888/.f
I have tried all of those tints on other bikes and the light gray is by far my favorite. It's barely noticable but It cuts road glare and you can see through it in all conditions. The darker tints look good but block a lot of your view of the road out especially at night.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Can someone post some clear pictures/dimensions of the madstad brackets ONLY? I have some from an old bike. I'm wondering if they're the same.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Can someone post some clear pictures/dimensions of the madstad brackets ONLY? I have some from an old bike. I'm wondering if they're the same.

Far as I know, he uses the same adjustor bracket on all his systems with the exception on the vee strom which has some knobs instead of bolts for adjustments. It could have evolved over the years however. You could shoot him an email and find out for sure.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I have tried all of those tints on other bikes and the light gray is by far my favorite. It's barely noticable but It cuts road glare and you can see through it in all conditions. The darker tints look good but block a lot of your view of the road out especially at night.
so you look through your screens?
his system is designed to look over then and if you're looking down enough to see through them to the road, you're dangerously not looking ahead, but rather the road right in front of you.
am i missing something with his setup? it's not a barn door look through system.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Far as I know, he uses the same adjustor bracket on all his systems with the exception on the vee strom which has some knobs instead of bolts for adjustments. It could have evolved over the years however. You could shoot him an email and find out for sure.
this system is using his universal robo-brackets.

he has a vstrom specific mount and a modified vstrom system on the versys but all the rest are robo-brackets.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

It may not look it the above pix, but my screen is the light gray, I think Mark said 20%.... and yes, those are the side wings, he includes them with the screen at no extra charge. I haven't ridden with them off yet, but I've read others say they've tried it both ways and prefer them on. I'll probably take the screen and wings off in the summer though, and just ride with the baseplate as a flyscreen.

Agree with being able look through the screen..... not for normal riding, but sometimes on the slab at high speed, I like to tuck down and look through the screen. Otherwise, my screen is set so that I can see the pavement over the screen about one car length front of me in my normal riding position and the wind blast goes over my head.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #25
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so you look through your screens?
his system is designed to look over then and if you're looking down enough to see through them to the road, you're dangerously not looking ahead, but rather the road right in front of you.
am i missing something with his setup? it's not a barn door look through system.
I look over the screen. Mine is set at mouth level in the winter, little lower in Summer almost exactly as in Snapper's photo..

But I still like to see everything out in front of me and a dark screen creates a blind spot particularly if going slow or stopped. Doesn't help that I wear a light tint face shield.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 05:46 AM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #26
TAMPAJIM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RAM mount

Snapper, looking at your pic, I bolted a flat mount RAM base to the black flyscreen where the Madstad label is. With that you can place the GPS directly above the instrument cluster for a more direct view and easy access. Worked great on recent 2,000 mile trip.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #27
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah I was considering doing that for the GPS and radar detector, but now think the extra weight, possibly bouncing along on rough roads and levered pretty far from the mounting points, might not be such a good thing. After all, there are only three points and they are ultimately bedded in plastic.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #28
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Givi Screen Update

I have the Givi Screen (below). I hate it! I am 5' 11" and have my seat in the High position. The screen throws spoiled air right at the top of my head and gives me the worst head shake ever above 60 mph. I am taking it off tonight and putting the stock screen back on. I tried everything I could to make it work. It may work for some but for me its a no go.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #29
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Snapper, looking at your pic, I bolted a flat mount RAM base to the black flyscreen where the Madstad label is. With that you can place the GPS directly above the instrument cluster for a more direct view and easy access. Worked great on recent 2,000 mile trip.

Pics???
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
I had the CalSci short on for a few hundred miles and although it was a little smoother and quieter than the stocker I just like the looks better with the stock shield.
Also had a MRA spoiler on the stock screen that worked well also, may use it again in the future.

This is the best photo I have of the spoiler

Jerry
Jerry - is that the T800 specific-version of the MRA screen ? If not do you have a part number perhaps (their site lists lots of options).

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote