Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Twisted Throttle Denali "D2" LED Lights now on sale

Hi All.

There was some interest in our (Twisted Throttle's) revised Denali D2 LED Auxiliary Lights. Well.... We just got the delivery confirmation for tomorrow Friday, May 13th (2011)! We have held off on pre-sales and wanted to let you guys who have called know they are available.

As you can tell these are round pods. We heard from our customers that the squre pods were nice but a bit too angular for motorcycles. We listened - hence the round pods.

The Denali D2s draw less than one amp per pod and have 70% more "Luminous Flux" (aka visible brightness) than our Denali "D1s". This is achieved with "Prime Drive Technology". This The Prime Drive increases the efficiency of the light emitting diode while maintaining the lowest possible amp draw. Incorporated in this revision is a bunch more technology including Electronic Thermal Management, Pulse Width Modulation, and the optics have been improved to 90% efficiency for added distance and accuracy. It is safe to say that these lights are going to kick some serious ass. I'm thinking these may be the precursor to a true Light Saber. Since we intentionally designed the D2 lights to work with our existing Denali D1 mounting hardware we have a bike-specific range of mounting solutions already figured out for most of the popular and some obscure bikes too. Look at the application Chart on the product page for mounting notes: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6158

Like the D1 Kit the D2 Kit has everything you need to wire up and install the lights including:[/b]
  • 2 x Denali D2 LED light pods
  • Wiring Harness with Dimmer Module, Relay and Lighted Switch
  • 2 x universal M10 mounting brackets
  • 2 x multi-link connectors[/li]
  • 2 x 'Euro' driving beam lenses (20 degree beam pattern)
  • 2 x fog beam lenses (40 degree beam pattern)
  • Installation instructions

PRODUCT PAGE : Denali D2 LED Lighting 2-Light Kit with Full Wiring Harness and M10 Mount

I don't have a lot of pictures or any video of the D2s. Everything up until this point has been unfinished samples and not appropriate for photography or motion stuff. I will have them in my hands by mid-day tomorrow (Friday May 13, 2011) and I will get as much eye candy up as quickly as possible.

Kev
Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
How many lumens? I'm certainly no light guru but lumens are a number that other sellers throw out & would like to compare.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
How many lumens? I'm certainly no light guru but lumens are a number that other sellers throw out & would like to compare.
What I can tell you is that the D1 produces 900 lumens and that the updated D2s has 70% more perceived light. I have some tests from an independent lab of the D1s and D2s and the distance and intensity values comparatively are incredibly different.

I will get a better answer for you shortly.

twistedthrottle screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 02:39 PM
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
5cats
just jd.

Oddometer: 74
dimmable options

Figures: my D1 kit literally showed up yesterday.
Guess I'll put it up for sale, but first...

The product description includes, "the light is dimmable with the use of a separate controller to allow for optimum flexibility"

Is this dimmer module included in the kit what looks to be a mountable switch in the picture?
Can you make the install instructions available online?

On wiring:
I understand one possible (default?) wiring option is to have the D2s switched "on" with the bike's accessory circuit (or parking light), and use a sense wire to the bike's high beam to auto-toggle full power to the D2s. But it looks like the kit comes with a nifty red/green-light-indicated on/off wired switch, so I imagine that's there as an option to manually toggle the high/low D2 output?

I'm really interested in a manual 3-mode switch:
  • OFF -- regardless of the bike's accessory
  • ON/LOW -- independent of the bike's high/low beam setting
  • ON/HIGH -- independent of the bike's high/low beam setting
Can you recommend a suitable switch for that, if the supplied one can't do the trick?

I already have a switched power source available using a fuzeblock FZ1; what might the wiring configuration be in this case?
It looks like the kit includes some short wiring harness parts that plug into the D2 and terminate with bare wire after maybe 12 inches. How are they used?

Cheers,
-jd.

5cats screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 10:54 AM Reason: dimmer module: is it (the) switch pictured?
5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Adjustable Field of View...

Interesting that you have used the lens to control the illumination field....typically that's done using the reflector.

Any ADV discount or group buy oppt'y? I'm looking to add lighting to two different cycles.
Cheddarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Guess I'll put it up for sale, but first...

The product description includes, "the light is dimmable with the use of a separate controller to allow for optimum flexibility"

Is this dimmer module included in the kit what looks to be a mountable switch in the picture?
Can you make the install instructions available online?

On wiring:
I understand one possible (default?) wiring option is to have the D2s switched "on" with the bike's accessory circuit (or parking light), and use a sense wire to the bike's high beam to auto-toggle full power to the D2s. But it looks like the kit comes with a nifty red/green-light-indicated on/off wired switch, so I imagine that's there as an option to manually toggle the high/low D2 output?

I'm really interested in a manual 3-mode switch:
  • OFF -- regardless of the bike's accessory
  • ON/LOW -- independent of the bike's high/low beam setting
  • ON/HIGH -- independent of the bike's high/low beam setting
Can you recommend a suitable switch for that, if the supplied one can't do the trick?

I already have a switched power source available using a fuzeblock FZ1; what might the wiring configuration be in this case?
It looks like the kit includes some short wiring harness parts that plug into the D2 and terminate with bare wire after maybe 12 inches. How are they used?

Cheers,
-jd.
A lot of good questions here jd.

Let me explain the term "Dimmer" - many people may assume this refers to a dial that allows you to infinitely control the brightness along the 0 to 100% power range. It is actually not what dimmer means in this case. I think you understand this but I want to clear it up for everyone else. A better term would be "Control" box. These lights are best described as Dual Density effectively High and Low beams.

Here are the instructions for you to download for reference: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filem...download/3172/ Please refer to page 3 and 4 for the meat of what I will discuss.

At this stage in the game we have offered you two wiring options:
  1. Standard Dual Density - (high and low beams): In this wiring configuration, Denali D2 lights will function perfectly in sync with your original headlight. The D2 low beam (40% intensity) will come on when your motorcycle is turned on, and the D2 high beam (100% intensity) will come on when you switch your high beams on. To turn the D2 light system off entirely, simply press the lighted on/off switch.

2. Full Intensity - (no low beam): In this wiring configuration, Denali D2 lights will function at 100% intensity (high beam) independent of your motorcycles original headlight. The integrated switch will allow you to turn
    your D2 lights on and off at 100% intensity only.

There are 4 total wires to wrangle with one to the Negative and one to the positive lead on your battery (or fuse block - if installed). The other two wires are blue and white. The images above were pulled from the downloadable PDF and can be seen much better there.

I am sure I didn't answer all of your questions but I hope this info helps. Fire a few more at me. This is great information for everyone else.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Interesting that you have used the lens to control the illumination field....typically that's done using the reflector.

Any ADV discount or group buy oppt'y? I'm looking to add lighting to two different cycles.
We do have a standing group buy policy. It requires a "ring leader". Since you want them for two bikes it might be worth your time to do this. Take a look at it on the bottom of this page: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/79 If you're interested call our Customer Service department and they will coordinate with you. 401-284-4200

Kev
Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
5cats
just jd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
A lot of good questions[...]
Kevin
Thanks for the good info, Kevin.

I looked over the install pdf and found this smallprint:
Quote:
"additional wiring options are possible. Visit twistedthrottle.com/denalid2 to view an installation tutorial."
Please post when it's available !

It looks like the control box has a relay built in, along with some other PWM driver bits plus the switch logic; I like to figure out how to use my existing switched power source with integrated relay (fuzeblock.com) to trim some bulk from the D2 harness. Maybe that will be evident from the install tutorial... running out of room to stash little boxes everywhere !

The instructions show a 20A fuse from battery to control box: really? I'm thinking a 5A fuze is ample, unless the control box is also a heater?

Group buy: don't think I can wait much longer to get these installed; would twistedthrottle take a trade-in on still-in-box D1 kit?

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Nice set up, but I want to run off my 10 amp aux circuit and see one reason to have a 20 amp unless some type of inrush power draw happens with this system.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:

Actually, using a lens is really common these days
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Volta
Fuck Cancer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
I've also got a couple bikes to add lights to, count me in if a group buy happens.
Volta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
You and me both

I haven't installed mine yet. They are sitting on my dining room table.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the good info, Kevin.

I looked over the install pdf and found this smallprint:

Please post when it's available !

It looks like the control box has a relay built in, along with some other PWM driver bits plus the switch logic; I like to figure out how to use my existing switched power source with integrated relay (fuzeblock.com) to trim some bulk from the D2 harness. Maybe that will be evident from the install tutorial... running out of room to stash little boxes everywhere !

The instructions show a 20A fuse from battery to control box: really? I'm thinking a 5A fuze is ample, unless the control box is also a heater?

Group buy: don't think I can wait much longer to get these installed; would twistedthrottle take a trade-in on still-in-box D1 kit?

Cheers,
-jd.
To install this with the Fuzeblock you would just snip the connectors off of the positive (along with the fuse) and negative lead on the existing D2 wiring harness and plug them into the Fuzeblock. Then add a 20a mini blade fuse and you are cooking with gas. I do not believe that this control box is a heater as well. Apparently you have an extensive electrical/lighting background. Are you by chance a manufacturer?

As for swapping out the lights. Not sure what our policy is on this what you can do is call our Customer Service line and they will be able to help you. 401-284-4200

Kev
Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
5cats
just jd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
To install this with the Fuzeblock you would just snip the connectors off of the positive (along with the fuse) and negative lead on the existing D2 wiring harness and plug them into the Fuzeblock. Then add a 20a mini blade fuse and you are cooking with gas.
The wiring seems pretty obvious now, thanks for spelling it out for slow-folks like me.
I'm still don't get the 20A fuse though -- seems these things draw < 1A each light. Two lights makes it less than 2A, plus whatever the control box draws. I'd expect the control box to draw milliamps, and there doesn't seem to be any extra startup load.

Quote:
I do not believe that this control box is a heater as well. Apparently you have an extensive electrical/lighting background. Are you by chance a manufacturer?
hardly! -- on both counts !
No, I'm just a typical dude tinkering in the garage, trying to understand how I'm going to install these new lights without handing my entire paycheck over to some mechanic.

Thanks for your patience with the questions, Kev. Are the D2s shipping now?
I already have a "SW-Motech Auxiliary Light Mount" on the way for my 1200GS -- anything else I need for the install?

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 272
Group buy on lights

I would be interested on a set, depending on the price and finding a way to mount on myy ZZR1200.

Thanks.