Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
The wiring seems pretty obvious now, thanks for spelling it out for slow-folks like me.
I'm still don't get the 20A fuse though -- seems these things draw < 1A each light. Two lights makes it less than 2A, plus whatever the control box draws. I'd expect the control box to draw milliamps, and there doesn't seem to be any extra startup load.

hardly! -- on both counts !
No, I'm just a typical dude tinkering in the garage, trying to understand how I'm going to install these new lights without handing my entire paycheck over to some mechanic.

Thanks for your patience with the questions, Kev. Are the D2s shipping now?
I already have a "SW-Motech Auxiliary Light Mount" on the way for my 1200GS -- anything else I need for the install?

Cheers,
-jd.
I just did an install today on a R12. I can tell you that the white wire is the high beam wire.... Since you have the light bar already I would say you are cooking with gas. I took the plastics off of the right side of the bike and ran it inside of the sub-frame and under the tank.

Kev
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesplains View Post
I would be interested on a set, depending on the price and finding a way to mount on myy ZZR1200.

Thanks.
The price for the D2s is $349.99 and I am pretty sure you could use the M6 fender mount kit which is effectively 2 brackets that replace your regular M6 front fender bolts.

A cheaper alternative that would use the same M6 mounting point would be this:

Just check your fender bolts. if they are M6 you are all set. We also have similar hardware for M5 and other sizes.

Look Here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/865/
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
5cats
just jd.

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I just did an install today on a R12. I can tell you that the white wire is the high beam wire.... Since you have the light bar already I would say you are cooking with gas. I took the plastics off of the right side of the bike and ran it inside of the sub-frame and under the tank.

Kev
Good to hear.
I arranged to have my D1 set credited for D2s from my local dealer (thank-you-rick-johns! )

So Kev -- on the r1200gs install -- did you tap into the high beam for a hi-power sense switch per the instructions? or did you find a "better" way to switch low-high?

My wish: a 3-position version of the supplied 2-position waterproof piaa-like manual switch. Any suggestions on such an animal? Then I'd only need to supply the switch with accessory-on sense, and use it to manually turn OFF/LOW/HI without any tapping of the actual highbeam or add yet another toggle.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Good to hear.
I arranged to have my D1 set credited for D2s from my local dealer (thank-you-rick-johns! )

So Kev -- on the r1200gs install -- did you tap into the high beam for a hi-power sense switch per the instructions? or did you find a "better" way to switch low-high?

My wish: a 3-position version of the supplied 2-position waterproof piaa-like manual switch. Any suggestions on such an animal? Then I'd only need to supply the switch with accessory-on sense, and use it to manually turn OFF/LOW/HI without any tapping of the actual highbeam or add yet another toggle.

Cheers,
-jd.
Hi JD.

I did tap the high beam as per Option One - Standard Dual Density - (high and low beams)

Just had a long talk with our chief designer on just your question about the 3 position switch. There was a conscious decision made to keep the system simple for safety sake.

Currently when you power up the lights you are done using the auxiliary light switch we provide with the kit. From that point forward you use the existing and most recognized light adjusting apparatus to control the amount of light used. We did not want riders to be acclimating themselves to controls that are not normally there on most motorcycles. If you think about it there are a bunch of possible combinations afforded by a 3 position switch:
  1. Denali HIGH Motorcycle LOW
  2. Denali HIGH Motorcycle HIGH
  3. Denali LOW Motorcycle LOW
  4. Denali LOW Motorcycle HIGH
  5. Denali OFF Motorcycle LOW
  6. Denali OFF Motorcycle HIGH
Now if you look at some vintage bikes where you can turn the headlight off.... things just got even more complicated. As a guy who rides a lot of vintage junk I can tell you that the last thing you want to do is fidget with lights while trying to wrangle an old slow bike that speeds up when you grab a handful of brake lever.

Besides safety we also did not see any common situation where you would want to use the Denali high beams where you would not want to include the motorcycle high beams as well. Granted with a little creativity you may be able to generate a few situations where this would be reasonable but for the most part - if you need more light.... then more light is going to be better. If Denali Highs and motorcycle highs is just a bit too much you can kill the Denali D2s and just use your highs.

If your concerns are for the complexity of the installation. Have no fear. I am here to help. The only real skill I employed to finish this installation properly was a lack of fear. I have done 2 Denali installations: D1 March of 2010, D2 May of 2011. This was plenty of time to forget everything I learned the first time. I intentionally did both installs with no help. The hardest part was finding the courage to get started. I looked up the wire colors online in about 2 1/2 mins on (ADV rider). With the aid of the Posi-Taps I had the wires connected quite easily. I swear I will be here to help. When you buy from Twisted Throttle you get the benefit of our experience. At some point in time everyone here installs products on bikes. We like to stay current and be able to answer customer questions with the voice of experience. Like most riders love to share what we learn.

I hope this answers your questions -We're here to help.

Kev
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
redbike13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
cheaper D1

With the new D2's around, is there any chance that the price for the single D1 modules will be reduced?

I'm looking to add a couple more to my 800GS, and would be interested in some more D1's if the price was a little better than the ~ $125 on the twisted website.

Thanks!

2004 KLR 650 (sold)

2000 WR400f (sold)
redbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbike13 View Post
With the new D2's around, is there any chance that the price for the single D1 modules will be reduced?

I'm looking to add a couple more to my 800GS, and would be interested in some more D1's if the price was a little better than the ~ $125 on the twisted website.

Thanks!
They actually were reduced at the beginning of the year from the previous $132.50 to 122.50 - not a substantial drop in price but it helps. Our goal is not to phase out the D1 lights so there is no huge inventory reduction sale planned. They are an excellent alternative to the D2s and they are as good as anything else on the market and better than most.

Kev
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
redbike13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
They actually were reduced at the beginning of the year from the previous $132.50 to 122.50 - not a substantial drop in price but it helps. Our goal is not to phase out the D1 lights so there is no huge inventory reduction sale planned. They are an excellent alternative to the D2s and they are as good as anything else on the market and better than most.

Kev
Are single D2 pods available? Didn't see them listed on the website without the wiring harness.

Thanks again

2004 KLR 650 (sold)

2000 WR400f (sold)
redbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
5cats
just jd.

Quote:
Hi JD.

I did tap the high beam as per Option One - Standard Dual Density - (high and low beams)
[...]
I looked up the wire colors online in about 2 1/2 mins on (ADV rider). With the aid of the Posi-Taps I had the wires connected quite easily.
Kev
Kev, I have my switched power set but am pondering how to get the high bean switch sense.
Can you detail how you got this high beam +D2 wiring on your R12 install?
  • Did you go inside the high beam bucket?
  • or is there an easier place to tap that signal?
I plan to get it done this weekend ;)
-jd.

5cats screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 06:21 AM
5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
5cats
just jd.

I got the plastics off my r12, and have switched power ready to supply the D2 harness from the fuxeblocks fz1. Now to the wiring harness...

Holy Cow. This thing's bulky.
I'm scratching my head looking at that D2 wiring harness, and trying to see how it will hang on the bike. I'm just not seeing it.

Kev, maybe you could show some pics of how you ran the harness?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbike13 View Post
Are single D2 pods available? Didn't see them listed on the website without the wiring harness.

Thanks again
Can you just swap out the D1s and put on the D2s.... do they have the same plug and work with the same harness that came with the d1 kit.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #26
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Can you just swap out the D1s and put on the D2s.... do they have the same plug and work with the same harness that came with the d1 kit.
The D2 is a completely new light. A lot of new technology to drive the light to a much higher efficiency. The plus are completely different and there is an extra lead to plug in with the D2 System.

Kev
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #27
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Tech Day?

Any thoughts on doing a "Tech Day" at TT?

I'll gladly supply an F650GS to be used as the demo / photo mule for doing an install of the D1 or D2 aux lights....

Perhaps there may be others who would like to do this all at once...misery loves company, after all!

I'm an hour away...in SE MA.

Charlie
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
The D2 is a completely new light. A lot of new technology to drive the light to a much higher efficiency. The plus are completely different and there is an extra lead to plug in with the D2 System.

Kev
Do you take trade ins?
The D1s will have to do until they quit working..knock on wood.
I will say to anyone thinking of buying, the D1s I have are very impressive as far as light output, if the D2 is 70% brighter you will definitely need to dim them for oncoming traffic.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Any thoughts on doing a "Tech Day" at TT?

I'll gladly supply an F650GS to be used as the demo / photo mule for doing an install of the D1 or D2 aux lights....

Perhaps there may be others who would like to do this all at once...misery loves company, after all!

I'm an hour away...in SE MA.

Charlie
Well we do offer an installation service. Give us a call to schedule a time and we can get these on for you. 401-284-4200

Where in SE Mass? I used to live in Westport.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
twistedthrottle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Do you take trade ins?
The D1s will have to do until they quit working..knock on wood.
I will say to anyone thinking of buying, the D1s I have are very impressive as far as light output, if the D2 is 70% brighter you will definitely need to dim them for oncoming traffic.
If you plan to wait for them to die you had better turn them on and leave them that way for about 5 years. That is the expected service life of the D1s AND the D2s.