User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #331
bigdamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Great RR.

The road(highway) you traveled on will soon be tarmac all the way to Xinjiang.

I don't know if this is good or bad.Probably good for the people who live there.
bigdamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #332
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I donít know Tiffany about that kitchen , the hygiene looks a little suspect . Any one gotten food poisoning , stomach bugs or.......... crotch rot yet ?
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #333
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 951
Laugh Kitchen Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
I donít know Tiffany about that kitchen , the hygiene looks a little suspect . Any one gotten food poisoning , stomach bugs or.......... crotch rot yet ?
Hey Reaper
that was one of the cleaner kitchens that we saw on our trip. No one got food poisoning after my meal, in fact there compliments
and there didn't seem to be anyone complaining of crotch rot...or at least, not when I was within ear shot.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #334
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Bathroom Report

Never mind the Reaper asking about the kitchen, I think it's bathrooms he should be more concerned about.
Early morning beside Lake Manasarover and the bathroom is a bit on the fresh side, though it does have a great view
here is a teeth cleaning session

Complete with bundled up down-covered figures shivering as they walk past in the background.
Now I know when Yanks say bathrooms, they mean something quite different to us Brits, don't worry it's not that nasty

behind one of the seemingly random and precarious-looking brick walls is the village toilet pit- ladies to the right and gents to the left (that's if you can read the Tibetan writing on the wall).
Otherwise go behind the huge pile of yak dung out the back of the teahouse.

We left with a long day ahead of us, but at least the sun was shining. Lunch breaks often were a bit al fresco and tended to be, eat where and when you can. A few of the guys teamed up in the shade of this building.

This little boy stole my heart

And we got to see some more yaks up close, our first since leaving Kygyrzstan

A river to cross

And here's the ford

I get across, then the van

Some of the bikes were having a few problems...

...and we soon discovered why...

With mud like that, no-one is going to get any traction with their tyres. Once more I found myself in knee-deep water helping to pick up bikes and push them out.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #335
Zepfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Just amazing Tiffany, thanks. I imagine it to be like going to the moon almost. Are any in your group blogging? Like learning and imagining more! Thanks!
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #336
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
Hey Reaper
that was one of the cleaner kitchens that we saw on our trip. No one got food poisoning after my meal, in fact there compliments
and there didn't seem to be anyone complaining of crotch rot...or at least, not when I was within ear shot.

Actually they go hand and hand , which always worries me even when eating out here in the U.S. .
I can't imagine the natives in some of these places you adventurist wind up in having the proper hygiene .
Even the shall we say more civilized participants on your trip , just don't have the facilities to keep clean .
I can't go one day without a shower without feeling like a scum bag , I can't imagine several days without .
You guys are tough I'll give you that , I really like the riding but a motel , a hot shower and a clean bed at the end of the day for me is a must . I know I know I'm a sissy .
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #337
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Kitchens continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Actually they go hand and hand , which always worries me even when eating out here in the U.S. .
I can't imagine the natives in some of these places you adventurist wind up in having the proper hygiene .
Even the shall we say more civilized participants on your trip , just don't have the facilities to keep clean .
I can't go one day without a shower without feeling like a scum bag , I can't imagine several days without .
You guys are tough I'll give you that , I really like the riding but a motel , a hot shower and a clean bed at the end of the day for me is a must . I know I know I'm a sissy .
Hygiene often doesn't come into things as we know it, I'm afraid I'm one of those people who likes to sample street food - it always looks so intriguing, and I'm a curious person. Though as I'm vegetarian, the risks can be lower, it's just tricky trying to find out if it's a meat based product.

You'll love these pictures, a bloke "cooking" something on the street.

Using his blow torch to good effect, a sort of barbeque.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #338
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Friendship Highway

Leaving Lake Manasarover behind, we maintained the high altitudes with little greenery around and we started to pass more pilgrims, this time Tibetan Buddhists stretching themselves out and lying full length along the sides of the road in a form of worship as they made their way from one shrine to the next. Their strength of belief and faith was awe-inspiring as they undertook these journeys, prostrating themselves with a step forward between each stretch some of them covering distances of hundreds of miles over weeks or even months. They were cheery and waved to us between stretching out on the frozen ground.

The houses are fairly simple, and all have a backdrop of mountains.

We had another day on dirt tracks,

But we knew the Friendship Highway was beckoning us on. This is a tarmac road which connects Lhasa (Tibet's capital) with the Nepalese capital Kathmandu. We were looking forward to some tarmac as it would enable us to look around a bit more to take in our surroundings and enjoy the scenery, rather than having to focus on the track ahead all the time.

Finally, we reached the tarmac, though by home standards it was hardly a highway; for us it was like a mirage, as it had road markings, the first we had seen for many weeks. And there were even proper road signs, including, to my excitement one that pointed the way to Everest, that begged a photo opportunity.

Although Everest was on our itinerary, we weren't going up there today, it was going to need a full day of riding and so we stopped at a nearby town for the night and enjoyed our first proper hotel in a long time. It felt like such luxury to have a shower with hot water and even to have water running out of the taps in the bathroom, let alone a flushing toilet.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #339
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,645
Strange gear... has an apron on, leather wrist guards (probably to not incinerate his jacket), but is bare-handed. IMHO: Looks like he's cooking his right hand.

Is that his 'resturant' behind the doors?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #340
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Food Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Strange gear... has an apron on, leather wrist guards (probably to not incinerate his jacket), but is bare-handed. IMHO: Looks like he's cooking his right hand.

Is that his 'resturant' behind the doors?

I couldn't work out if that was his restaurant behind him, but as one of the riders with me commented...
"That guy's hand looks more appetising than the stuff he's cooking!"

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #341
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Everest!!! Part One

Every child knows the answer to what is the highest mountain in the world. And here I was finally getting the chance to see it, having crossed two continents, numerous deserts, rivers and mountain ranges and now the final stretch the 80 miles of gravel to Base Camp.

How lucky were we?? An early start leaving the hotel we'd stayed at and the sky was blue with hardly any cloud as we rode off.

Two checkpoints to clear before weíre allowed onto the track, we had over a hundred hairpin bends as we wound our way upwards.

The hairpins were challenging, often steep and always covered in gravel, the group was soon spread out along the mountainous slopes.

There was a mountain ridge to cross before we approach Everest itslef, the weather was still clear so we gathered for a group picture, lining the bikes up alongside the van as we posed for a photo that will be going in all our albums with the view of Everestís north face behind us.

Then the next section of hairpins, I was attempting to take photos of the others tackling the difficult curves whilst riding alongside them Ė with mixed results as often I had to grab the hand grips at the last minute in some particularly loose gravel (another in the occasional series of donít tell my Mum).

Through small villages where the locals looked on with surprise,

and then the final stretch up to Rongpu Monastery (the highest in the world).

The goat at the monastery watched us carefully as more and more bikes pulled up in front.

Another good view of Everest and I made the most of it, getting me and Beryl the bike into the shot

Base Camp was ahead of us, we left Mark at the monastery- disconsolately changing his shock absorber which had died on him 10 minutes earlier. This is his third trip to Everest so we didnít feel too bad at leaving him in the monastery yard; after all he had a great view of Everest as he got the tools out and started work.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #342
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 639
Fanbloodytastic!
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #343
FlameDance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
No sniggers from the chauvinists amongst you,
Who would dare? Those GPS are weird things with awkwarduser interface.
Quote:
the number of footpaths I had to ride along to get that pretty pattern on the GPS screen meant a lot of hard work
Bwahaha! Love that approach to modern tech. Following that track would probably big fun.

Great ride report. I guess, having to deal with paying customers all the time makes for a very different journey than riding alone?
FlameDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #344
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,265
The goat at the monastery watched us carefully as more and more bikes pulled up in front.

Couldn't resist

Great RR Tiffiny Your a lucky girl
Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #345
Trippy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
All lovely looking places Tiff, but none as good as Treen
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote