User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Washington State SR 821

This is part of a road trip I made from Ellensburg to the Pacific Coast. Afterwards I followed the Columbia River on the Washington side to Patterson.

On this trip I tested out my video camera and I made a short time lapse video of SR 821, also known as The Canyon Road. This road is located between Ellensburg and Yakima, and is an alternative to the Interstate.

I bought a cheap JVC digital camera which has a time lapse feature and stores the data on SD Cards. I can get 400 to 600 miles onto 16gb. After filming---- I use iMovie and the following software enhancements; Stabilization, Shutter Smoothing, Slow Motion 15%. These features reduce the videos jerkiness-in the direction of motion-- (but can exaggerate the drivers movements--left/right--).

Anyway here is THE LINK to my first motorcycle video. I experimented using my car first. Some of my first videos were on my off-road and those videos were way too rough.

Anyway…………..

Mkd

PS-If you don't like the music just turn it off. I selected a tune that moved at the pace of the video and was of the same approximate length.
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Bang a Gong!

Too much would give me motion sickness, but that was just the right dose! Thanks for putting that together, Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Macadam Drifter , not too bad , loved choice of music . A question for you . Can you select how often the camera takes a frame ? If so , maybe double or more to make it flow a little cleaner ? Now you got me to thinking about compressing video or removing every other frame . Thanks , like I don't have enough to do anyway ! How are you doing ? Almost called on you while riding home from the Blues last Sept. , but I was pretty beat and didn't want to drop by without warning . On my Sabre I could mount my GoPro on a bracket I made that screwed to clutch master cylinder , V-4 didn't shake the camera . On my WeeStrom I have to use the helmet mount . But think I will try a low mount off of crash bar , love the low angle videos . Now if I could just pickup clean engine sounds without all the other noise . Fun to play with cameras , but being "older" some of the software can really bog me down .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Macadam Drifter , not too bad , loved choice of music . A question for you . Can you select how often the camera takes a frame ? If so , maybe double or more to make it flow a little cleaner ? Now you got me to thinking about compressing video or removing every other frame . Thanks , like I don't have enough to do anyway ! How are you doing ? Almost called on you while riding home from the Blues last Sept. , but I was pretty beat and didn't want to drop by without warning . On my Sabre I could mount my GoPro on a bracket I made that screwed to clutch master cylinder , V-4 didn't shake the camera . On my WeeStrom I have to use the helmet mount . But think I will try a low mount off of crash bar , love the low angle videos . Now if I could just pickup clean engine sounds without all the other noise . Fun to play with cameras , but being "older" some of the software can really bog me down .
Thank you for the insights.

Since I got this cancer thing going. I needed something to do in my spare time when I'm recovering from treatments. Videos sure can eat up a lot of time but that's something I have a lot of after treatments. I just finish a ride to the coast (Ilwaco). So I have a bunch of time lapse and this will give me something to do as I return for 6-8 weeks of treatment here in the next few weeks. That's probably going to kill my summer riding, but I hope to be on the road this fall or …..maybe a road trip south during the winter. Anyway……………….

The time lapse feature on my camera has five settings: the fastest is one frame per second which is the one I use it seems to work the smoothest and the slower you go the better it appears. A helmet mount provides the clearest image but this camera is too big for that kind of mount.

I'm still experimenting but sofar this has been the best quality I have gotten from a camera under $300.

Mkd

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 02:41 PM
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Somewhere in here I remember reading about a vibration dampening mount that sounded great , but fairly expensive . Think it was rated for a full size SLR (heavy) camera . I would imagine there is a ton of software to manipulate videos so we could compress , slowdown our videos . Have been barely scratching the surface with Picasa . I can see if I work with too many videos I will need to add a few external hard drives . Mine is the old non HD GoPro and even a short video is huge . I will drop in and follow this thread to see what you figure out . BTW , loved your trip to Mn. I have a few minor health issues and am planning on going to D2D this year , if I wait to much longer I don't think the old body will enjoy it too much . Wishing you the best in your treatments .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote