Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
blackSP OP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
The other side of Amsterdam (not what you think, pervert!)

Today I didn't feel like riding very far for some off-roading but I did want to see dirt.

Well, since I live in Amsterdam that gave me a bit of a challenge. But where there's a wile there's a way and since I had my mind set on two areas close by already for a while I decided to do some exploring.

I must say that I'm extremely pleased with the results. One are is a keeper, the first set of pics. This is a patch of forest located besides on of the major highways around Amsterdam. This patch is about 2,5km long and between 50 and 200m wide and is scattered with single tracks, small hills. And I found a rear surprise right in the middle, you will see what I means further on...

There were also 2 scary descents. Steep, very loose sandy underground with an sharp immediate right  turn at the bottom. I can forget that when it's wet!

This is great, this track seems to linger on forever (sort of) and goes up and down through the forest...

This is one of the descents, Or ascent when you go back :)

The ascent

There are actually quite a few trees, trunks and branches blocking the path here and there, I removed most of them so next I can speed it up a bit!

This is the end of one of the trail, you end up at a river. the other one stays level and ends a bit to the right.

I actually walked this track up and down first to see if it was doable. I'm glad i did that cause going up from the other side is not really doable with a heave HP2. This side is OK and going down the other side is OK. Kind of. I was sweating like pig!

This is the other side going down, very lose stuff and the trail has a bat angle further on leaning to the left, in a bend, while going down.

Doesn't look hard like this. Hmm...

And this is the surprise of the day. A Dutch family was living here, they had 2 bikes, a wood stove, a small flower garden (on the other side) and a hidden path ending up at the road further down the forest.

WTF, why would anybody want to live like this?
This is Holland, we are a rich country, people live in houses here!

And the other steep descent with a sharp turn to right at the bottom.
This may look easy but with the heavy pig I'm riding I can guarantee you it was not!

Damned cylinders are in the way...

And the other side of my secret place, which I'm gonna tell nobody about, keeping it all to my self :)

Not to far away, sort of half way back home (which is like 5 minutes from here) they're building a HUGE golf course. Great off roading until they close the area. Well, it's already closed but since I live close by I know a way in...

Oh, wrong pics, this was in Marocco.

Whoooaaah!

The end...

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Thanks for sharing BlackSP. I was just in Amsterdam last month. Lovely place, though I'm sure finding places to ride the HP2 is difficult.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
blackSP OP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Yes it is. I really always go out 'expedition' style and thus with a bit of creativity you can still have fun!

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Nice that you could find a beautiful road right outside Amsterdam. When I was there it seemed to be extremely congested. I guess with enough will and creativity a good ADVer can find nice areas to ride almost anywhere.

Amsterdam woud alot of fun to ride my GS through the cool little streets all over Amsterdam. WOuld love to ride up to Sama Sebo and eat some killer Indonesian food. Probably stop in at the Bull Dog first.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Thanks for the RR. That's a big bike to take on a foot path.

Oh, and please post a RR of the actual other side of Amsterdam for us stateside perverts.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote