Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #31
plonkomaticus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
It's a pity Triumph didn't gear the T800 with wider spread ratios; first gear is a bit tall for tricky stuff, and the engine has easily enough torque to pull a higher 6th.

I came perilously close to discovering the true range yesterday... 302km and it took 18.73L. Incidentally, that's the first time I've gone over 300km with 3800km on the clock so far.

The range sucks
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #32
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonkomaticus View Post
It's a pity Triumph didn't gear the T800 with wider spread ratios; first gear is a bit tall for tricky stuff, and the engine has easily enough torque to pull a higher 6th.

I came perilously close to discovering the true range yesterday... 302km and it took 18.73L. Incidentally, that's the first time I've gone over 300km with 3800km on the clock so far.

The range sucks
Yes it sucks! That is only 187 miles with 2/10s of a liter left. There is no guarantee that the bike can even pick up that last .2 liter of gas. If the filling station had been a mile farther, you may not have made it.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #33
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
I came perilously close to discovering the true range yesterday... 302km and it took 18.73L.

The range sucks
this means 6.2 lt/100km...

this really sucks!

maybe your riding was very aggressive? in what speeds was your ride man?
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #34
plonkomaticus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Yes it sucks! That is only 187 miles with 2/10s of a liter left. There is no guarantee that the bike can even pick up that last .2 liter of gas. If the filling station had been a mile farther, you may not have made it.
Absolutely.

I'm not happy that the marginal range will force me to carry extra fuel.
Triumph screwed up on this... it's so unnecessary, there's not one single trade-off involved in providing a decent range.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
plonkomaticus
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance> View Post
this means 6.2 lt/100km...

this really sucks!

maybe your riding was very aggressive? in what speeds was your ride man?

Swift and committed, but not manic. This is mixed riding with some city, some country roads, and some major roads at 130-140kmh.
I'm shortly heading off for a 3300km Scotland tour - I'd expect consumption to improve somewhat, guessing 5.7 average. I'll report back...
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Swift and committed, but not manic. This is mixed riding with some city, some country roads, and some major roads at 130-140kmh.
I'm shortly heading off for a 3300km Scotland tour - I'd expect consumption to improve somewhat, guessing 5.7 average. I'll report back...
Great info, thanks!
One thing to keep in mind is that the 800 motor may not be fully broken in until somewhere around 3000 miles (5K kms or so?).

I've noticed this on several new bikes. Power and compression can increase and some motors will take 3000 miles to get 100% up to power. So ... there is a chance the Tiger 800's fuel economy may improve some once the motor is 100% bedded in.

I'm betting Triumph will address lack of range and good economy issues in future models. BMW have done it with both bikes and cars. The Japanese have done it with their cars : more HP yet better MPG (Km per liter) and even lower emissions. Triumph can do this. With all the geniuses
borrowed from Banbury (Formula One) they have the ability ... but it will cost them ... and I feel THAT is the main problem. Cheap.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

considering that the f800gs has a consumption of ~4,2 lt/100km, then the 6,2 lt/100km of the tiger 800 REALLY sucks....
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I've just returned from a 1,000 mile road trip to North Georgia. Checked the mileage each time I filled up (usually around 150 miles). Best was 44 mpg, worst was 37mpg (Interstate run). One up, rider weight 200, tires at 40 lbs, Triumph side cases on, total miles on bike 2,700.

I've owned 6 FI motorcycles, this is the absolute worst one for mileage. Hell, even the 800+ pound Harley Road Glide averaged 45 mpg.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #39
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I've just returned from a 1,000 mile road trip to North Georgia. Checked the mileage each time I filled up (usually around 150 miles). Best was 44 mpg, worst was 37mpg (Interstate run). One up, rider weight 200, tires at 40 lbs, Triumph side cases on, total miles on bike 2,700.

I've owned 6 FI motorcycles, this is the absolute worst one for mileage. Hell, even the 800+ pound Harley Road Glide averaged 45 mpg.
I have to believe Triumph is reading these comments. Would love to be the wall fly listening to conversations inside the company regarding this issue. I can't believe they thought, during the design stage, that adventure riders would accept a limited range motorcycle. Maybe the poor mileage did not surface until production. I bet there are a few "I told you sos"being offered. There have to be potential buyers reading these comments that could be putting off purchase until this is resolved. I feel the 5 gallon tank would be adequate if the T800 could manage 50 mpg. At 42 mpg the tank starts looking smallish, and at 37 mpg, well you get the point.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #40
bmwmc
Slow Rider

Oddometer: 35
I admit that range is the biggest issue keeping me on the fence. My Wee's 250 mile safe range is adequate.
bmwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #41
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,327
Personally, I think the whole "range" thing is a bit overblown. I rode a Ulysses all over Alaska, Canada, and the western USA. Two hundred miles is about the best you'll ever see on one tank on that bike before the light comes on, and it's usually less. I did carry an extra gallon of fuel with me in Alaska and Canada, but never needed it. How many of you are ever going to honestly be more than 200 miles (which my T800 will do) from the next available fuel without being able to plan for it?
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #42
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

you get 200 miles from a tank in tiger800?

i can't understand how come there are so vast variations in fuel consumption in t800, given the fact that some have the same average mph with others...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Personally, I think the whole "range" thing is a bit overblown. I rode a Ulysses all over Alaska, Canada, and the western USA. Two hundred miles is about the best you'll ever see on one tank on that bike before the light comes on, and it's usually less. I did carry an extra gallon of fuel with me in Alaska and Canada, but never needed it. How many of you are ever going to honestly be more than 200 miles (which my T800 will do) from the next available fuel without being able to plan for it?
There is a huge difference between a low fuel light at 200 miles and having .2 liters left at 187.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #44
hellsbuddha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
mpg

Triumphs are not great. I have a street triple and 45 mpg (uk) is the best I have seen.

I suspect the 800 isnt much better. The real difficult bill to swallow is the 12k service.
hellsbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #45
bmwmc
Slow Rider

Oddometer: 35
I am not so concerned about the fuel mileage in and of itself. If the tank held another gallon or so I would be much more convinced to buy. I don't NEED to go over 200 miles on a tank as gas stations are not that far apart in most of the US. I just think stopping every 180 miles or so to fill up is inconvenient.
bmwmc is offline   Reply With Quote