ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #61
Smallj
Dirty Traitor
 
Smallj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Franklin Indiana
Oddometer: 8
I routinely got 55mpg on my F800st for similar per tank range.
Smallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #62
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallj View Post
I routinely got 55mpg on my F800st for similar per tank range.
I'd rather have my 51mpg on a triple than 55 on a rough twin.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #63
JungleJeff
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
I'd rather have my 51mpg on a triple than 55 on a rough twin.
Amen!
JungleJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #64
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 388
But judging on locations of the two posters, the 51 mpg guy is talking those jumbo imperial gallons and the 55 mpg guy is talking US mini gallons (with ethanol). If true, apples to apples would be 43 mpg to 55 mpg and the discrepancy would be even greater if we considered the effect ethanol has on mileage.

43 mpg is piss poor for a 800cc, 480 lb motorcycle..
__________________
__________
Jim
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #65
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
But judging on locations of the two posters, the 51 mpg guy is talking those jumbo imperial gallons and the 55 mpg guy is talking US mini gallons (with ethanol). If true, apples to apples would be 43 mpg to 55 mpg and the discrepancy would be even greater if we considered the effect ethanol has on mileage.

43 mpg is piss poor for a 800cc, 480 lb motorcycle..
Seems to me we've seen several reports of around 50 MPG US gallons.
Read back a few pages ...

I do agree about Ethanol ... reduces mileage, but not that much in my experience on many trips crossing from NON Ethanol in California to Oregon, where Ethanol is in all fuel there.

On my 1050 Tiger went from arond 50 mpg in California to around 47 in Oregon and Idaho. On my DR650 I get between 47 and 50. Ethanol reduces it to 44-47 or so.

Economy and range are always affected by riding style and conditions. And of course, as you say, panniers have an affect too. Then you have head winds! And Tail winds!!
On highway 5 my Vstrom would get well over 50 MPG with a 20 knot tail wind (heading South). With a strong afternoon headwind heading North that figure would drop to 40 MPG, at best.
Hey, on a long, boring road ... what else is there to do but figure MPG?
I always carry my mini calculator ... and make notes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #66
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
On my 1050 Tiger went from arond 50 mpg in California to around 47 in Oregon and Idaho. On my DR650 I get between 47 and 50. Ethanol reduces it to 44-47 or so.
Are you sure you're not mixing things up? I have never seen non-ethanol fuel in California in the last few years.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer
 
Twohondas's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,153
My experience is that CA gas is the most expensive while delivering the worst mileage.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #68
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
My experience is that CA gas is the most expensive while delivering the worst mileage.
I don't disagree ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #69
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Are you sure you're not mixing things up? I have never seen non-ethanol fuel in California in the last few years.
Percentages of Ethanol in fuel in California varies, usually between 5% to 10%. Sometimes less in higher octane fuel.

Oregon and Idaho typically have at least 10%.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...150.xml&coll=7

Also, if you buy mid grade or High test in California, typically the percentage of Ethanol is reduced.

Then there is E85 fuel which has been around in many states for a while. Not real popular. (85% Ethanol)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #70
halfast3
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: usually in Oregon
Oddometer: 24
Bigger tank?

For those Tiger 800/XC owners who absolutely must have more range, there's a light at the end of the tunnel:
http://safaritanksusa.com/index.php?...01b245118a6c14
Hopefully it's not an oncoming train...

...or a fire in the tunnel
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #71
JungleJeff
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Venice, FL
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
For those Tiger 800/XC owners who absolutely must have more range, there's a light at the end of the tunnel:
http://safaritanksusa.com/index.php?...01b245118a6c14
Hopefully it's not an oncoming train...

...or a fire in the tunnel

7-8 Gallons. Sweet! An extra 100-150 miles! I still think the XC is one of the sweetest compromises I have ridden. For me it is the perfect blend of Ducati Hypermotard and R1200GS. I have been waiting for this combo for some time now, and I am certain it is my next new bike.
JungleJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #72
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GearHd6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ashford, CT
Oddometer: 150
I'm getting around 43-45 mpg with varied riding. I'm currently using 87 octane gas but I've used 89 and 93 octane also. I don't see much difference between grades.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #73
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride
 
Evomx971's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 233
I checked mileage on the last two tanks. 43.5mpg and 44.1mpg. On this last tank, it was pretty much all hiway and interstate running 65-80mph into some pretty steady head and crosswinds all day. The fuel light came on with two bars left at 150 miles on the tank (way too early IMHO). When I fueled up, it still showed one bar and I had 181 miles on the tank and it took 4.1 gallons. I'll keep watching, but I'm pretty comfortable thinking that in normal (ie. not BFE) running, I don't need to starting looking for gas until 180-190 miles. I expect mileage to improve a bit once it's fully broke in.

800XC, no panniers, 500 miles on the bike, using 87 octane with no ethanol, U.S. Gallons

I have the Arrow pipe on the way which comes with a re-map. Will be interesting what happens to mpg after that. I haven't paid too close attention, but what are you guys that already have the Arrow pipe getting? High end or low end?

Love the bike. As long as it doesn't get under 40mpg, I won't be estatic, but it'll be ok with me.
__________________
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~ A. Lincoln
'11 Triumph 800XC ABS / '94 Honda XR650L / '06 Yamaha YZ125
Thanks to my 2013 Sponsors - Motorex and Leatt
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #74
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I checked mileage on the last two tanks. 43.5mpg and 44.1mpg. On this last tank, it was pretty much all hiway and interstate running 65-80mph into some pretty steady head and crosswinds all day. The fuel light came on with two bars left at 150 miles on the tank (way too early IMHO). When I fueled up, it still showed one bar and I had 181 miles on the tank and it took 4.1 gallons. I'll keep watching, but I'm pretty comfortable thinking that in normal (ie. not BFE) running, I don't need to starting looking for gas until 180-190 miles. I expect mileage to improve a bit once it's fully broke in.

800XC, no panniers, 500 miles on the bike, using 87 octane with no ethanol, U.S. Gallons

I have the Arrow pipe on the way which comes with a re-map. Will be interesting what happens to mpg after that. I haven't paid too close attention, but what are you guys that already have the Arrow pipe getting? High end or low end?

Love the bike. As long as it doesn't get under 40mpg, I won't be estatic, but it'll be ok with me.
Thanks, great information.

"but I'm pretty comfortable thinking that in normal (ie. not BFE) running, I don't need to starting looking for gas until 180-190 miles."

Yes I agree totally, that really is all I am asking for. My low fuel light came on at 180 to 210 on my f650 single. I then had 50 to 60 miles to find a station. If I fuel up the T800 at 181 with a gallon left in the tank, that is close enough for me.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #75
Johno33772
Johnny Africa
 
Johno33772's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: St Petesburg, FL
Oddometer: 709
Rode 500 mile loop yesterday 2 up...got 53 mpg overall with mixed type of slow & go + back roads.Coming home on the interstate & ran 80 to 85mph & got just bit over 50mpg. This was my break in ride & maybe with a "real" air filter instead of the paper element + an exhaust...gotta be betteer overall. The bike performed flawlessly.
__________________
KTM 1190R / XR500 Street tracker project/ KTM 530 Plated / KTM 300 / Sherco 2.9 / Honda ZA50,Ural Patrol
Johno33772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014