Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #76
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
Rode 500 mile loop yesterday 2 up...got 53 mpg overall with mixed type of slow & go + back roads.Coming home on the interstate & ran 80 to 85mph & got just bit over 50mpg. This was my break in ride & maybe with a "real" air filter instead of the paper element + an exhaust...gotta be better overall. The bike performed flawlessly.
This is encouraging! Since I often manage to get somewhat better mileage than others on similar machines, I'll remain optimistic. Of course, it helps to know there'll be a larger tank option if needed.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #77
Spots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I imagine ride type and rider behaviour has a huge influence; I know my Tiger 1050 gets 5.1L/100km over a 1000km freeway cruise (w/ 100kph and 110kph speed limits), 6.0L/100km over 1000km of twisty road sports-touring from one state to the next and a woeful 7.6L/100km doing urban commuting, for example.

I still need to testride the T800XC myself. :)
Spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #78
plonkomaticus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
My best tank so far (4500km) is 43.7 US -52.4 imp-5.4 L/100 - and that's in the company of an almost painfully steady and timid rider, half plodding along the freeway at 100-120kmh and the other half bumbling along easy country roads at 60-80kmh.

I'm beginning to wonder just how it's possible to get 50mpg US on the T800... I don't get it.

My feeling is that the Tiger's fuel consumption is just about acceptable, bordering on disappointing.

However, combine so-so economy with an uneccessarily small tank and we have a range problem. I'm not talking about monster 30L tanks, but a 23-24L tank would have made all the difference. Easy: place the ignition lock in front of the steering head instead of behind it (gain 2L), make the tank subtly larger (no aesthetic penalty for another 3L)

I've seen plenty of comments along the lines of "well, you have to stop for a rest anyway".
Sure, but my rest-stop rythm runs on a different schedule from refuelling-stops; sometimes they coincide, sometimes they don't. Having to start thinking about fuel after latest 200km in remoter areas is just not good enough for this sort of bike.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #79
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
I'm curious if anyone has seen torque and horsepower curves for the new T800 motor yet? The reason being that most of the bikes I've owned in the past (the ones I've checked anyway) get their best mileage running at whatever RPM coincides with the torque curve just beginning to level off at the end of it's initial rise. So I'd like to know the RPM where that occurs on this bike.

My Ulysses (now gone) for example would get 2mpg better mileage at 70mph in fourth gear at ~4000rpm than it did at the same speed in fifth gear at ~3400rpm. The bike had plenty of power to cruise in fifth, but the motor was more efficient with that load at 4000rpm. And this was not isolated to just my bike. It was reported by many other Ulysses owners.

I'm wondering what that most efficient point is for the new Tiger motor. Maybe in Plonko's example at 100-120kph this bike would get better mileage in fifth than in sixth? And no, I haven't tried it yet because it takes 5000rpm to do 70mph in sixth on the T800 and I don't have enough miles on mine yet to be running it above 5000rpm.

Edit: Well, the one curve I found through google shows the point I was interested in to be at ~3200rpm and the graph remains amazingly flat from ~3500 to redline. So, my theory won't pan out on this bike since you're already well above that point at highway speeds. It does kind of indicate though that it might easily handle a sprocket change to improve the mileage a little.

davevv screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 06:43 AM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #80
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Don't forget that the tank has those plastic tank protectors (that fit like crap) that make the tank look bulkier than it really is. I say eighty six the protectors and replace them with added useable tank volume. I would be very surprised if Triumph redesigned the tank though. That would be a huge expense. I got an e-mail from Safari saying a tank for the 800 will take longer than they originally thought. After viewing their other tanks though I don't think I will want one. They seem to specialize in larger plastic tanks for more dirt oriented dualsports. Plus they indicate their future 800 tank is for the XC, no mention of the Roadie. I just don't see a larger tank, from Triumph or any one else, in my future.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #81
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Don't forget that the tank has those plastic tank protectors (that fit like crap) that make the tank look bulkier than it really is. I say eighty six the protectors and replace them with added useable tank volume. I would be very surprised if Triumph redesigned the tank though. That would be a huge expense. I got an e-mail from Safari saying a tank for the 800 will take longer than they originally thought. After viewing their other tanks though I don't think I will want one. They seem to specialize in larger plastic tanks for more dirt oriented dualsports. Plus they indicate their future 800 tank is for the XC, no mention of the Roadie. I just don't see a larger tank, from Triumph or any one else, in my future.

Tank is the same for both so effectively one designed for the XC would fit the 800.
Any aftermarket maker is going to have great fun making a tank for the 800 due to the location of the pump etc. Any deep overhang would effectively have to be a separate tank with a pump into the maintank.

As regards the protectors they are just that... protectors and as such a close fit would be a bad thing as they are sacrificial in the event of a crash.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #82
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Tank is the same for both so effectively one designed for the XC would fit the 800.
Any aftermarket maker is going to have great fun making a tank for the 800 due to the location of the pump etc. Any deep overhang would effectively have to be a separate tank with a pump into the maintank.

As regards the protectors they are just that... protectors and as such a close fit would be a bad thing as they are sacrificial in the event of a crash.
I would think most owners would not want to give up the integrated computer function for range to empty. So tank makers would not only have to deal with the fuel pump, but also the fuel level sender.

What ever the function is of the protectors, however it is that they work, they should be designed to not look like bad fitting parts.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #83
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Plus they indicate their future 800 tank is for the XC, no mention of the Roadie.
It would appear that the only significant differences between the 800 & 800XC tanks are the graphics & color.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #84
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Depending on sales and success of this model, I could see Triumph themselves covering this base. As they add more and more adventure type accessories to their catalog, I could see a larger tank being offered. It'd be huge money, but could be a factory built item and fuel pump ready and all pre-wired for easy plug and play install. Probably cost $800 to $1000 USD.

If this bike takes off like the BMW GS's have, then I could see many more off road/adventure extras being offered.

If Triumph don't do a tank, perhaps Touratech will offer something? They've offered tanks for BMW and KTM for a while. All overpriced IMO, but some good products that fit the bike intended.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 AM   #85
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
give more feedback!
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #86
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance> View Post
give more feedback!
I did 300 miles last Sat. The ride was basically an elongated loop riding north from Baton Rouge to above Natchez on secondary roads, for lunch, then back home on Hwy 61. Going north I had a tail wind and got 41mpg. I was riding with two C14s and a guy on a new Tiger 1050, purchased the day before. At about mile 150 we stopped for a rest and I filled up and was the only one to do so. We did not see another gas station for 70 miles. I would not have made it to that station. The three other riders made it easily including the 1050, in fact he reported better mileage than me, after filling up there! My tail wind became a head wind on the way home and I got 38.4 mpg. I have the Roadie with Triumph bags. It seems like the luggage is good for a 1 to 2 mpg penalty, as compared to my bike before the luggage.

Before the ride I asked the leader on a C14 when he usually stops for gas and his reply was 190 miles or so. I knew at that point I was going to have to top off if given the chance. I am considering carrying maybe two fuel bottles in the smaller right bag for the time being, for times when I don't have the chance to top off.

I have said this before, when riding by my self mpg and range is not a huge issue. I know when to stop for gas and seldom find myself in areas where gas stations are that far apart. That 70 mile stretch last Sat. was a good one for sure, but I was smart enough to fill up at 150 so it was not an issue. On my little F650 single I would have made it to that station easily with 40 miles to spare. My concern with mpg and range is when I am riding in a group, going a good distance, and I am not leading.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #87
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
I have said this before, when riding by my self mpg and range is not a huge issue. I know when to stop for gas and seldom find myself in areas where gas stations are that far apart. That 70 mile stretch last Sat. was a good one for sure, but I was smart enough to fill up at 150 so it was not an issue. On my little F650 single I would have made it to that station easily with 40 miles to spare. My concern with mpg and range is when I am riding in a group, going a good distance, and I am not leading.
I do quite a few group rides too so I know what you're talking about regards being "out of sync" with the group. Thing is, our ride leaders learned a long time ago to work out more closely spaced fuel stops ... or announce to the group that we've got a long stretch coming up. We have a real mixed group of bikes and ALWAYS plan stops from 100 miles to 150 max miles apart. Everyone fills together ... so everyone is in sync and most everyone has a good safety cushion of fuel.
Only a few dual sport bikes with stock tanks are pressed to do 150 miles.

190 mile interval in just crazy and it's BS. I'm betting most will want off the bike before that distance ... unless you guys only ever ride slab. Our roads are more like this:

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 10:27 AM
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #88
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
It seems like the luggage is good for a 1 to 2 mpg penalty, as compared to my bike before the luggage.
That's why I never ride with huge side luggage in day to day riding. Tailbag, small topcase, tank bag. Mostly just one of them. That's it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #89
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
43 mpg is piss poor for a 800cc, 480 lb motorcycle..
I would agree, my 800lb, 1800cc VTX gets mid-40's on average.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #90
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Looks like we've got a reasonable consensus to appease the BMW Kool-Aid Crowd who are snipping around here looking for weaknesses with this bike. Now they can take this back to their BMW threads and announce the Tiger 800 is not perfect. Pretty slim pickins' on this little Beast I'd say. But ... nonetheless a real issue that Triumph will have to deal with.

So ... how will they deal with it? What do you all think Triumph will do to address this. What can they do to make this bike get better fuel economy?

1. Triumph will do nothing
2. Triumph will add bigger tank
3. Triumph will work with F.I. system to achieve better MPG
4. Triumph will do a minor re-design of compression ratios, cams, cam timing and head design to achieve better MPG.

How soon will action be taken?
Next year?
Never?
Two or Three model years onward?