Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #91
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Fuel Report. 800 XC - 1st tank of fuel. Side cases on, but empty, tall windscreen, 170 lb single rider. Mixed back roads (50 - 70 mph) & about 30 miles of state forest dirt / gravel roads (20 - 40 mph) 193.7 mi on 4.43 US gal = 43.7 mpg. Not bad for a brand new motor. Expect it will only get better after break in. Extrapolating to empty - about 220 mi range.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #92
kswaid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
If it makes you guys feel any better, it seems that most Kawi Versys owners aren't getting much better mileage. That is an even smaller and lighter bike, but I was getting no more than about 44 mpg with the stock gearing. Gearing up ~5% bumped that to around 50 mpg. I am definitely going to keep an eye on this thread as I will be checking out the T800 as an upgrade next year.
kswaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #93
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
I just finished a 4300+ mile trip on my XC; bike now has 6000 miles on it. Fuel efficiency has improved quite a bit. In mixed riding (stop and go city traffic, high-speed highway, back roads riding with lots of slowing and accelerating) I was getting in the mid/high 40s (US gallons) by the end of the trip, and that was with the bike loaded down with decidedly non-aerodynamic luggage.

Today I headed out for a long Vermont back roads ride -- plenty of twisties and spirited acceleration -- and got 50mpg.

I'm not a hooligan, but I'm also not exactly conservative. Can't explain why I'm getting 50mpg when other people are reporting high 30s, except that maybe they wind the shit out of the throttle at any opportunity.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #94
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I'm not a hooligan, but I'm also not exactly conservative. Can't explain why I'm getting 50mpg when other people are reporting high 30s, except that maybe they wind the shit out of the throttle at any opportunity.
--mark
No way I am winding the shit out of the throttle. Two weeks ago I did 200 + miles with my Harley buds. A friend on a Dyna was leading, believe me he was not going fast. He got 45 mpg and I got 43. I think my average speed was 52 mph. That was before adding my luggage.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #95
Mr noname OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
I just finished a 4300+ mile trip on my XC; bike now has 6000 miles on it. Fuel efficiency has improved quite a bit. In mixed riding (stop and go city traffic, high-speed highway, back roads riding with lots of slowing and accelerating) I was getting in the mid/high 40s (US gallons) by the end of the trip, and that was with the bike loaded down with decidedly non-aerodynamic luggage.

Today I headed out for a long Vermont back roads ride -- plenty of twisties and spirited acceleration -- and got 50mpg.

that is AMAZING!

Quote:

--mark
i also can't get it! how is all that difference justified? wtf?
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #96
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance> View Post
i also can't get it! how is all that difference justified? wtf?
Fairly easy. Different riders, meaning different weight and different height, means different aerodynamics. Luggage vs. no luggage or soft luggage, or just a top case makes a huge difference. Riding habits, how you accelerate, brake, drive, and so on makes a huge difference. Preferred rpms make a big difference ...

Therefore: fuel consumption testing is normally very strict in how tests are done. What happens here is experience from different people. That's pretty similar to asking "How many bottles of water do you need for a 40km hike / run" ... without defining, speed, weight, temperature, and many other things, the answers aren't comparable.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #97
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Fairly easy. Different riders, meaning different weight and different height, means different aerodynamics. Luggage vs. no luggage or soft luggage, or just a top case makes a huge difference. Riding habits, how you accelerate, brake, drive, and so on makes a huge difference. Preferred rpms make a big difference ...
I agree.
I'll add that a long, long time ago I read that you'll get best economy when the engine is worked around its maximum torque rpm.
Now, I tend to use my 955 Tiger between 3Krpm and 5Krpm and get high 50s UK mpg. I know other people rev the nuts off it and, incidentally don't go any quicker, and get low 40s UKmpg. Where's the maximum torque on the Tiger955? 4400rpm according to Triumph.
Also backing up this view, I read a report of a bike economy run where an magazine tester rode a Varadero125. He wrote that he had read that max torque was around 8000rpm (I think?) so that's where he kept the revs and he got 107UKmpg out of it.
So, in conclusion, maybe we need to keep these 800 engines at higher revs because the quoted max torque is at 7850rpm (http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/...specifications). Yes I do realise they have a fairly flat torque curve but even so, lugging the engine below 3000 will not help economy.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #98
jphish
Studly Adventurer

I'd generally agree - not under 3K RPM for normal riding. But 7,850 RPM seems a bit excessive - What you may gain in fuel economy... you loose in engine wear. Those pistons have a relatively finite number of ups / downs before it's overhaul time.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #99
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Therefore: fuel consumption testing is normally very strict in how tests are done. What happens here is experience from different people. That's pretty similar to asking "How many bottles of water do you need for a 40km hike / run" ... without defining, speed, weight, temperature, and many other things, the answers aren't comparable.
All good points ... but don't forget these motors most likely take around 3000 miles to fully break in and begin to make Max power/compression.
MPG should go UP as motor begins to make full power.

Notice Mark's MPG numbers went UP towards the end of his ride.

The other thing I'd ask of new owners: Have you used Synthetic oil from new? Because if you are ... I still believe you're motor will not make full power which will not optimize fuel economy. In fact, with Syn oil it may never break in 100%. I would never switch to Synthetic before 5000 miles minimum. YMMV, IMHO ... BTW ... this is a 100,000 mile motor easily.
Remember ... it's all Japanese parts.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #100
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
All good points ... but don't forget these motors most likely take around 3000 miles to fully break in and begin to make Max power/compression.
I don't buy it. Modern engines are build to such tight specs, if they change mileage over time, something is wrong with them.

Most of the "change over a few thousand miles break-in" happens in the riders mind and behavior. You learn to ride the bike in the way that this bike likes most as it feels most comfortable and "just right". I my opinion that is about 90% of any change other than a bit of oil consumption (which is normally also more attributed to type of riding than to break-in, lots of short rides with cold engine - more oil burned).

People are attributing their on perception and behavior change to break-in instead of seeing that these "break-in" much easier than an engine that is build to incredibly tight specs and doesn't change much over a few thousand miles, while the mind and body can be fooled within minutes.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #101
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:

Notice Mark's MPG numbers went UP towards the end of his ride.

The other thing I'd ask of new owners: Have you used Synthetic oil from new? Because if you are ... I still believe you're motor will not make full power which will not optimize fuel economy. In fact, with Syn oil it may never break in 100%. I would never switch to Synthetic before 5000 miles minimum. YMMV, IMHO ... BTW ... this is a 100,000 mile motor easily.
Remember ... it's all Japanese parts.
My bike was delivered with a synthetic blend. The dealer replaced the blend with full synthetic at 500 miles.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #102
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Fairly easy. Different riders, meaning different weight and different height, means different aerodynamics.
I should have mentioned that I'm 6'4"/260 -- hardly the best body shape for fuel efficiency!

Quote:
The other thing I'd ask of new owners: Have you used Synthetic oil from new? Because if you are ... I still believe you're motor will not make full power which will not optimize fuel economy.
Good point. I changed the factory break-in oil at 150 miles and replaced it with dino oil (motorcycle-specific). Changed it again at 400 miles with semi-synth. Switched to full-synth at just under 1500 miles, but only because I was about to leave on a 4000+ mile trip. That oil is still in the bike and will get changed in a week or two.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #103
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
I should have mentioned that I'm 6'4"/260 -- hardly the best body shape for fuel efficiency!

Good point. I changed the factory break-in oil at 150 miles and replaced it with dino oil (motorcycle-specific). Changed it again at 400 miles with semi-synth. Switched to full-synth at just under 1500 miles, but only because I was about to leave on a 4000+ mile trip. That oil is still in the bike and will get changed in a week or two.

--mark
Well... where is your ride report?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #104
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Many new vehicles come with 100% synthetic oil. (Hell - my pressure washer even specifies 0-30 synthetic) Not sure changing to Syn oil at 500 mi will cause rings not to seat. At least i've never seen any hard data on that for modern engines.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #105
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
This is what I'm getting after 6 fills and a little less than 2'000 km on the clock:

US MPG

UK MPG

METRIC

Breakdown information can be found here: Birdy's Fuelly For Tiger 800xc
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote