User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,720
Spring Camping Trip to Hunting Island State Park and Ride Through Southern SC

Well I got home with a couple unexplained bruises. I'm sure the rum had nothing to do with that. Wait.....I mean delicious juice we were drinking.

Let me start from the beginning..........

The weather forecast for the weekend got worse every time I looked at it. Going from 30% chance of T-storms to 60% chance with very strong winds and possible large hail.... so I stopped checking it.

After checking in and setting up camp a few of us ventured back into town for dinner at Outback we were really roughing it. More like giving the waitress a rough time. She started by dumping a glass of water on boybrushedplad. Next, she offered him a pair of dry pants she had in the back. Then, she proceeded to laugh saying she had none. Every time she returned she was sent for something else. Poor thing. To top it off caycek5 set a trap for the bus boy. Something like this but with forks and full glasses of water.Photobucket Photobucket

Apparently rmb has some tricks/traps he knows how to leave also. He told us of one not to be tried on a table with a table cloth. Ask him how he knows.

After dinner bikes were traded in the parking lot. I learned I didn't want a KLR. And BBP learned that if he had a SV650 he would be lane splitting, doing wheelies and all kinds of fun stuff.

We split ways with Draechon as he went to "meet up" with a girl....ahem... he knows. The rest of us returned to camp for some juice drinking down at camp 199 with Rocky and his pole crew. I mean whole crew. Some had more juice than others. I've never seen anyone drink as much juice as quickly as Gdawg did. Then he and caycek5's wives showed up. I can't tell you a whole lot after that.....

It rained at some point in the night but the sky was surprisingly clear in the morning.

GOOD MORNING SALUTE
Photobucket
Where were my keys all night? In my bike? I'm glad none of the raccoons rode off on it.

After a hearty breakfast of pancakes, fresh picked strawberries, meatless sausage, some hot coffee and a couple of Aleve we started gearing up. Photobucket

With the storm a brewing Rocky, Stacy, and Jimmy stayed to play on the beach. We hung out for rmarkr. He arrived, dropped some gear at rvrhwki's site and we headed out.

The first stop was Fort Freemont. Just a few miles down the road. We quickly learned that our route had a few more U-turns than we remembered planning but we got there.
http://www.sciway.net/hist/fort-frem...na-island.html
It was a pretty cool spot, with wifi, so we could get a little of the history from the above link to share with everyone along with a few cool pics.Photobucket

Photobucket
rmarkr top
boybrushedplad and caycek5 bottoms

Photobucket

more to come....
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

I'm back from my hiatus, so..... where were we?

Just leaving Fort Freemont with this motley crew I believe.
Photobucket

We made it about 100 yards before rmb aka "domino" needed a break.

Photobucket

always laying around

Photobucket

After his quick respite we were off to The ruins of The Chapel of Ease, Lady’s Island where my bike found religion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next stop Old Sheldon Church Ruins

Photobucket

rvrhwki gave a history lesson that I missed and caycek5 would not repeat so I can't tell you about that. Thanks guys..

Photobucket

draechon worked on his six pack

Photobucket

Then we were off to Bennet's Point where we found a locked gate, well it wasn't locked so much as wrapped with a chain so we let ourselves in. Some more prudent than others stayed behind. This road is always saturated muddy and slippery. Guaranteed for a good picture. Except today was the first time I had ever seen it dry so no muddy pics as hoped for.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Then we were off to lunch via some random dirt roads. I managed to hold everyone up.

Photobucket

We had lunch at Josie's in Yemassee, sorry no pics. Outbackdave joined up with the crew to break bread. It was nice meeting another fellow ADVer and FF. The only time it rained was while we were inside. Someone noticed and everyone scrambled outside to get their helmets. After lunch, we decided that we had pushed our luck with the storms that day and headed back to Hunting Island. On the way draechon and caycek5 admitted that they like fishdicks...
Photobucket

Upon returning we stopped by the infamous site 199 aka center of all debauchery where we noticed they had a nice pile of fire wood. They told of of an abandoned pile at another site that they "borrowed" it from. We decided to "borrow" some too.

Third place went to caycek5 and Scooty Puff Sr. Here's Ryan consoling his bike.
Photobucket

Second place went to rvrhwki and his 650 with "electric start"
Photobucket

First place goes to ATGATT boybrushedplad on his KLR

Photobucket

Yes I know it's sideways...notice the footwear.

Here's Misty making ANOTHER AWESOME MEAL!!! We all can't say enough thanks to Misty and Gerald for catering
Photobucket
Here she was preparing haystacks. Essentially a taco salad of sorts broken down and delicious! Start with a base of Frito's. Then add some chili on top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, sour cream and I think that about covers it. There was enough for everyone to have seconds too. I think a couple of people went back for thirds even.

BTW if you didn't know everything was meatless and if you weren't told you probably didn't know!

Time for more [I]juice[I] and tall tales.
Photobucket
Photobucket
caycek5 very focused
Photobucket
Here's Jimmy, at least I think its Jimmy, he looks just like that other guy Rocky... after a little rum or a lot of rum you try telling them apart. He looks like he's had a lot. I wonder who he thinks I am right now.
Photobucket
Now, here's Rocky with his wife StacyPhotobucketI told you they look alike. They even have on the same outfit to confuse you more.

J/k here's Rocky
Photobucket
He claims to be better looking, bigger (not going there), but has a smaller bike (nor there).

How old are you?
Photobucket

If you ever wondered what hammock camping was like....
Photobucket

The next morning we broke down camp after another awesome meal from Misty and the crew that pitched in to help her.
Photobucket

Photobucket

We rode out as a group over to the Light House on Hunting Island for a couple of photos
Photobucket
Photobucket

All I can say is thanks for that Keith
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Here are some other noteworthy pictures

Photobucket
Photobucket

all juice up and nowhere to brush
Photobucket

some of the wildlife
Photobucket
Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
kalonji OP
nihilism or nothing

Here's a link to the full thread. Others have included their pics as well. The latter pages have turned into planning for the next trip. Depending on when you maybe reading this the thread may have turned into multiple trips. Currently, to give some perspective, its around 9 pages. I hope you enjoyed our little trip. Feel free to join us on our next one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640038