User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
KLR PNW Day Trip - Farmers and Indians

Took my longest ride yet on my KLR. It was short for most of you guys, but I'm new to this Adv riding thing, and 195 miles sure seems like a long ride to me. Not sure how "Adventure Riding" is different than touring, other than I hit the dirt (literally), stopped at any sites I found interesting, and don't ride a crusier.

Route: Basically rode from my house in SW Portland, Oregon, and rode hwy 99 to Newberg then cut over to smaller roads workign my way down to Corvallis Oregon. Purpose for the trip was to attend a vintage motorcycle show in Corvallis this past weekend. I can provide exact routes if anybody cares, but generally just kept it pointing in the right direction, give or take 90 degrees.

Bike: Black 09 KLR 650 with modest farkles. You can figure it out from the pictures. One farkle not done, but NOW on order is a Sargent seat. I'm sure you can guess why.

Outside of Newberg grabbed a little history of the general area. Thank God spring is finally here.

Near Salem saw that the Willamette river was real close to the highway and thought maybe a dirt road I passed would lead down to it. 10 minutes of dirt riding ended when I tried crossing a couple of deep ruts and put my foot down on "air", and not ground. Great, first drop of the day. Man those KLR's are heavy, no damage done other than my pride and some paint on crash bars.

More farm country riding. Here's crop I enjoy almost every day, anyone recognize it?

Got to the bike show in Corvallis and enjoying the Indians.

Also drooling over a NICE Vincent.

Just finished reading "Big Sids Vincati", and although it isnt' this bike, it's cool to see another take on a Vincent and Ducati love child.

Wouldn't be a dual sport ride without some loose gravel. My bike sure feels squirrely on this stuff. Maybe time to rething the tires (running stockers still)

Took many stops, mostly to check stuff out, and partially relieve my backside. Here's one quiet little county park I found that had a nice creek. Hung out here for a bit fiddling with my Camera and just chillin with nature.

Of course it wouldn't be Oregon without a rain shower or two. The Killimanjaro kept me dry, but probably could have used the liner as well.

Overall a pretty nice ride. Don't do a lot of travelling in the central Willamette Valley, but it sure is pretty this time of year. Was nice to get out there and open the KLR up a bit. Also was a bit of a shakedown ride for some longer tours I'd like to do out and around Oregon later this summer. Next trip will be an overnighter somewhere to get my packing and camping set-up refined.

Planning on lots of rides this summer, mostly somewhat local (Oregon/Washington). Mainly interested in getting off the beaten path and camp, fish and see sights. If you're in this area and up for weekend MC adventures drop me a PM.

-= Scott

Scott_PDX screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 11:25 AM
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Nice ride report and great pictures. Like you, I'm new to the long distance rides and 195miles would be a good ride for me.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Seeing the rain photos actually makes me miss living in Oregon.

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 547
Yup, tires are the best thing you can do for the bike. Michelin T63 or Dunlop 606 would be good. I've got 3200 miles on my rear T63 and it's still going, pretty much only good for street duty now. I have a set of pure street tires coming for a few road only trips. Never liked the concept of 50/50 tires, they seem to just suck at everything. I can still lean the bike all the way over with knobbies, and the patches of sand on pavement are much less squirrely than with street tires.