ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Oddometer: 736
Rolling Thunder 2011 & Nat Memorial Parade - Anyone Riding?

Can't seem to find a thread on this, so I'll start one.

Is anyone riding in the Rolling Thunder 2011 parade on Sunday 29 May?

How about the National Memorial Day Parade the next day?

I'd like to ride with some other Dual Sports if possible.

I did check the North Virginia Trail Riders website, but didn't see if they were going this year. Looks like I'd need to joing a registered group to ride.

Thanks,
TWKLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
"A motorcycle in the garage is safe, but that is not what it is made for"
Photo library at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Tumbleweed7/
Tidewater KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

The Washington Area Trail Riders are registered to ride in the National Memorial Day Parade on Monday the 30th and welcome others to join them.

"Please meet us, on Madison Drive NW off Fourth Street NW, NLT 1200 Hours on Monday, 30 May 2011. A sign, "Washington Area Trail Riders" will be staked into the ground near the intersection, indicating our assembly area location.

The producer encourages Veterand and active duty Service Members to wear military uniforms; but if that's inconveninet, let me know and I'll loan you a club jersey (size, please). Jim"

I can provide Jim's email/phone number if you need to borrow a club jersey.

I'll be in my ODUs.

Tidewater KLR
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,801
Veteran and son ride in 2010 National Memorial Day Parade:

(Photo by Paul McNaughten)

The Washington Area Trail Riders invite Veterans and active duty/reserve component riders of dual-sport and dirt bike motorcycles to join us in the National Memorial Day Parade.

Wearing of military uniforms is encouraged.

Distinguishing the National Memorial Day Parade (sponsored by the American Veterans Center) from Rolling Thunder, the Parade is held on Monday, May 30, while the Rolling Thunder event is held on Sunday, May 29.

The Parade, with over 100 units, is held on the National Mall, down Constitution Avenue before hundreds of thousands of spectators, and will be televised nationally. The Washington Area Trail Riders unit is the first off-road motorized unit participating in the National Memorial Day Parade; 2011 marks the club's fourth appearance in the event.

Here's a copy of an E-mail message sent to club members:

-----------------------

Dear Parade Participants:

Just got the word on our assembly area for the 2011 National Memorial Day Parade:

We're # 92 in the marching order; assemble on Madison Drive, NW; enter from 4th Street NW.

You'll see a sign staked in the ground where our unit will meet on Madison Drive.

Plan to arrive before noon; leave time to park your truck and/or trailer and return before 12:00; street closing begins around that time and you may get stranded/isolated from the event, if caught up in the parade traffic pattern.

We will have a limited number of parking permits; commercial parking and shuttling will be arranged on-site for those needing this accommodation.

Bring riding gear; jersey (let me know if you need a loaner), and your machine.

[Veterans and Service Members are encouraged to wear military uniforms; contact me if instead you need a loaner jersey; size, please.]

Two-strokers, please use low-smoke oil, and--let's keep noise discipline as best we can, in consideration of the other Parade participants and the spectators.

We'll have drinks and snacks available in the Motorcycle Factory, Inc. side-by-side; wouldn't hurt to have your own rations on-board your machine, as though you were taking a ride on a hot day.

We again welcome the Family Off-road Riders of Prince William County, joining us in this positive public image of off-road riding.

AMA Washington Representative Rick Podliska, and AMA Grassroots Coordinator Jessica Irving are also invited to ride with us.

See you Monday morning, May 30, 2011, on the National Mall!

Washington Area Trail Riders Parade Marshal

-----------------------------------

Glad to have Veterans and Service Members join in this tribute to America's fallen heroes.

PM me with any questions about Parade participation.

__._,_.___

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 09:41 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,448
A small group of us are leaving WV on Sat. and camping at Prince William Forest Park in Mannasas. Riding on Sun in Rolling Thunder and returning home on Mon. Using RT 33 all the way to Winchester.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
I know this will not go over well here but I am going to write it anyway.

We do not need any more asswipes with straight pipes. It is already too noisy that weekend.

If you have a quiet bike, maybe you can persuade the pirates with noisy exhausts to stay home.

And, while I am at it, how does your noisy parade help anybody?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post

It is already too noisy that weekend.
I'm not entirely sure whom you're addressing, Riteris.

The riders in the National Memorial Day Parade, on Monday, May 30, 2011, this year, exercise noise and smoke discipline.

This parade unit has been referred to as, "Rolling Whisper."

Regardless, I confine my remarks to those paying tribute to America's fallen patriots in the National Memorial Day Parade on Memorial Day itself.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Riteris, I sense a lack of understanding and tolerance. I suggest you read up on Rolling Thunder if you have not;

http://www.rollingthundermotorcycler...d=48&Itemid=55

It is a POW/MIA focused event coordinated by a national organization that culminates Memorial Day Weekend in DC at the Vietnam Memorial. There is a massive amount of fund raising and awareness of the remaining POW/MIA issues going on during the thousands of events held across the country in association with this.

As for the loud pipes, it's America. It's the sound of freedom for many, but more importantly, the thousands of motorcycles riding in from across this country to join and ride through the captitol together provide a loud voice for our silent service members that have not come home and is intended to honor both them and thier families.

As for the Monday parade, that is to honor all Veterans. It is solemn, respectful, and typically quiet. There is a parade in just about every region of this fine country. I invite you to attend one and watch as 80+ year old veterans rise to salute the flag they fought to defend, some fighting just to stand, others unable too, but all thankful for another day to pay thier respects to Old Glory. They salute each and every American Flag that passes in review, as should be done by everyone, it is a showing of Patriotism and dedication that moves me every time I see it.

Those that chose to participate in a Veteran's event of any sort are honoring the men and women that have provided the blanket of freedom enjoyed here in the USA today.

This is my 30th year on Active Duty, lot's of time away from home, but no time in an active combat zone. I too owe a debt of gratitude to those soldiers and sailors, young and old, that have paid dearly for my freedom.

I also enjoy riding my bike in a parade once a year and the spectators seem to enjoy seeing us. Come on out and give it a try.

TW
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

We do not need any more asswipes with straight pipes. It is already too noisy that weekend.

If you have a quiet bike, maybe you can persuade the pirates with noisy exhausts to stay home.

And, while I am at it, how does your noisy parade help anybody?
Meet me in the Pentagon parking lot---I'll give you a pair of earplugs.......

Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
I'm not entirely sure whom you're addressing, Riteris.

The riders in the National Memorial Day Parade, on Monday, May 30, 2011, this year, exercise noise and smoke discipline.

This parade unit has been referred to as, "Rolling Whisper."

Regardless, I confine my remarks to those paying tribute to America's fallen patriots in the National Memorial Day Parade on Memorial Day itself.

Okay, maybe I am confused then.

Who are all the yahoos with straight pipes that I see riding around Washington, Dc on Memorial Day weekend? Why are they in town other than, seemingly to make a lot of noise and parade around like pirates?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
Meet me in the Pentagon parking lot---I'll give you a pair of earplugs.......

If the people with straight pipes would stay in the DOD parking lot, I would not have an issue and would not need earplugs. When they go riding around making noise throughout the city it gets rather disturbing.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Riteris
Dessert Runner

[QUOTE=Tidewater KLR;15923211]Riteris, I sense a lack of understanding and tolerance. I suggest you read up on Rolling Thunder if you have not;

http://www.rollingthundermotorcycler...d=48&Itemid=55

It is a POW/MIA focused event coordinated by a national organization that culminates Memorial Day Weekend in DC at the Vietnam Memorial. There is a massive amount of fund raising and awareness of the remaining POW/MIA issues going on during the thousands of events held across the country in association with this.

As for the loud pipes, it's America. It's the sound of freedom for many, but more importantly, the thousands of motorcycles riding in from across this country to join and ride through the captitol together provide a loud voice for our silent service members that have not come home and is intended to honor both them and thier families.

Noise only offends the innocent in this situation and does more to alienate people rather than ingratiate, IMO. How about respecting the wishes of others and keep it quiet and respectful?

As for the Monday parade, that is to honor all Veterans. It is solemn, respectful, and typically quiet. There is a parade in just about every region of this fine country. I invite you to attend one and watch as 80+ year old veterans rise to salute the flag they fought to defend, some fighting just to stand, others unable too, but all thankful for another day to pay thier respects to Old Glory. They salute each and every American Flag that passes in review, as should be done by everyone, it is a showing of Patriotism and dedication that moves me every time I see it.

Those that chose to participate in a Veteran's event of any sort are honoring the men and women that have provided the blanket of freedom enjoyed here in the USA today.

This is my 30th year on Active Duty, lot's of time away from home, but no time in an active combat zone. I too owe a debt of gratitude to those soldiers and sailors, young and old, that have paid dearly for my freedom.

I also enjoy riding my bike in a parade once a year and the spectators seem to enjoy seeing us. Come on out and give it a try.

[SIZE="6"] EDIT HERE: I see my font size was taken as shouting. That was not my intent but could have been taken that way, possibly as a response to the straight pipes.

I have been there and seen your "tribute." I still fail to see how one weekend of noise does anything to help or praise veterans. Why not organize a noisefest in your own neighborhood and keep my neighborhood quiet and respectful on an important holiday?

Riteris screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 12:32 PM
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, maybe I am confused then.
Perhaps so, and I doubt my response is useful.

If you want to rant on Rolling Thunder, or on the National Memorial Day Parade, freedom of speech holds sway.

Hard to explain, but the thread and its title discuss two separate events.

Dumping upon a Service Member who wants to ride in both these events, by the way on a quiet KLR650, in this thread, serves no obvious purpose to me.

I assume you intend riding in neither; your choice. You ask what "good" a parade might do; the same question might apply to your critical post.

I'd suggest you start a separate thread criticizing the events and riding behavior you find offensive; the OP merely asked who intended riding in events over which he has no control. Calling him out for the nature of the events you find offensive attacks the wrong target, IMHO. Go after the event sponsors, the only ones empowered to change things.

Regardless, if you'd like to observe Memorial Day with the Washington Area Trail Riders, PM me. I'll gladly loan you a club jersey for the ride. You're sincerely welcome to join us, riding down the National Mall in Washington, DC, as thousands cheer!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

Oh, I missed the yelling up there. Geez. guess I hit a button. I'm not an organizer or responsible for anything other than my own participation.
Rolling Thunder related events are running all weekend, just think of the money they are adding to the local economy.

I understand the frustration about straight pipes, as does the AMA. The new sound level test is a step in the right direction, but at this rate it seems it will be decades before "loud pipes save lives" is replaced by something a bit more socially responisble, and I certainly don't support an outright ban on any exhaust modifications. But the issue is important and is not helping bridge the gap between motorcyclists and the general public.

I'm going to be on my quiet stock piped KLR650. I want to do this at least once, see how it goes. Ear plugs are a must for the event. I think the weather is going to cooperate. I've ridden in big groups before and it can be a little nerve racking. For anyone contemplating riding, the Ride of the Patriots is a ride to the Pentagon from Patriot Harley in Fairfax that is pretty well organized and the website has some good info about preparations and riding safely in the mob. http://www.dwcllcsolutions.com/rop/default.asp

I'm sure there are a bunch of other rides to the pentagon as well, that's all I was really asking about. Sometimes these threads take on a life of thier own.
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure

Tidewater KLR screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 12:16 PM
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

I have never ridden in Rolling Thunder but I will this year, either on my quiet 1150GS or my quiet 1100RT. One weekend out of 52 and you complain. Go down to the DOD parking lot and complain. Good luck with that. Most of those folks are vets or the family of a vet.......
I'm from Louisville, KY and used to live 3 blocks from Churchill Downs. I never was too much into horse racing so on Derby Day we went to the country and got out of that mess. Maybe you could do that too. Just sayin'.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Tidewater KLR OP
High Speed Hiker

So when I say I have a tendency to step on "landmines" this thread is exactly what I mean.

Not sure how I became the front man for the whole weekend operation but it is what it is. With my new powers I will see if I can expand the route to utilize more of the PUBLIC streets in D.C. to bring more awareness to the cause. For now I can get that Big gun exhaust on order, fedex of course, I wouldn't want to dissapoint.

Thanks for the kind comments in my defense XDR, and enjoy the camping BB.

Looks like I have a KLR buddy coming into town that would like to meet up with me.

TW
Tidewater KLR IBA#58468
2003 KLR650 "Fu Manchu"
2012 DL650 Adventure