Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #151
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
Silverwing or Burg depends on a couple of things. What you plan to do with it and how strong you feel these days. I've owned about 4 Silverwings and also owned a B'Man 650 for about a year. I've toured on both and used both around town. The following is all my opinion and others will vary.

The B'man is 60% motorcycle - 40% scooter. The Swing 60% scooter-40% motorcycle. Meaning if you want more motorcycle feel - go B'Man. The B'man, while only a few pounds heaver and a few cc's larger FEELS heavier and stronger. So, for a touring machine, no question I would go B'Man. BUT, I don't tour that much - spend more time around town so for me, hands down the Silverwing is my choice. Getting on/off, parking, moving it around a garage when it isn't running all are much easier on a Silverwing. Yet, all that said, touring on the Silverwing is very easy too.

The maintenance issue is something I can't address for a B'man as I didn't have it long enough to do much but change the oil. The S"wing I've maintained a lot and it is pretty easy to do. I am in the market for another Silverwing and hope to find one soon.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #152
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I am holding out to see what the new BMW offerings actually are and hope to do a demo ride soon.
The C/650 GT has my attention but being old and conservative I will wait to hear what the early adopters have to say,

I came very close to pulling the trigger on a new Burgman,

I read that they have some high speed ( freeway ) handling issues.

So decided on an old airhead BMW in the mean time. ( at least I understand them and can keep one on the road)
It's a sweet old thing but i'm getting on in years and winding down from motorcycles, so i think one of the new step through super scooters is on the horizon.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #153
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
. . .
I came very close to pulling the trigger on a new Burgman,

I read that they have some high speed ( freeway ) handling issues.

. . .
First I've heard THAT! My experience is that the B'n 650 gets better as the speed increases.

Australian riders really have to break the law for full benefit 'though, since our common open road limit is 100km/h (62 mph). When one gets to 130km/h the big Burger really starts to shine.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #154
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
First I've heard THAT! My experience is that the B'n 650 gets better as the speed increases.

Australian riders really have to break the law for full benefit 'though, since our common open road limit is 100km/h (62 mph). When one gets to 130km/h the big Burger really starts to shine.
When I test rode the 2008 Burgman I was impressed with how stable it was. I took it up to 95 as indicated on the speedo and it never seemed to be anything but rock solid - and that was on a windy day with a crosswind. More stable feeling than the Silverwing. Since I don't know if there is any error in it take it with a grain of salt. My overall impression is the Burgman has more power than the Silverwing - both seem to handle well. I'm leaning towards the Burgman but I do like the ease of servicing the Silverwing since I'll be doing most of it myself. Tire changes I'll leave to the trained guys at the dealer.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #155
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Question Easier Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
.. but I do like the ease of servicing the Silverwing since I'll be doing most of it myself....
Can't say that I've looked into servicing the Silverwing much, but the Burgman doesn't seem all that bad.
What are the advantages?
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #156
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

'How to work on your Burgman' information available at-

LeDude's Burgman Center

I'll be using his suggestions for rear wheel removal very soon . . . . . I'm up for a new rear.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #157
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
In 2005 my girlfriend decided to get a scooter to ride with me on trips. I went with her and rode the Magisty 400, Honda Silverwing, and Burgman 650 and 400. The objective was to get the best all around scooter for tight winding roads, but be very capable on the interstate at 65-70mph. These were my findings:
The Magisty was a dog all the way around.

Honda SW handled great, had good power, but lacked good wind protection on the highway.

Burgman 650 had great wind protection, comfortable, REAL POWER, relaxed on interstate, handled fine in the mountains, but not as well as the SW.

Burgman 400 had better wind protection than the SW but not quite as good as the 650 Burg, handled almost as well as the SW, the useable power is not far off the SW but not in the ball park of the 650 Burg. At that time the 400Burg was $2,000 less than the SW and almost $2,500 less than the 650. To me the advantages of the 2 bigger scooter did not justify the price diffence. She got the 400 Burgman and loves it.

I have 40,000 miles on it now, yes me! I love the thing and ride it more than my other bikes. It tours better than my sport bike and handles better than my touring bike. I just got back from a long weekend ride of 735 miles that consisted of 50/50 mountains and highway and yes I could have done it on any of my other bikes and enjoyed it, but I would not have gotten 65-70 mpg doing it. A Maxi scooter is at its best when used as a utility vehical, because lets face it, you can get alot of motorcycle for the price of any of these things especially the 600 and 650. If it wasn't for the ease of carrying things, wind protection and they are easy to ride, I wouldn't own one. I tried to talk her out of it, but I am glad she did not listen!

FYI- I have heard alot of people claim that the SW and the T-max are as fast as the 650 Burgman. In a straight line it will leave them both behind and keep pulling on them. With the right rider on the 650 in the twistys, they still can't keep up, that power makes up for some of its short comings!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #158
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
This one, because it doubles as carry-on luggage for airline travel.

(Just kidding, I have no idea if an airline would take it.)
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #159
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
This one, because it doubles as carry-on luggage for airline travel.

(Just kidding, I have no idea if an airline would take it.)
You would be required to remove the battery, and drain all lubricants and the fuel. Just as one would with any other "FoldAway", such as the Centaur:

Centaur Fold Up Motor Scooter from the sixties.

The CENTAUR Folding Motor Scooter
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #160
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 324
I've owned both the SW and the B650. Over the course of the last 10 months I have thinned my herd. I sold several bikes including a VT1100 Tourer, a 96 Goldwing 1500, a 2008 Goldwing 1800 and a 2006 Harley Street Glide. I am left with the 2009 B650. I just can't see myself going back to a traditional motorcycle at this point. This bike will do anything I ask of it. It and the SW600 are both capable of doing anything I would ask of any cycle. I just happen to prefer the extra glove box storage, wind protection and power of the B650 over the Swing. A fellow riding buddy has just turned 50K miles on his 2006 B650 without a hitch in any way mechanically and It has NOT been babied in any way other than timely maintenance.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #161
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
All these comments are very encouraging, thanks !!

I am currently dealing with a few drive line problems on my 1985 BMW R80,once it is sorted I will make a decision whether to sell it and buy a Burgman or maybe wait a bit for the new BMW C650GT.

Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #162
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I own the Tmax I ride with a friend that rides the 650 Burgman, YES! the Burgman is faster, but the Tmax has better acceleration from a dead stop, only because his Burgman has a long throttle delay, on the highway I can cruise with him at 80 mph, but when we get crazy he has a higher top speed and I can't catch him past 100 mph, but on the twisty back roads he can't catch or keep up with me, he also seems to have a problem going down steep mountain roads at a fast pace, don't know if its him or his scooter. We do switch scooters sometimes, to me the Burgman makes it hard to see the road and it feels heavy, it has a more comfortable ride like a lounge chair, to him he says my Tmax feels like riding a dirt bike and he says he has a feeling of falling off when riding it, but we generally respect each others scooter. I know his Burgman eats up tires where he is always replacing them and my factory tires on my Tmax are like new, I think its because its a much smaller diameter tire and he doesn't keep the air pressure up, I go 4 psi over with 45 psi rear and 37 front. The Burgman gas mileage is better and he has 3 times more storage space under his seat, but I run my Tmax hard and that effects gas mileage (smaller engine working harder kills gas mileage)
I understand nobody could buy a Tmax even if they wanted one and there are lots of Burgmans at dealers,,, its fun owning one when there all so few out there.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #163
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Competition and improving the breed

Here's hoping that competition may improve the breed. My meaning is that Yamaha and Suzuki respond by producing future Tmax and Burgman models that redress current shortcomings.
Since I'm a Burgman Exec owner, I'll stick to that-

Priority upgrades by order of importance:

First off its a tie for Lower Weight and Better Handling. On the latter its competition from both Yamaha & BMW that the Burgy trails NOW!

Second. There's a very good case for having a true Neutral in the transmission. (Extra marks for Reverse Too!)

Third. Improvements to Screen and Dash. The dash gets very wet during riding when its raining. Can be difficult to read through the water, and when the sun is behind rider's head.

Fourth. Better foot pads for the pillion passenger.

Fifth. The Centrestand can do with an upgrade. Adjustable for height? Cam-action on the feet like seventies BMWs & Moto Guzzis?

(More of an also 'would be good' but Push-out Body Panel section, to the Left & Right, for sidecar attachment. Come-on Suzuki, become a leader!)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #164
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I actually like the weight of the Burgman. It's the weight plus the power that give it the kind of stability that makes it a good touring bike. Too light, and wind makes the ride less stable and less comfortable.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #165
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Genuine Buddy 50cc

its 2T touring goodness