ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Where and When?
Weekend of June 24- stay at Table Rock 2 18.18%
Weekend of June 24- stay at Iron Horse 8 72.73%
Weekend of June 24- stay first day at TR, then go to IH 1 9.09%
Weekend of June 17 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 1 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 8 2 18.18%
Weekend of July 15 0 0%
Weekend of July 22 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #16
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
there is no shortage of good roads for sure. if i'm not mistaken, hwy 215, although a fun road, road condition is far from good. it's ok, but that glued together rock stuff. if i'm thinking of the same road, it was hard to tell the solid road from the loose stuff...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
215 is fixed

Gerald, HWY 215 was recently paved and in fantastic shape .

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

nice
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #19
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post
I'd be in for the ride but won't be able to make it that weekend, so I voted the 17th or the 8th. I've got some route info and am actually headed that way this weekend. Just click on the larger image link to see the full route bits.

The Blue Ridge Parkway Loop - 168 miles mostly scenic and relaxed pace but some technical aspects. You could keep 276 but I would recommend taking a left on 215 North to the BRP.

View Larger Map
A variation on the previously posted route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.362206&z=12

Adds miles but picks up some really nice roads. It didn't want to embed properly so I just posted the link. Anyone who'd like to fix it and embed feel free.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Just wanted to put out there the Parkway has a strictly enforced speed limit of 45mph. KG you might want to find out how understanding those guys are about speeding on there roads. I am sure there stories to tell. I have heard there are stories of tickets in the $800 range. But I am sure they are streaching the truth.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
Chuckles_5.0
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm poor AND super busy so once we set a date I can figure out if I can go. I'd love to get some mountain roads under my belt.
Chuckles_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
Just wanted to put out there the Parkway has a strictly enforced speed limit of 45mph. KG you might want to find out how understanding those guys are about speeding on there roads. I am sure there stories to tell. I have heard there are stories of tickets in the $800 range. But I am sure they are streaching the truth.
What are you trying to say Joe? I've ridden on the BRP and somehow managed to not get a ticket. I'm not interested in finding out how understanding they are about speeding on their roads. I might run a bit over the limit sometimes but I'm no rice rocket squid. But thanks.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #23
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

A little over willl get you lit up. Ask me, I know. Got stopped on the Pee Dee bridge at 74mph. Two weeks ago they wouldn't stop you for 80, he'll they wouldn't have even been there.
They are targeting two wheelers. FACT they are looking for liscence violations and paperwork. First hand knowledge.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #24
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
A little over willl get you lit up. Ask me, I know. Got stopped on the Pee Dee bridge at 74mph. Two weeks ago they wouldn't stop you for 80, he'll they wouldn't have even been there.
They are targeting two wheelers. FACT they are looking for liscence violations and paperwork. First hand knowledge.
74 on the PDRiver bridge is 14 over. That is 5 over my comfort zone. I run 9 miles over pretty much all the time even during my 800mi weekly route. Well, except for work zones, I got a warning by SCHP a month ago in a work zone. If you're not 10 over or "attracting attention", they won't take the time or the risk to pull you. Sorry you got a performance award but don't come down on me because of it. Why don't you give me a call if you want to discuss it further.

Sorry for the hijack everybody.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #25
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,910
Local perspective

You're not going to be able to do a lot of high speed riding on the routes outlined so far. Not because of the LEOs in general but mostly because of the heavy tourist traffic. Hwy 276, Hwy 64 and Hwy 28 can be really good rides but in the summer, you're going to find yourself following slower riders on cruisers or RVs or that family from South Miami. Mid week doesn't seem to matter much as far as the TOURONS go. Now don't get me wrong. I don't like to ride fast (I ride a KLR for goodness sake) But I hate having to ride someone's bumper at 25mph for 20 miles. The roads like Walnut Creek Rd and Cullowhee Mtn Rd as suggested by Whitebread 117 are your best bet to have the road to yourself. TOURONS are not on these roads.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #26
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
But I hate having to ride someone's bumper at 25mph for 20 miles.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Not trying to come down on any one. I was just wanting to see if we can get any response from the local inmates in the mountins. Locals always know the better roads, the roads google won't show up untill you are on the road.
If anyone was thinking I was going after any one I wasn't. I lived n Banner Elk in 88-89 and still know roads in the area. But things have changed alot since then.
If any locals in the mountins of NC want to give pointers please speek up.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #28
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Yup, thanks to whitebread and JWB for the tips.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #29
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
-bump

do we only have 4 people to show up at any given time?
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #30
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

The way things are at work keep me from making plans more than about 4 days out right now. I would like to say yes for any of those weekends but I won't know untill Wed. or Thurs. before the weekend.