ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Where and When?
Weekend of June 24- stay at Table Rock 2 18.18%
Weekend of June 24- stay at Iron Horse 8 72.73%
Weekend of June 24- stay first day at TR, then go to IH 1 9.09%
Weekend of June 17 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 1 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 8 2 18.18%
Weekend of July 15 0 0%
Weekend of July 22 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #46
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Y'all go ahead and plan for the 24th. I think I'll use my trip to Orlando that weekend to checkoff my first IBA Saddle Sore run. I'll need to put all my planning (and rubber) into that. So, please have fun and be safe. Let me know if I can help with any blacktop route planning. Wes

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #47
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
I still say the 24th. I am still street+ with only a little off-roadability.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #48
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Alright the time is fast approaching and after the State Lunch today in Prosperity- it is officially time to lay down the law.

We will be leaving Friday, June 24th and meeting up at the Iron Horse campground-

it doesn't look like there is any need to make reservations at the campground...

We will have a mix of riders, some looking for dirt, others sticking to the hard stuff

It appears we have locals willing to share knowledge in the dirt- any local knowledge about the streets would be great, too

So!

If you want to come on out and have a good time, then come on out!

Anybody wanting to come up late or whatever, come on-

Rule #1 we don't talk about fight club
Rule #2 we don't talk about fight club
Rule #3 we don't talk about fight club

Rule #4

NO WHINING

boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #49
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

oh yeah, and Kawabunga
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #50
scmax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
border crossing

hey, bbp, nice meeting you (and everyone else) at the state lunch.you can count me in. Now i am still new here, and might get banned from the boards, but I am trailering my sv up , as i have no desire to ride 5 hours of 4 lane on my little sv. I have room for two more bikes if anyone wants to join me.
scmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #51
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Way to take initiative Wes. I'll be there.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #52
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Attention

Update:
I spoke with the people at the resort and I have to make reservations for any/everyone who is going!

Anyone who is going needs to either reserve a spot on your own or send me a pm with your full name (Also- include how many will be in your tent and who those people will be- I need to be able to give the resort a full list of all guests and how/who they will be staying with.) It would also be very helpful if you could include the bike you will be riding and how much dirt you are willing to do and how abusively you will do it.

This is how the schedule will look:

Friday:

Iron Horse closes at 9- we need to be at the facility to check in before then if at all possible, dinner is served at the facility until 8:30

Saturday:

7:30- the resort begins serving breakfast

9:00- kickstands up-

The route is as follows:

(as quoted by Whitebread117 in a pm to me)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.724411&z=11

Leave Iron Horse, a couple miles of scenic 4 lane on 28, then drop down onto Needmore Rd. It has hills and curves, but then drops down along the Little Tennesee River. You ride several miles where you're 2' above the river and 10' away. River is about 100' wide with rocks/rapids/etc. Extremely scenic and you won't find any tourists there. That section of Needmore is gravel for the few miles along the river, but it's extremely mild gravel. Sportbikes and cruisers run down it 30mph no problem.

Then you pick back up on 28 and take it into Franklin, where there's a good opportunity to fuel up and pick up stragglers. I'm not sure what gas is near Iron Horse but that would save people having to go find fuel before the ride.

28/64 east of Franklin to Walnut/Pine Creek Rd up the mountain. Little traffic, good pavement, switchbacks. Skirt the edge of Glenville Lake then back down the mountain via Cullowhee Mtn Rd. Again, awesome road for pavement oriented riders.

Pick up 281/Canada Rd at the end of Cullowhee Mtn and take it over and down to Lake Toxaway and pick back up on Hwy 64 east. Gas is available and there is a small restaurant that overlooks Toxaway falls right on Hwy 64. Screen porch dining and appears to be biker friendly. I've not eaten there so I'll check with JoeWannaB for a better review. That would be approx 3 hours with no stops according to Google Maps. The group's pace will dictate time more than traffic on this section of the ride.

From there head W and pick up 215 north (excellent pavement) up to the Parkway. You'll be hitting the parkway near it's highest point and the views are amazing, but there will be traffic on a Sat so don't expect spirited riding once you get on the Parkway. You will top 6,000' though, so it's a good place to be in the heat of the day

Parkway winds NW to Cherokee for another pit stop/regroup. Then Hwy 19 to Bryson City puts you back at 28 where you started. Once you get on the parkway it'll be mostly scenery - the roads are good but I'm guessing traffic will keep the pace down to a cruise rather than a spirited ride. 19 through Bryson is decent - nothing special, but scenic and keeps you off the 4 lane.

So, at this point you're at marker K, 5.5 hrs riding with no stops according to Google. Depending on what time you actually get there, you can jet west on 19/28 back to Iron Horse if time is running short. Those that want a spirited last run can go 28 south, cross the river on tellico rd, then run back up Needmore the opposite way you came down in the morning. That would add 30-45 minutes depending on the pace and that section of 28 is a good place for the corner carvers to do their thing.

Thank you- Whitebread117!

Sunday:

7:30- breakfast again (or maybe eat somewhere else?)

-Sat. we all rode together (pavement) so Sun. we will be breaking into groups- those who wish to ride pavement, all the power to you, those who are ready to get dirty-- I will show you the path to the darkside- (or rather the locals will)

So, REMEMBER- DO IT NOW

If you are planning to come- send me a pm telling me

• your full name
  • how many/who will be in your tent
  • what bike you are riding and how dirty you are willing to get/how much stuff you are willing to break

lol

Is That Clear???
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #53
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,193
A couple more route suggestions:

1. Since you'll be staying close to Fontana Dam, for those of you who haven't seen it, it is impressive.

2. If you're taking the Parkway over to Cherokee and want to throw in a section of mild scenic gravel, take Heintooga Ridge Rd (becomes Balsam Mountain Road) near milepost 458 off the BRP up Balsam Mountain to Balsam Mountain Campground (twisty pavement to that point), then take Heintooga Round Bottom Road (14 miles of mild one-way gravel) to Big Cove Rd (BIA Hwy 1410) where you'd make a left, then a right on BIA Hwy 441, then a left on US Hwy 441 to go into Cherokee. I actually haven't done this but it's on my bucket list. Maybe check with Whitebread117 on the expected traffic situation on BIA Hwy 1410. Heintooga Round Bottom Rd ought to not have any traffic.

3. If you venture over to the Cherohala Skyway, it'll be cool up there too. FS81 is some mild gravel near there. I try to avoid the Dragon, though, unless it's early morning or late afternoon.

There are tons and tons of good riding in WNC/ETN/NGA! It's hard to decide what to ride for only a day or two.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #54
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Laugh

Mawaslunga or some such.....

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #55
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Threadkilla I saved by Threadkilla II...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #56
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Threadkilla I saved by Threadkilla II...

That title belongs to our dear friend PDRider!

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #57
PeeDeeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4lho View Post
That title belongs to our dear friend PDRider!
Careful. Just mentioning my name may kill the thread.

PeeDeeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #58
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Wouldn't that be Threadkilla Jr.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #59
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

I guess I'll just be Threadkillarette...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #60
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've sent around a storm of PM's-

I'm just trying to get this trip back to the front of everyone's minds. We have a handful of people already committed to come- regardless I'm going to be enjoying a trip up into the mountains in 10 days.