ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Where and When?
Weekend of June 24- stay at Table Rock 2 18.18%
Weekend of June 24- stay at Iron Horse 8 72.73%
Weekend of June 24- stay first day at TR, then go to IH 1 9.09%
Weekend of June 17 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 1 1 9.09%
Weekend of July 8 2 18.18%
Weekend of July 15 0 0%
Weekend of July 22 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #61
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
What's the latest? I'm heading out for a dirt oriented ride Sun morning. If anyone would like to join in, let me know and I will roll west in the a.m. and we can head out from the Iron Horse vicinity. If there's no interest I'll stay on the east end of the forest and explore closer to home.

Last Sunday, just east of Franklin :

Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #62
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
(correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe everyone who has *confirmed* their attendance is going to be limited to mostly pavement-

That being said- we're all big boys and if the others don't mind If I split off- (even if it's just me- idk for sure) I would like to join up if you don't mind driving out the extra distance- I also wouldn't mind meeting up somewhere away from the resort if you want- whatever...

boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #63
Whitebread117
I do what I want

I'll plan the day for the Franklin/Highlands/Sylva triangle and we can modify accordingly depending on what bikes we end up with.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #64
Whitebread117
I do what I want

I'm out for Sat pavement ride. Gotta put in some family time if I'm going to ride dirt all day Sunday.

For those that are interested, plan for Sunday is as follows:

If Winding Stair Rd is open (trying to verify that right now) we'll start out in the Nantahala Gorge, head over winding stair to Tellico Gap, pick up Leatherman Gap to Big Laurel (with an exploratory detour - two small creek crossings and ???? ), down Connely's Creek to Sylva. Pick up Dick's Creek and BRP to Heintooga if time allows. End up in Cherokee worn out after a day of riding with only limited stretches of pavement.

If Winding Stair isn't open we'll meet in Franklin and add a very nice short trail just east of Franklin before heading up Leatherman Gap.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #65
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,886
Y'all have fun and be safe. Take pictures so the rest of us can see what we missed.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #66
TripTheNinja
New to Seattle

Oddometer: 10
New to the group

I've been talking to Whitebread117 on the side. I'm meeting up with him in highlands and will be joining the group. So add one more rider!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #67
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Time for the stories. I have heard some but fill us in on the rest.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #68
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a great time hanging out with these guys- SCMax was kind enough to meet up with me on Friday around 10 to.... ... trailer up

We were hoping to get up there quick enough to do some riding on Friday- but alas upon reaching Iron Horse we were greeted by an onslaught of the wet stuff- That seemed to limit our possible activities pretty heavily so me and SCMax decided to actually take his car out and see the Fontana dam, which I had never seen before- a very impressive sight if I might say so. We got back to Iron horse and guys started showing up- aka- Draechon. Haha- We hung around the lodge waiting on the others- Vmarv and [not affiliated] arrived later that night- We were waiting to see if Mhaas would show up- but I still haven't heard word from him Hope he's ok...
We had a pretty awesome meal at Ironhorse- hung around the lodge a while longer and hit the sack for an early start-

And now I must go to work- I will type more later lol
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #69
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So Saturday morning we got up bright and early- me, SCmax, and Draechon set out on the planned route and Vmarv and [non affiliated] went out on their own. I enjoyed the route we had set up- Cullowee Mtn road had some great curves to it, but I can see how somebody on a sport bike might not have great confidence in the road, as the pavement isn't blimishless- 281 was a very fast paced road- with huge windind turns- I was really starting to get into the lean until I dragged my peg one time and nearly shat myself

SCMax said, "you seemed to slow down a little after that". haha yeah I would say so lol

anyways we started looking for a place to eat around lake Toxacala, we never found the restarant 'on the dam' that was mentioned earlier, but thanks to me we got going the wrong way on 64 and ended up in Cashiers- which was great because we stumbled upon an AWESOME BBQ joint.

So we headed back up 64 and got back on track with the route, 215 was an amazing road with some really tight turns with drastic elevation changes- I thought I was really flying until 2 crotch rockets came blazing past- passing on the double yellow

We get on the parkway and aren't on it long before we find a car that refuses to let the motobikes past- naturally I'm tailing the b*tch when a cop drives right past on our left... Me and SCmax hit the brakes and slow down as the cop comes up on our rear. I begin to pull over to the side, hoping the cop will take this ample space in the road to pass on by and go do some other police buisiness, The cop has his lights on and comes up behing scmax first- passes him, comes up behind me, passes me and goes on to catch the car in front of us

Me and SCmax pull over, Draechon pulls up behind us and is like "whats up?" and we're like "we can't go that way any more- the cops are after us" haha so we take off down 74 and catch back up with 28 back to the campsite.

We actually had ample time left in the day and decided to head on off and go ride the tail of the dragon

We meet up with Vmarv and dave who also rode the dragon ealier that day adn had dinner at ... some place... i dont remember the name- but I deffinatly remember that cute waitress -- I was pretty sure SCmax wasn't going to want anymore company in the cabin so I left her at the restaraunt. lol

We head home- try to find beer- are unnsuccefful as it is a dry county and the one place we knew that sold it was already closed up- then after that everyone headed back to the campsite- except me and Draechon and Vmarv headed up to the Kickstand lodge, just up the road from Iron horse, were I met the owner, Moe, who handed me a beer and went down in the books as a keeper. If I head back up that way The Kickstand is a much more relaxed feel than the Iron Horse and I believe I will be staying there- I mean come on, when somebody just hands you a beer, how CAN'T you like them?? Oh, but if she offers you a pepper, only say yes if you like your mouth to be on fire... like really, don't mess around with those peppers

Alrighty then- all thats left to explain now is the dirt section of the ride- which is pretty well explained here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=700030&page=2

here's a teaser, though:

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #70
scmax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Talking

Had a blast, weather was beautiful, roads were awsome, and the company was great. When is the next trip?
scmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #71
PeeDeeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Joe

Hey.. looks like you guys had a good trip. Sorry I missed it. A buddy and myself rode with Joe a couple of years ago. (Stayed in one of his cabins too.) He really knows where to go.

Hi Joe!

I would like to get back up there. Please shoot me a message if and when another trip is planned.

PeeDeeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #72
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Nice write up Wes. 56 degrees and raining here in Cheboygan. Miserable riding and endless sniffles

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #73
boybrushedplad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad to hear you made it to Michigan, When do I get to see the pictures from this weekend?

Heres the pics I got from Killboy:

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #74
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Sweet! Thanks for finding those. I won't be back around a computer til Sunday or Monday and will probably write a pretty lame report, but will throw the pics In there.

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #75
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Nice lines and leans guys!

Sounds like I missed a good trip. Next time, I'll be there.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote