Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 490
Enduristan Sandstorm 3 tank bag mounting on a F800GS..?

I gave my girlfriend an Enduristan Sandstorm 3 tank bag for Christmas.
She rides a F800GS.
Today we tried to mount it on her bike.

The rear fasteners was simple and easy - not so with the front strap that goes around the steering head.
I can't find a good picture showing how to mount the strap. When I mount it the way I think is right, the buckle that secure the strap to the steering head risk getting pinched when I turn the handlebars all the way to the left.
The strap that goes around the steering head and connects to the bag are fine, it's only the buckle that secure that strap to the bike that is a problem.

Have anyone mounted this bag to a F800GS and if so, could you show me a picture of how you have secured the front strap?

Cheers
Tonny

Don T screwed with this post 01-05-2015 at 01:02 AM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
20Fingers
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 139
Front Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
I gave my girlfriend an Enduristan Sandstorm 3 tank bag for Christmas.
She rides a F800GS.
Today we tried to mount it on her bike.

The rear fasteners was simple and easy - not so with the front strap that goes around the steering head.
I can't find a good picture showing how to mount the strap. When I mount it the way I think is right, the buckle that secure the strap to the steering head risk getting pinched when I turn the handlebars all the way to the left.
The strap that goes around the steering head and connects to the bag are fine, it's only the buckle that secure that strap to the bike that is a problem.

Have anyone mounted this bag to a F800GS and if so, could you show me a picture of how you have secured the front strap?

Cheers
Tonny
Hey Tonny,

There are two openings on the frame bracing near the headset that you can anchor the bag straps to instead of wrapping them around the headtoob, as designed. You might have to alter the straps or create anchor loops from a secondary material such as climbers webbing. I used two small (keychain size) carabiners clipped through the bracing for anchoring the straps, and from what I an see, the Sandstorm bag uses two straps with fast-clips, so you should be able to modify them to use the frame-bracing anchor points.

Run your hand down the sides of the headtoob and back to the frame, you will feel two braces and an opening, cut into the braces to save weight, these are hard t see, but perfect anchor points. I tried to use the headset wrap around, as designed, but the straps interfered with the forks on tight turns, creating a safety issue.

Check out the bracing, am sure you will find them the best place to anchor the front two straps.

Cheers,
MC
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Thank you MC.
It sounds like a good solution - I'll try it out.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Hey Tonny,

Was wondering if you ever got your Enduristan sandstorm 3 mounted? If so, did you figure your own way of making it work, or go with MC's method of installation, which seems workable. I have been running into the same safety issue as you, after buying one from Blackdog. On the Blackdog site, they make no mention of needing to do a modification to mount to the f800GS. But, no doubt, if you go by Enduristan's extremely brief, (non specific) instruction, there is a binding situation which during a ride, could potentially lock the steering one way or the other leading to the inability to freely turn the handlebars. That ain't good and could lead to catastrophe. Love to know if you found a way of making the stock mounting system work. Been messing with it an hour now and am no close to mounting it than when I began. Overall, the bag looks nice out of the box, but I have to give the front mounting system a couple thumbs down when it comes to the f800GS.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
Hey Tonny,

Was wondering if you ever got your Enduristan sandstorm 3 mounted? If so, did you figure your own way of making it work, or go with MC's method of installation, which seems workable. I have been running into the same safety issue as you, after buying one from Blackdog. On the Blackdog site, they make no mention of needing to do a modification to mount to the f800GS. But, no doubt, if you go by Enduristan's extremely brief, (non specific) instruction, there is a binding situation which during a ride, could potentially lock the steering one way or the other leading to the inability to freely turn the handlebars. That ain't good and could lead to catastrophe. Love to know if you found a way of making the stock mounting system work. Been messing with it an hour now and am no close to mounting it than when I began. Overall, the bag looks nice out of the box, but I have to give the front mounting system a couple thumbs down when it comes to the f800GS.

Interesting comments, I have had an Enduristan on my 2010 800GS since I bought the bike new now with 135,000kms, and never have had a problem with the front mounts which go around the steering head.

4 and a half years later, the bag is still going strong, amazing what you can pack into it, and I don't use the high set option

Cheers

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Revontulet
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
never have had a problem with the front mounts which go around the steering head.
Same here. I bought it last summer. A few thousand kilometers later I dare say it's the best tank bag I've seen so far.

Hope this helps:
Revontulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Don T OP
Bike Addict

The solution we ended up with was pretty simple - we removed the cross strap that got pinched when the handle bar is turned to the left.
Apparently it doesn't affect the stability of the front mounting with the bag in place. When the bag is removed she just click the buckles together that attach to the bag.
To avoid chafing of the front strap we have routed it through the space just behind the steering head instead of around it - just like (as far as I can see from the picture) Revontulet has done.

In two days we are leaving on a 4 weeks trip where the bag and the mounting will stand its test.

PS. Great picture McCardigan and it's good to hear that the bag is holding up well after that kind of mileage.

Don T screwed with this post 05-22-2015 at 10:45 AM
Old 05-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 3,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
The solution we ended up with was pretty simple - we removed the cross strap that got pinched when the handle bar is turned to the left.
Apparently it doesn't affect the stability of the front mounting with the bag in place. When the bag is removed she just click the buckles together that attach to the bag.
To avoid chafing of the front strap we have routed it through the space just behind the steering head instead of around it - just like (as far as I can see from the picture) Revontulet has done.

In two days we are leaving on a 4 weeks trip where the bag and the mounting will stand its test.

PS. Great picture McCardigan and it's good to hear that the bag is holding up well after that kind of mileage.
Thank you, that photo was taken last year when I toured Tasmania, at Lake Pedder, the road that takes you to that spot is one of the greatest motorcycling roads in the world. Yes a big statement, but I have been able to ride some of the best roads in the world, it runs from New Norfolk about 40 k's west of Hobart to Strathmerton, about 120kms of pure bliss, but only in the dry.

I believe that a couple of m/c journo's from MCN UK rode it last year and rated it as the best in the world!!

Its a one way, so you have to turn around and ride it back

Cheers

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote